Open source timing software. - Page 21
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by scoff View Post
    I have an old MBP15 with Mac OS Sierra on it. Installation went smooth and look like it works fine. I'm using a mic of my Meizu headset right now and it doesn't seem very reliable. I know my watch is within 20 seconds and TG shows from -80 to +50. I guess I need a better microphone right?
    Could you share a recording or a (full resolution) screenshot? Like this it's hard to say anything...

Just use the ear bud mic and cut off the ear buds. That works really well as they are built to pick up the slightest amplitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Here's the screenshot. S/D was anywhere from -50 to +80.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	???????? 2016-09-23 16.32.46.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	9439698

Another watch, it seems to tick louder.

Name:	???????? 2016-09-23 16.35.35.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	9439706

And this one is quiet

Name:	???????? 2016-09-23 16.38.11.png 
Views:	337 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	9439714

I think the mic in my earphone is "too good" as it picks up what it shouldn't, so TG software struggles to separate the watch beat from ambient sounds. Also I couldn't calibrate TG using a quartz watch, it just doesn't hear it at all. Otherwise it works - guesses the bph

I guess I'll have to find a more quiet place and try again.

Anyways, I've ordered a cheap contact microphone and wonder if it would help?

Name:  ???????? 2016-09-23 16.21.00.png
Views: 321
Size:  179.0 KB
    Hidden Content (lost) / Certina DS-1 Auto Chrono / Hidden Content /... / ???

How can I get a copy of this

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

How do I get a copy of this sw

Audio mic is better. I tried using a Chinese purchased contact mic on other sw

Quote Originally Posted by scoff View Post
    Thank you!

Here's the screenshot. S/D was anywhere from -50 to +80.
    I think the mic in my earphone is "too good" as it picks up what it shouldn't, so TG software struggles to separate the watch beat from ambient sounds. Also I couldn't calibrate TG using a quartz watch, it just doesn't hear it at all. Otherwise it works - guesses the bph

I guess I'll have to find a more quiet place and try again.

Anyways, I've ordered a cheap contact microphone and wonder if it would help?
    I don't have any answers for the variation only to let you know that my watches usually take a while, sometimes 30 seconds or more, to "settle down" from the disruption of changing their orientation to get them and the mic together.
    jdrichard likes this.

@jdrichard: Hi, the program we are talking about is here https://github.com/vacaboja/tg. For instructions on how to operate it, for now, you have to read this thread...

@scoff: Thanks for experimenting with my program. As far as I can tell, tg is operating properly in your screenshots. In the first, the watch is probably not keeping a constant rate, so my guess is that the 20s/d that you have measured is actually the long term average of its periodic swings. Being a 18000bph movement, I guess that it might be old... If you know that this is not the case, for instance because you checked the watch on another timegrapher, then I'm definitely interested in a recording of 60s of that watch! In the other two screenshots, tg can not pick up the amplitude (either sound too weak or noise too strong), but the rate should be correct. I see that the calibration is set to 0.0. If uncalibrated, the software still works in every respect, except that the rate will be affected by a constant error. This is because the internal clock of your sound card might be off by a few s/d. All software-based timegraphers have this problem, and there is no escape except calibration against a more stable time source. The calibration procedure is described in this post Open source timing software. - Page 17

@contrate_wheel yes that 18000bph watch is old. I don't have access to any other timegraphers, the only "real" one I've seen was as old as the watch in question (and as it's owner watchmaker probably). It just prints graphs on paper.

I couldn't calibrate the software because I don't have a loud enough quartz watch.

This is the same old watch in a more quiet environment.

flat, face up

Name:	???????? 2016-09-26 16.12.44.png 
Views:	320 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	9469418

face down

Name:	???????? 2016-09-26 15.47.32.png 
Views:	313 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	9469298

It's running pretty stable both ways, ±5 seconds.

I still don't know how to interpret these graphs and some of the numbers (like lift angle and its relation to that 219deg). I guess I'll have to read through this thread to get an idea.
    BTW a brief readme on the UI/params would be great.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by scoff; September 26th, 2016 at 11:06.
    Hidden Content (lost) / Certina DS-1 Auto Chrono / Hidden Content /... / ???

Thank you all for your contributions: I have a fix for the beat error bug. The latest version (0.3.2) should give beat error readings in accordance to most timegraphers, at least when the audio has good quality. If you find that the bug is still there, please report it!

The link to get to the program is, of course, the usual one https://github.com/vacaboja/tg
    Direct link to the Windows binaries https://ciovil.li/tg.zip

@scoff: you are right that a manual is needed. It's under way. Even if you don't have conclusive evidence, but you believe that tg is misbehaving, feel free to send me a audio sample: maybe it's just a bug, and I will see what I can do to fix it...

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast