Thread: How to open this Swiss Army watch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to open this Swiss Army watch?

A friend asked me to change the battery on this Swiss Army (Victorinox?) Quartz. However, I'm not sure how to open it. It has no cut outs or indentations that I can see, so I'm thinking that it might be screwed in. However, if it is, it is screwed in very tightly and I have no idea how to unscrew it. How do I open this? Thanks! :thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TNT13; January 15th, 2010 at 18:37. Reason: Inserted pic.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Inactive

With a Swiss Army knife?

Quote Originally Posted by taro1313 View Post
    A friend asked me to change the battery on this Swiss Army (Victorinox?) Quartz. However, I'm not sure how to open it. It has no cut outs or indentations that I can see, so I'm thinking that it might be screwed in. However, if it is, it is screwed in very tightly and I have no idea how to unscrew it. How do I open this? Thanks! :thanks
    This doesn't look like a screw back so it must be a snapon/ff back that you'll need a blade to open.
    My Swiss Army knife actually has a blade that looks like a case back knife

If it doesn't snap off then it will require a Rolex type screw back tool.

Re: With a Swiss Army knife?

Snap off case backs usually have some sort of ridge, or notch don't they? This one has nothing. I gave it a gentle try, but it doesn't open. Don't want to damage it because it isn't mine.

Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Inactive

Snap off case backs usually have some sort of ridge, or notch don't they? This one has nothing. I gave it a gentle try, but it doesn't open. Don't want to damage it because it isn't mine.
    Not all snap closure case backs have notches unfortunately. The serrations around the case back on this one are decorative and not intended for use with a tool for unscrewing, so it must be a snap off type.

Judging from the left over castings on the case between the lugs this one probably wasn't very expensive to start with and may even be a fake.

You were right, it was a snap off. It was so incredibly tight, I thought it was welded on. I took a picture of the inside. Does it look fake?

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by TNT13; January 15th, 2010 at 18:38. Reason: Inserted Pics

Inactive

You were right, it was a snap off. It was so incredibly tight, I thought it was welded on. I took a picture of the inside. Does it look fake?

Thanks for your help!
    Well, I don't know all the different movements Victorinox might put in it's Swiss army line but that is a Semag movement and Semag is an old Swiss company so it's probably fine

Thanks again for all your help. The push release for the crown was challenging to find, but not as hard as it's going to be to put the back back on! Alas I have no more strength for tonight, it will have to wait for tomorrow.

Does it look fake?
    I have a similar watch with the exact same movement. It's authentic. The ISA 1198 appears to the same movement as the semag.

Thanks, the strap says Switzerland, so I'm going to assume it's legit. Putting back the cover wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Taro - I have a Swiss Army with the same back, and I too, was trying to unscrew it. Now I'm trying to pry it off, but can't find anywhere to get a prying blade to catch under it. Did you see a tab or something to get under ? How did you do it? Thanks.

Walt

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information