Open source timing software. - Page 19
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Inconsistency in data beat error.

Dear Contrate_Wheel. I have had many hours of doing tests with the program you do not a have done. I still admired the performance.

However I have found on several occasions some inconsistency in the data delivery on the beat error.

It is possible that the algorithm is choosing the third sound of the entire event 3, (1: Unlock 2: Impulse and 3: Drop or blockage) However, the sound of falling or blockage that is the stroke of tooth wheel exhaust against locking face of the pallet, is not very stable, ie not as stable as coming from the true clock regulator that is the balance wheel.

Here also I have two screenshot made almost at the same instant. The first with tg and another with other software. I tested with two other software and the results are consistent with each other but not with tg.
    Name:  beat error xx.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  154.5 KBName:  beat error xxx.PNG
Views: 656
Size:  9.3 KB

Therefore asymmetry that is displaying the program is not the balance wheel but relationship escape wheel / pallets.

If the graph is derived from the time between an unlocking and the next, this screenshot is not corresponding.
    Name:  Como calcula el beat error.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  162.5 KB

The amplitude is not recorded. But if it is registered the beat error. If the amplitude is read between unlocking event to fall, How you are determined by the software here?

It may be that I'm doing something wrong. If it were so I need to make the necessary corrections.

Guido
    contrate_wheel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Velasquez View Post
    It is possible that the algorithm is choosing the third sound of the entire event 3, (1: Unlock 2: Impulse and 3: Drop or blockage) However, the sound of falling or blockage that is the stroke of tooth wheel exhaust against locking face of the pallet, is not very stable, ie not as stable as coming from the true clock regulator that is the balance wheel.
    Hi my friend Guido,

sorry for longly deserting this forum...
    Thanks for your testing: you are exactly right about tg not using the first sound as its reference!

For the beat error, to be precise, tg uses the entire waveform of each tic as a reference. When the two waveforms do not match, as in your case, the third sound usually takes the lion's share.

When constructing this algorithm, I considered for some time if my choice might be an error. I was aware that most timing machines (and timing programs) use the first sound, but on the other hand that sound is difficult to detect in really crappy audio (remember that tg was designed specifically for really crappy audio). Unfortunately, no sound comes directly from the balance wheel: the first is determined by the impulse jewel impinging upon the lever, the third is determined by the locking of the escape wheel. So I got the impression (but I didn't experiment, therefore I don't know) that moving the banking pins would disturb the symmetry of the first sound, and altering the pallets' depths would affect the third sound.

I also reasoned that if there is a difference of several milliseconds in the two waveforms, whatever the reason, this fact must be as indicative of asymmetry in the escapement, as it is a several millisecond beat error. Trying to adjust a watch to 0.0ms indicated beat error when something else is off-balance by, say, 3ms, is, to my beginner's understanding, pointless. Timing machines that only give the beat error, might lead the user to believe that once the beat error is 0.0 then the escapement is in perfect symmetry. Often, looking at the graphs, I don't know the reason, but I know that it isn't.

Let me repeat that these are my beginner's impressions. If I am making any mistakes, I would be grateful for them to be pointed out.

Hi friend Contrate_wheel, thank you for answering my concerns about the software that you have made available to us. I mean what you have done with this software, it is fascinating. What explains that the program algorithm is designed to work with a very poor sound, it is true. And in fact I think that given the nature of the sound of a clock, it's amazing what the software manages to make with such a bad sign. However, that in itself is already an advantage. If you can achieve both a bad sign, sure you can get amazing results with a reasonably clear signal. My opinion is that as the software is now better focus our attention on finding a suitable microphone and preamplifier. A SUGGESTION THAT HERE IS WHAT I USE: reparacionderelojes.weebly.com/modificacioacuten-de-pyle-pp440.html

About the sound from the balance wheel, with all respect I would point out that sound the impulse jewel contact, YES it COME FROM THE BALANCE WHEEL. Please see this video that I have prepared: The Beat Noise Of The Swiss Lever Escapement.
    The video REALIZE from this: Audemars Piguet escapement

Although I am not an expert on the subject, I still think it would be better to use the first sound waveform ticking for a more accurate beat error.

Thank you very much

Guido
    Mi email. omegacronoARROBAgmailDOTcom

contrate_wheel

Thank you for the efforts !!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-14-16-29-45_com.instagram.android.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	9045226

Has anyone tried this software with a piezo yet ? What were the results ?
    My 2209 movement site: Hidden Content
    My collection: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by coupeborgward View Post
    Has anyone tried this software with a piezo yet ? What were the results ?
    I suggest at least 10% of the posts here are dealing with piezo-recordings. Just read through the postings and have a look for keywords like: piezo, guitar pickup, pickup clip, pick-up-clip, clip-on guitar pickup, conact microphone.

In short:
    YES
    Result: perfect signal (additional preamp recommended)

Where is the software that you guys are using ?

Quote Originally Posted by cleef16 View Post
    Where is the software that you guys are using ?
    Hidden between the lines if you cannot find the software you really missed cool stuff.
    Try to find the secret word tg.zip and have fun

Timegrapher cf tg

Just a quick comparison.

The changing traces on tg are a result of my microphone not picking up the signals all the time.
    Timegrapher is more stable but one can't complain about the value of tg. Fantastic.

FYI Watch was Parnis Big Pilot with a Seagull movement.

Name:  Timegrapher Parnis Small 20160830_121649.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  63.7 KB
    Name:  Parnis 20160830.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  227.1 KB
    Last edited by 1afc; August 30th, 2016 at 17:36.

Re: Timegrapher cf tg

Thank you so much to this community for the software, it is awesome. I have a watch that was losing about 20s a day and when I put it on this, the beat error also showed 1.8ms so I sent it out for service.

Quick question, while everything looks normal, it does not seem to record amplitude. It just shows two dashes ("-"). Is that normal?

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information