My next project
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Samantha
  • 1 Post By maillchort
  • 1 Post By pithy
  • 2 Post By BenchGuy

Thread: My next project

My next project

After my first, and successful, watch tear down and fix I'm ready for my next attempt. I finished the Seiko 5 7s26c and it's running great now after being completely dead. I found a movement in a drawer and I may try to service it. It runs but seems slow. It's sort a weird one, a manual wind that says Ceres on one side and ETA on the other. Hopefully it'll be easy. I'll take plenty of pictures.

Name:  ceres1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  415.9 KBName:  ceres2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  416.8 KB
    Last edited by mharris660; 3 Days Ago at 17:29.
    I think Colonel Sanders is going to be named Secretary of Nutrition.

Re: My next project

That's a basic straight wind ETA. It should be a good one to tackle. Good Luck!
    Samantha
    mharris660 likes this.

Not weird at all, lots of watch movements are branded with a name completely different from the movement maker. Just did a little early 70s Doxa with a 7 3/4"' Eta movement with a Doxa caliber number and no Eta markings anywhere.

The crown wheel screw is almost certainly left hand thread, and judging from the look of the hour wheel I'd peg it out (check the canon pinion for rust or gunk), peg the jewels too, pithwood your pinions. If it hasn't been manhandled in the past will probably be within 20 seconds in 6 positions, Eta stuff is almost always a cakewalk.
    mharris660 likes this.

Probably the photos but the shock springs look interesting.
    mharris660 likes this.
    Check out the latest Tour installment: "BenchGuy, Watchmaker/Adventurer" Hidden Content Hidden Content

thanks!

I just finished taking most of it apart and there was a tiny piece of coil "spring" under the hair spring. I can't find anything broken on the hair spring so I have no idea where if came from. It was so small I almost missed it. It's a wonder it didn't interfere with the spring's movement.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris660 View Post
    I just finished taking most of it apart and there was a tiny piece of coil "spring" under the hair spring. I can't find anything broken on the hair spring so I have no idea where if came from. It was so small I almost missed it. It's a wonder it didn't interfere with the spring's movement.
    Image?
    Also in your first image, hs terminal curve appears to be misshapen...and the coils seem bunched up on the hs stud side.
    Not really a good enough image to tell. For most, hs manipulation is somewhat advanced work.

Regards,
    BG
    pithy and mharris660 like this.

Thanks! I got it all back together and it's keeping great time. A little back story. I got this watch a long time ago, I don't even remember getting it really. Had a dial that said Doxa and I love Doxa. The case was stuck and I could never open it. Finally the other day I got it open and to my surprise it was that Ceres ETA 1080. After I fixed that Little Seiko 5 7s26c I wanted to try something different. This would be my second attempt after the Seiko. After I got the now known ETA 1080 apart I was a little worried. I took a lot of photos but I wouldn't have an ultrasonic cleaning machine for a few days and was afraid I would forget what went where. It was actually fairly easy except the balance and hairspring, it just fought me all the way in. Finally it just dropped in. I didn't put the dial back on because I'm not a "franken" fan so I left it all separate. Here it is ticking away.

Name:  DoxaETA.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  366.8 KB
    Last edited by mharris660; 2 Minutes Ago at 10:41.

Thread Information