Thread: How to remove Miyota 8215 quartz movement?

How to remove Miyota 8215 quartz movement?

Miyota 8215 is a very common movement and widely used. Due to its cheap price and good accuracy but I don't think is reliable. I have yet to damage a ETA or Ronda quartz yet. But Miyota quartz to me has a 40% failure rate after my handling.

I think many of you into watch making will have a headache trying to remove the stem of this movt from the main body. The usual advice is to 'Look for the stem release button and depressed it and you can remove the stem.'

Through my experience. There is no release button to work with for Miyota quartz. Chronograph, yes! But never the basic 8215/8205. I am so frustrated of trying to release the stem after searching high and low for stem release button that I finally give up. Disassemble the movt is the only way out. I always spit at any watch using the miyota quartz.

Recently, I finally devise a way to remove the miyota 8215/8205 stem without disassemble the movt body.

Look at the picture below

There are 2 things that hold the stem, one is the plastic board and another is the hacking metal plate. Use a sharp and flat pen knife and try to slot into it and lift it up abit. Just enough gap to release the stem will do. Once this 2 items are lifted up, pulling out the stem will be easy. Once you are done and try screwing back the stem to secure it. Use the penknife to press on the metal plate and plastic plate to is original position to secure the stem.

Be patient and careful. If you lift up too much of the plates. It will be disastrous because stem holder will not work and you will end up with a stem non secure. Hacking and time setting will be a problem. Then you will need to disassemble the quartz parts to get the stem in correct position before reassemble everything to make it work.

So far this method works flawlessly. I never need to disassemble the 8215 again. Hope it helps!!
    Last edited by Triton9; October 2nd, 2012 at 16:51.
    " A great time piece on your wrist shows you are serious of time "

Re: How to remove Miyota 8215 quartz movement?

The Miyota 8215 and 8205 you mention are both mechanical, automatic movements, not quartz.
    The image shows the basic quartz movement based on the 2035 movement.
    To remove the stem without dismantling the whole thing, look just below the bottom arrow indicted in your drawing and you will see a small dimple in the return lever. push this down with a pointed instrument and remove stem. This has to be done with the crown pushed in all the way. If you cannot see the dimple straight away, pull the crown/stem out and in to see the lever moving. You should bee able to spot the dimple.

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Zero View Post
    The Miyota 8215 and 8205 you mention are both mechanical, automatic movements, not quartz.The image shows the basic quartz movement based on the 2035 movement.To remove the stem without dismantling the whole thing, look just below the bottom arrow indicted in your drawing and you will see a small dimple in the return lever. push this down with a pointed instrument and remove stem. This has to be done with the crown pushed in all the way. If you cannot see the dimple straight away, pull the crown/stem out and in to see the lever moving. You should bee able to spot the dimple.
    Sorry for the wrong name but I have try before even with this drawing from citizen website. The dimple never works. I probably try a hundred times and never work once. In fact, you do a search on goggle. This is a common problem. A lot of people not able to remove the stem even as advise on depressing the dimple you mention.
    " A great time piece on your wrist shows you are serious of time "

Sorry, but the dimple does work. I have done hundreds of these and it always works if you do it right.
    Push the crown all the way home, press dimple with tweezers or something and pull out stem at same time.
    If it does not work, the crown is probably not all the way home, or the stem is a little too short, leaving the lever slightly covered by the plastic parts. The short stem is quite common, the buggers putting them together cut the stem too short, superglue the crown to the stem a little to far in and hey, it doesn't work properly, and make the job of removing it a whole lot trickier. All for the sake of cutting a new stem.

I had to just remove the stem from my Android Octopuz with the same movement. Pushing the stem in all the way and pressing the dimple absolutely works. Made short work of removing the movement. Count_Zero, thanks for saving me a ton of time. Triton9, thanks for the diagram for reference.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Well, you could have read the drawing....

Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Thread Information