Open source timing software. - Page 20
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Hi, my friends!

@Guido Velasquez: Thanks for your suggestion about the amplifier. Tg has now all basic basic features, so I really would like to focus on the amplifier design (and writing an operating instructions manual), I only need to find the time for these tings... I understand what you mean about sounds coming from the balance wheel, in fact, I have been inaccurate in my statement. I meant to say that no sound comes exclusively from the balance wheel, so there is always at least a second part involved.

@avihai: Thanks for shaing tg on instagram!

@cleef16: I understand that this thread is now rather long. I have collected the links and relevant install instructions on the github homepage of tg: https://github.com/vacaboja/tg The program is really straightforward to use (once you are familiar with the workings of lever escapements), but unfortunately I didn't find the time to write a manual. So, for operating instructions, you still have to read this thread.

@1afc: Nice! Was tg calibrated with the quartz watch procedure?

@jhermit: Yes, it is normal. The dash sign only tells you that tg is unsure about the amplitude, this happens usually because the sound quality is not good enough. Nevertheless, the rate indication of a calibrated tg is, in my opinion, very reliable.

As I said, my priority now, regarding tg, is to experiment a little with amplifiers and write a little user manual (also building a Debian package and fiddling with the amplitude algorithm would be nice...). Hope to do these things before Christmas or so. Thanks again for all your contributions to this thread!
    Iandk likes this.

Thanks for providing this software. Works great. Congratulations.
    I took an old SKX007, unscrewed the back, and used my Logitech cam for sound input. I was able to regulate it to cca. +1 sec/day dial down. While the movement has significant positional variation it averages to +2 sec/day after 24 hours on hand.

contrate_wheel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    Hi, my friends!

@1afc: Nice! Was tg calibrated with the quartz watch procedure?
    Yes it was. I was surprised to see it so far off but I understand there is no need for atomic clock performance from a soundcard.

Hello contrate_wheel. Thank you very much for your work with the software. If I could have your email maybe you could start making a quick guide to using the software. I think I'd do it. In addition I have some documents that you might be useful. You could send the. Greetings.

Thanks contrate_wheel! tg is really cool and I got my SKX009 down from consistently -15 down to around +-1 -- it's only been a day or two of unusual activity, so hard to say confidently, but the initial signs are encouraging. I do have a question. When I have my watch being "scoped", I do see the s/d vary quite a lot when it's just sitting there not being moved (from +4 to +7 or -11 to -23!), and I don't know if it's an artifact of my laptop, or if my watch is just screwed up -- it does have significant positional variation (I've seen -29 [12 up] to about +17 [face up]). Unfortunately, I don't have a second watch, nor a hardware timegrapher and so am curious if anyone else has seen this. Or do I just need to find a local watchmaker who's willing to put it on their timegrapher to see? I also didn't have a good rig before I regulated the watch, so I don't know if it was this way before I fiddled with it.

@1afc: I was surprised too that audio cards can be so much off, but apparently it's common (there was even some more or less scientific study on the subject, that I might have linked in one of the 20 pages of this thread, it was motivated by issues of audio/video synchronization, or something like that). I was lucky that the two machines on which I developed tg were almost spot on, so initially I made the incorrect assumption that this was the norm...

@guido: Thanks, I will send you my e-mail address by PM.

@drewcsillag: It's very hard to say without a recording of the watch, or at least a screenshot of tg's trace. Could you share one of these?

I've read a lot of the posts but I may have missed something so I'll ask anyway.

tg is a fantastic piece of software and I enjoy using it.

However, my main microphone is a an old USB voip phone that I have skinned down so the mic is not be obstructed by buttons etc.

It works ok but is already many years old and I'm looking for a new one to take it's place because it will eventually break.

So the questions are
    1. please let me know what USB mic you use and where you got it?
    2. is it a piezo mic?
    3. I have a soldering iron but that's about the extent of my electronics capabilities so has anyone found the need for an amp/filter and are there any workable modules that can be used without fabrication?
    4. Has anyone devised a good stand for positional checking?

TIA

FYI, I am also experiencing the "inaccurate beat error" reading @Guido described. Maybe it is because of sound quality issues, but TG was reading a 1.8 BE and a Timegrapher was reading .1.

Quote Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
    FYI, I am also experiencing the "inaccurate beat error" reading @Guido described. Maybe it is because of sound quality issues, but TG was reading a 1.8 BE and a Timegrapher was reading .1.
    Thanks, this thing has been discussed over and over again. Well, I guess that I should do what the users want, therefore I will try to change tg so that it reads the same beat error as most timegraphers.

A recording of your watch demonstrating the bug would help me a lot in this. Could you send me one?

Thanks for the software!

I have an old MBP15 with Mac OS Sierra on it. Installation went smooth and look like it works fine. I'm using a mic of my Meizu headset right now and it doesn't seem very reliable. I know my watch is within 20 seconds and TG shows from -80 to +50. I guess I need a better microphone right?

All those cheap contact (guitar) microphones have a 1/4" plug (either male or female) and I'm not sure how to pair it with the MBP. Is some kind of 1/4 to 1/8 adapter sufficient? Please share your setup if you have a MacBook or something similar.
    Hidden Content (lost) / Certina DS-1 Auto Chrono / Hidden Content /... / ???

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread Information