Like a watch except for the bezel...
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Like a watch except for the bezel...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Like a watch except for the bezel...

Hello!

I like a watch that is for sale on sales forum. Everything about it but the bezel. If I bought the watch, took the current bezel off, and supplied it to a watchmaker, can a new bezel of my specifications be made for a reasonable price? Is this even possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Formerly pdxgti8v Hidden Content

Re: Like a watch except for the bezel...

Quote Originally Posted by xbgen2 View Post
    . . . . If I bought the watch, took the current bezel off, and supplied it to a watchmaker, can a new bezel of my specifications be made for a reasonable price? . . . .
    Sure.

I'd budget approximately $1,000 U.S..

... same guess... you 'd have to imagine ... one piece off ... just the indirect costs ( Germany 19% taxes; 100$ Material - mainly organizing, preparing, buying and environmental things and +-200$ equipping and programming the machines) would be ~300$..500$.... wihtout a single process on the part being done and pithy estimated carefully as no one but you knows your specifications....
    Last edited by MechaMind; February 18th, 2017 at 19:22.

Wow, I thought with CAD, duplicating a watches bezel 3-dimensionally, adding a few different marks, and cutting it out of a chunk of stainless steel would be a doddle...I guess i was wrong...Jeez!..thanks guys...
    Formerly pdxgti8v Hidden Content

Its not just cutting it out... If you would like to have a precious part you will have to take new steel as you don't know what "happend" to the junk part ( and if it would be still after specification..) but that is not the matter of cost..... ( I think the part material would be 5 to 10 Euro itself)

A precise and reliable router bit for stainless steel is about 30 to 50 $ and you will probably need different diametres. You will have CAD data - ok- but how to manage the tolerances. On one side those of your tool on the other side the tolerances required by your part ( you want to be precise so you will have to know both). Professional CAD Programms have the possibility to apply tolerances to 3D model but for this you would have to measure up the original pat in detail...

dependent on the bezel its a mixed job part... you would need a lathe with active tools or a CNC lathe and a CNC router.. next is that the parts would precisely have to be kept in working position .... the anvils, collets and machine related parts for adapting the precut bezel to the machine are not existent for a one piece manufacturer but for the manufacturer of the original..... Stainless steel is not to be cut HSC on every machine since
    the energy applied by the router bit heats up the steel and most of the high content alloys are hardening on atmosphere / by convection cooling..... so the job would have to run slow... dependent on the complexity and amount of the single steps to be done such a bezel could take 3 hours on a solid non specialized cnc ... ( man machine hour in Germany is about 65 to 90 Euro dependent on the machine and the environment needed...

To serve quality parts, you would have to check the functional dimensions afterwards, which also needs expensive probes and testing tools....

To end up with the argument that probably 0.000001% of all watchmakers on the world would have such a machine setup... ( 300k$to 600k$ for the lathe and same for the mill would not pay off for a few bezels in life!)

If you would be willing to take such an effort do not search for a watchmaker that will do the parts but search for precision mechanics workshop and afterwards ask a watchmaker to assemble the part to the watch
    Last edited by MechaMind; February 19th, 2017 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by xbgen2 View Post
    Hello!

I like a watch that is for sale on sales forum. Everything about it but the bezel. If I bought the watch, took the current bezel off, and supplied it to a watchmaker, can a new bezel of my specifications be made for a reasonable price? Is this even possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Images might help. Value of watch and definition of "reasonable" ? I know a casemaker who can make most casing parts. It likely won't be "cheap"...at least not by my definition.

Assuming you're talking about a one off piece and you're not going into production, contact a local machinist or machine shop, a local gunsmith, or a tool and die maker. If you give them the specs, they might be able to make it significantly cheaper than $1,000 using a manual lathe and mill. Depending on the specs, you might be looking at closer to $100 or so.
    herdingwetcats likes this.

Sure.
    TomBombadil likes this.

Depends on the watch, and what you want the bezel to look like? But you can buy ready made replacement bezels for some watches, like Seiko divers for example. Also, is it the whole bezel you want replaced, or just the insert? Because just replacing the insert would be an easier way of doing it if you just wanted a different style.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information