How to remove "gold" plating on SS watch

Thread: How to remove "gold" plating on SS watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to remove "gold" plating on SS watch

I am trying to clean up and repair a little citizen watch for the gf. I'm replacing the crystal which was busted and the battery. The style is gold and steel alternating band, and then a Gold bezel. My question is how hard is this to remove? I would love to turn the whole thing brushed but if I can just remove the gold for now it would really clean up the look. So much of the plating has already worn off, and it just looks beat up. Thanks.

Re: How to remove "gold" plating on SS watch

GP is generally removed by professionals with reverse galvanism and the remaining plating by bead blasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    GP is generally removed by professionals with reverse galvanism and the remaining plating by bead blasting.
    For a beater watch I'm not going to pay for a pro to do it. Since it isn't real gold, and obviously isn't on there very well, my hunch is that it isn't that hard to get off.

All you have to do is sand it off. The corners can be troublesome.

Start with checking whether it is GP on SS because most GP watches that I've seen are on brass (not SS)

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post

Start with checking whether it is GP on SS because most GP watches that I've seen are on brass (not SS)
    Would they make a watch with both SS and gold plating on brass or would the silver look be plated as well? I'll research if further, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post

Gold plating on Stainless is extremely common, in fact, almost the normal. Brass cased watches are only used on lower priced economical watches.

Hi ladies,

strange suggestiones here, except sanding the layer off.

The last to be removed by "reverse galvanism" is the gold. First you'll get holes where
    the plating is gone, and if you use low voltage, you can remove the whole case, and
    only the gold is left over.

Bead blasting works for very soft materials like lacquers, and for hard but brittle materials
    like rust. But a gold surface will only be hardened by blasting, an before you get it off,
    the case will have lost its contours or even its whole shape.

Today in fact some cases are made from gilt stainless steel. But the majority of gilt
    cases have brass or similar nonferrous alloys as base material. It is easy to find out:
    The text "stainless steel back" or "fond acier inoxydable" indicates almost always that
    nothing but the back is made of steel. All steel cases (gilt or not) are designated
    without the words "back" or "fond". And it is simply nonsense that gold on brass is only
    common for cheap watches, except you regard brands like Omega as cheap.

@Watch Noob
    If you want to restore a gilt case, there is no need to remove all gold.Simply sand the
    case beginning with coarse paper step by step to finest, then polish it, clean it, and
    plate it - sounds easy, but needs lots of effort, time, and knowledge.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Refinish the whole watch by either; having a brushed finish or beadblasted finish applied to the entire watch~Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Noob View Post
    I am trying to clean up and repair a little citizen watch for the gf. I'm replacing the crystal which was busted and the battery. The style is gold and steel alternating band, and then a Gold bezel. My question is how hard is this to remove? I would love to turn the whole thing brushed but if I can just remove the gold for now it would really clean up the look. So much of the plating has already worn off, and it just looks beat up. Thanks.
    Most of this kind of gold plate is incredibly thin - I would be tempted to try some cerium oxide powder mixed with water or fine oil to polish it right off. My guess is you won't need anything nearly as aggressive as sandpaper.

I used a dremel with a buffing wheel on one of my cheapo watches. If you use low speed and keep it moving it will come out decent. Don't spin it to fast or stop moving or you will likely go past the silver plating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information