• 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By webicons
  • 1 Post By webicons
  • 1 Post By bluesguitarplayer56
  • 1 Post By 1afc
  • 1 Post By fixer29

Thread: I just finished my sixth.

I just finished my sixth.

I have a philosophy regarding watch design, that is in flux. I love my Rolexes, and the lesser brands I own. I have the ability to machine things, to design, and assemble things. I see the multi thousand dollar watches, and while spectacular, really don't have technologies that trickle down to the somewhat average buyer. I like the ETA workhorses, 2824. 2836, and the 7750. I prefer a movement that can be serviced by the average watchmaker, and some of it by me. That leaves me to the case, dial, movement fittings, and other directions. This watch has me designing and laser cutting a chapter ring which hovers above the dial and hands. This was my first lume job, using a UV adhesive which allowed me to not be rushed. The dial is not 100%, as I have not filled in the cutouts with paint. The case is a light homage to the seventies, being made out of titanium. The case back is my idea, a four screw pinch system(titanium shoulder washers/ stainless screws). I prefer not to screw down the case back, possibly pulling out the o-ring if silicone is not sufficiently applied. The crown is my design. I didn't use crown guards, preferring that the case's milled hole support the crown. I added a star sapphire, just because I hadn't yet, and because it is my birth stone. I will get that date alignment figured out, that is the movements fault. Sapphire crystal with a stainless bezel, double o-ring case back, and double o-ring crown. No spring bar, 303 stainless rod, drilled and tapped, stainless screws with titanium shoulder washers. Name:  IMG_20170305_155944.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  899.8 KBName:  IMG_20170305_145953.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  2.68 MBName:  IMG_20170305_145920.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  2.83 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by john800; March 6th, 2017 at 02:39.

Re: I just finished my sixth.

Looks awesome! Well done!
    john800 likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM '801 EE Motor Barrel'

Very nice! Floating chapter is a beautiful touch.

Not many people can look at their watch with the satisfaction that they made it themselves.

Pic of caseback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    john800 likes this.

Name:  IMG_20170305_173305.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  981.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    Very nice! Floating chapter is a beautiful touch.

Not many people can look at their watch with the satisfaction that they made it themselves.

Pic of caseback? It is quick pic, I may later get some better ones. The case back is held down with the edges of the four shoulder washers.

I like the concept. Nice and simple and plenty tough.

john800 likes this.

Excellent job john800! I like the chapter ring. Can you share how this was done in more detail? That looks very similar to a concept I was considering for a skeleton watch I was building at the time.
    john800 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesguitarplayer56 View Post
    Excellent job john800! I like the chapter ring. Can you share how this was done in more detail? That looks very similar to a concept I was considering for a skeleton watch I was building at the time.
    I designed it on Solidworks, converted it to a DXF file, and bribed the guy here who runs the laser cutter. We do heart implants here out of Nitinol. I then mixed up some UV resin with some green luminous powder, be careful to not crush the crystals. I placed the mixture into a syringe with a large bore needle and filled them up, slightly over. I then took some 1200 sandpaper over wet glass and lap sanded until the lume was flush with the chapter ring. A little more lap polish and there you are. I think about filming my process, but the way I work is kind of wonky. I have a rough idea and get most of the mechanical s done on Solidworks, A lot of it is just looking at the parts and sculpturing them. I will be breaking the watch down after I paint the indices on the spare dial, more pics then, thanks.

john800 Congrats on the great work and that looks neat!

Just a suggestion if you are looking for an alternative to the case back as I don't know what your WR is at present.
    I'd suggest using a Vostok style screwdown where they have a "floating" case back secured by a screw-down ring.

If it fits your movement I'd suggest even using the Vostok flat seals which are cheap enough.

If you were to use this I would seriously suggest making the screw-down ring a bit wider as the standard ones are a bit narrow.

PS the screwed lugs also look idiot (me) proof as well!
    Last edited by 1afc; March 7th, 2017 at 03:24.
    john800 likes this.

Very nice. The case looks great, and that floating chapter ring is a cool idea. One question would be movement did you use? cos that crooked day alignment would bug the hell out of me.
    john800 likes this.

I have been having pretty good luck with WR on this design. Using a double o-ring makes the screws work harder, so I may just settle for one. I will look up your suggestions. I just try to avoid screw down crowns. Thanks so much for the time in your response.

Thread Information