Open source timing software. - Page 12
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by jappa View Post
    Hmm I am unable to get good graph using tg... But I am starting to really think that service is now necessary. I listened recording made using piezo mic and theres some extra noise, kling kling kling on some positions... Check this out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tavp9t1nz2...noise.mp3?dl=0

I am rotating watch to different positions starting from 10 sec and sometims extra kling kling kling is heard. I know nothing about watch movements but I assume this is not normal. What do you say?
    I'm no expert, but that does not sound normal. It's almost like the balance is hitting something...i.e. doesn't have enough clearance. Is there a dramatic decrease in amplitude when the pinging begins??

Quote Originally Posted by jappa View Post
    kling kling kling
    ... is the sound of the hairspring which seems to be dirty (minimal amount of oil) and probably sticking short time at the pins of the regulator. Adhesion ends when the balance travelled a few degrees after zero crossing, the hairspring abruptly unsticks and this will cause an extra (bad) vibration. You can even see this under the loupe.
    You should visit you watchmaker to clean the hairspring as a gesture of goodwill.

I just stumbled upon this thread and of course I had to download and play with it!
    Although I have no, but absolutely no idea of what I am looking at, this is a fantastic piece of software, Well i managed to get the data from my only mechanical watch that I have with me.
    I have learned an awful lot in the hour or so that it took me to read through the thread and the links provided.
    For a complete NOOB as me, while I get the visual representation of the Tick and tock on the right, what is the graph on the left showing?

As we are all more or less serial hoarders it would be great to have an user input field on the right in the title so that you can personalize the graph with let say the watch name before taking a screen shot and save it for future reference

I tested the SW on a Windows 7 with my Logitech skype headset and on the laptop which runs Win 8.1 with the Bose quiet -something- phone headset. Both worked great, although I got the impression that the signal pick up was more stable on the laptop.

Thanks for all the hard work!

D

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Tickalot View Post
    ... is the sound of the hairspring which seems to be dirty (minimal amount of oil) and probably sticking short time at the pins of the regulator. Adhesion ends when the balance travelled a few degrees after zero crossing, the hairspring abruptly unsticks and this will cause an extra (bad) vibration. You can even see this under the loupe.
    You should visit you watchmaker to clean the hairspring as a gesture of goodwill.
    I went to watchmaker and he said that movement is in excellent shape and full service would not do any good, could do the opposite. Only thing was that balance wheel or something was not centered or something like that, he suspected that there has been slight impact or something... He tinkered around with it a bit and no more extra sounds, and, well take a look at yourself...

I would say that this is pretty good for 15 year old movement designed 50 years ago, huh? Though in real life there is positional differences but anyways, much better than before. He did not charge anything even though I tried to pay...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1861-rukattu.png 
Views:	451 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	6929818
    Last edited by jappa; February 3rd, 2016 at 21:56.

Thanks for the effort developing the software, just used homebrew to compile the OS X -version and it works well enough even with a simple headphone mic:

One small suggestion however - it seems that the software does not allow for decimals in the lift angle, would it be possible to change this? Many older Seiko calibers have lift angles of 54.5 (as the 6117 above) and one even has a lift angle of 52.36 (cal 6159), so if it would be possible to use two decimals it would be nice.

Also, it might be helpful to include the Mac OS instructions already in the first post - this topic is getting a bit lengthy and the search functions on the forum are not exactly ideal for searching within topics. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi my friends!

Thanks for the suggestions, I just wanted to tell you that I have not disappeared, I just had a lot of work in the past months. There are new versions of tg to come: I have parallelized the algorithm, which makes it much snappier on multi core machines, and a fellow named wahlstedt on GitHub has made improvements to the user interface.

A question: does anyone prefer the tg-lt version to the regular one?

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    Hi my friends!

Thanks for the suggestions, I just wanted to tell you that I have not disappeared, I just had a lot of work in the past months. There are new versions of tg to come: I have parallelized the algorithm, which makes it much snappier on multi core machines, and a fellow named wahlstedt on GitHub has made improvements to the user interface.

I only ever use the TG version. I don't use tg-lt at all. Is the new version available or is it "coming soon?"

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum. I used this very nice software on several of my watches with good success. It really works well. I'm impressed how it digs the watch beat signal from ambient noise (does it use some kind of synchronous filtering?). Anyway, I have a request. I also would like measure the beat of a pendulum clock to analyze escapement characteristics. A major difference is that beat time is 1 beat per second, which equates to 3600 beats an hour. The current software seems limited to, I think, about 11000 bph. Can you modify the software to have this extended range?

Michel

Hi my friends!

I use the tg-lt version on an old win xp box. I expect it is extra bother to make two versions, so I would understand if it went away.

Regular for me.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information