Luminous Paste Question
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Luminous Paste Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luminous Paste Question

Hi Everyone,

I am doing a quartz movement swap and mini service on my brother's old ESQ and I noticed on the bezel at the 12 o'clock position the lume pearl is missing...there is a pretty large space open [see attached].

I have never worked with lume paste before...but is it possible [and difficult] to clean out that space and maybe whip up a batch of past and fill in that hole?

Figured it may be a good opportunity to teach myself a new skill.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Craig M; January 8th, 2010 at 01:36.
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Hidden Content

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Re: Luminous Past Question

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am doing a quartz movement swap and mini service on my brother's old ESQ and I noticed on the bezel at the 12 o'clock position the lume pearl is missing...there is a pretty large space open [see attached].

I have never worked with lume paste before...but is it possible [and difficult] to clean out that space and maybe whip up a batch of past and fill in that hole?

Figured it may be a good opportunity to teach myself a new skill.

Thanks
    There has been some discussion about using lume paste on bezels in the past. I think the conclusion is that whatever you place will have to be sealed in order to keep the lume material protected from the external environment. A simple solution may be to seal it with some clear acrylic model paint. If you are using lume powder, you may be able to mix it directly into some clear epoxy or the like and apply.

I've purchased some Stronium powder from glonation.com but realy haven't gotten around to testing it yet.
    Last edited by billermo; January 3rd, 2010 at 01:24.

Re: Luminous Paste Question

I've actually been reading that using a mix of an epoxy resign mixed with some powder is a great DIY bezel pearl..I'll try it out and post the results
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

I've actually been reading that using a mix of an epoxy resign mixed with some powder is a great DIY bezel pearl..I'll try it out and post the results
    I have done, and it does work.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Please do! I too have a bezel that I'd like to redo and would like any pointers or tips anyone could offer.

I do recall that one of the distributors selling Super Luminova offered a couple of different mixtures. They did state that it could be used to fill in the markers on engraved bezels. I believe they sold a kit that came with a few small jars of pigment and binders and whatever was necessary to paint both the dial and the bezel. Unfortunately I don't recall where I saw that...
    Need a laugh? Hidden Content

I will document it with copious amounts of photos...and succeed or fail post them up here..

I have been picking up tips all over the web tonight, due to the nature and shape of the bezel 'hole'...I asked my brother if he wanted a pearl or if he wanted me to fill the hole thing in...he stated he would prefer the entire space filled in to give it a stronger presence...

I ordered my lume powder, and will be getting my other parts at the hardware store tomorrow...I'll re-post the process and results

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    Please do! I too have a bezel that I'd like to redo and would like any pointers or tips anyone could offer.

I do recall that one of the distributors selling Super Luminova offered a couple of different mixtures. They did state that it could be used to fill in the markers on engraved bezels. I believe they sold a kit that came with a few small jars of pigment and binders and whatever was necessary to paint both the dial and the bezel. Unfortunately I don't recall where I saw that...
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Watches:

Go Yankees!

I will document it with copious amounts of photos...and succeed or fail post them up here..
    Please do~Cheers!

Re: Luminous Paste Question: TUTORIAL ADDED!

Ok everyone as promised; here is a quick tutorial on making a bezel pearl from epoxy resin.

Materials:

• clear drying epoxy resin [5 minute setting so you can work with it]
    • white acrylic paint [like model building paint]
    • lume powder [I got a small vile from FindingKing for just over $2]
    • Old bracelet pin tool, or a paper clip stretched out would work
    • book of matches [my mini paint brush: optional, use what works for you]
    • masking tape.

The first thing I did was tape off the area where I wanted to make the new pearl. My brother [his watch] agreed to let me fill in the entire hole rather than just the original round pearl.

here you can see the old circle pearl is missing, along with the surrounding material [I have NO idea what it was originally].

I took a very small amount of the white paint and wanted to give the area a very light coat. I used the back end of a match as a brush, I ran the end over a file to give it more of a brush texture.

Here you can see the paint in the hole. Since the epoxy dries clear [which you want to have the best glow] the white paint give the pearl a solid background.

After I removed the tape I had to scrape some extra paint off of the outer part of the bezel hole. little housekeeping

I used equal parts lume powder, and epoxy mixture...but I made an error here...can you tell what it is?

mixing the two on the brown cardboard was the error...you can see here the brown specks in the lume mix..that's just unacceptable.

just for kicks...here is what the mixture looked like when charged with the lights off. You can really see the dirt in this one

Luckily on the flip side of the cardboard was a white side...Here is the mix I used for the watch. I also was more careful in how aggressively I mixed this time around.

Sorry for the bad pic, this is how I took the mixture and applied it to the hole...thankfully this tool tip was cheap...cuz its useless now.

Here is the completed pearl in the watch. It's hard to see but the color of the new pearl matches the lume on the dial perfectly...The best part is that the epoxy dries with a gloss [it's essentially clear plastic] so it looks and feels great.

a not so great pic of the lume after just a few seconds of charging...you can really see how that bezel pearl pops.

This also works with traditional round pearls...it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Hope this helps someone down the line.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Craig M; January 8th, 2010 at 01:54.
    surbarbro likes this.
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Watches:

Go Yankees!

That is sweet. I will be trying that out
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    2009 Omega Seamaster 300

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Re: Luminous Paste Question: TUTORIAL ADDED!

Thank You! That looks great! You made it seem so easy, and the result looks fantastic. I'm certainly going to attempt that on one of my watches with a non-lume triangle on the bezel.
    Need a laugh? Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information