Need help with CWC W10 Front loader

Thread: Need help with CWC W10 Front loader

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with CWC W10 Front loader

Hello - Thought I'd try for a little help here. I recently purchased a cwc w10 off the sales forum - with no hands. Apparently, the tritium hands crumbled into dust when the crystal was removed. Anyway, I bought this for the challenge...

I have a crystal remover, and have removed both the crystal and dial. I want to figure out how to remove the stem/crown from this movement. I've searched on the web, but with no luck - only a picture of what the stem and crown look like - a two piece type of system. If anyone can shed some light, it would be appreciated.

As an aside, I believe that this model, from 1979 has an eta 2750 movement in it. When I looked up that movement, the hand sizes are 150/90, with a .25 sweep second. I ordered just that configuration; however, the hour hand is WAY to big for this movement.... it looks like I would need a 100/90 set - is this possible, or is the correct size?

Thanks in advance for any help you could type my way....

Adam

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Re: Need help with CWC W10 Front loader

2 piece stems need to be pulled apart. There are levers and pullers available at most horological tool supply houses. However other options exist regarding a hobby approach. Basic care and attention to avoid damaging the case, stem and crown are necessary. A set of brass tweezers can be employed by having the stem in the setting position and insert the tweezers along the taper between the crown and case until snug (like trying to grab the stem)- two options - one is to continue to push the taper in forcing the crown and outer stem apart from the inner stem. The second is to gently and controlled pry the stem apart from the inner stem. Both of these methods come with high risk to the case, stem and crown. Another option is a set of pliers similar to or modified electrician dikes / cutters but the sharp cutter edges are dulled and polished so they would not cut the stem. Also the pliers should be blocked so they cannot close completely adding a safety to avoid cutting the stem. The angle of the dikes when inserted between the case and crown when closed will pry the stems apart. A heavy piece of plastic sheet should be against the case to avoid any damage, Also the plier contact surfaces should be polished. Look out for flying crowns! If wary place the watch inside a plastic baggy while removing the stem to catch it.
    All the best, Henry

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Sometimes the crown can be turned so the slot in the stem allows the movement to slide out leaving the crown portion in the case.

Note, this is only true with these W10 types...
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Dear lysanderxiii,

I never saw a construction like that but I know it exsists.
    do you have a photograph ot this stem construction?

RJ van Melle

All split stems are the same. The images below are an example, the two parts can be pulled apart, the female portion will snap over the male part, but this is hard on the female section. Some designs, like the Hamilton and CWC W10s have sufficient space to allow the two sections to slide out from one another, but others, the joint is inside the case tube and must be pulled apart.

Thank you so much for those pictures - I really appreciate it....

I haven't had the time to try to remove it yet, but your pictures give me a lot more confidence in what I'm up against.

Thanks - Adam
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

So wether you can slide the parts apart is beceause the case design...
    O well, another thing learned here...
    I never checked that, beceause possible dial damage...

Thank you.

RJ van Melle.
    Last edited by rmelle; February 27th, 2010 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    All split stems are the same. The images below are an example, the two parts can be pulled apart, the female portion will snap over the male part, but this is hard on the female section. Some designs, like the Hamilton and CWC W10s have sufficient space to allow the two sections to slide out from one another, but others, the joint is inside the case tube and must be pulled apart.

Great photo! I have a similar problem that my Hamilton W10 not running well as come with a one piece stem. Local shop for watch parts seems having no idea on 2-piece stem. Would you advise where I can get a replacement? Thanks a lot indeed, Warm Regards, Tung

Did you already found your 2 piece stem of your Hamilton?

Stems can be found in the usual places (OF, JB, CMH, etc), sometimes you may have to settle for the split stem adapter. That's a female split portion that screws onto a regular stem to make a one piece stem a two piece stem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information