Open source timing software. - Page 24
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Aku Ankka View Post
    The original Vibrograf plugs are proprietary, and they're both different. I actually had to make a suitable plug from scratch to fit my old B100.

For the TG, I just changed one of the cables to a standard shielded microphone cable and a ¼" mono plug connector, which then plugs into my Apogee Duet interface. The type of plug you need of course depends on what you want to plug your microphone into. Mine is an ideal scenario, since I have two separate mono 1/4" instrument inputs in my audio interface.

If your microphone has a standard 1/4" plug, all you really need is a 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter to fit most sound cards.
    Could you take some photos and share them?

Sure. I'll do that later today. I have some work to do now.

Sure. I'll do that later today. I have some work to do now.
    Okay cool, thanks vary much Aku Ankka.

OK, so here's my modified cable for the Vibrograf mic. The nice thing about these mics is that you can just unscrew the whole cable and swap it to another similar mic. Anyway, this is the end result:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  62.0 KB

This is what goes inside the mic. The springy part is just an electrical connector and the spring allows it to bend as you change the position of the clamp. The knurled part is the negative terminal, which is connected to the shielding braid of the cable. In my case, the cable is two pole, and the white lead is not connected to anything. The red lead is connected to the positive terminal, which is the springy bit.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  137.9 KB

This is the other end of the cable. The red lead (positive) is connected to the center pin and the shielding braid (negative) is connected to the other terminal, which is basically the whole larger metal portion of the plug.

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  131.1 KB

And finally, if your mic already happens to have a 1/4" plug, you could just use one of these headphone adapters if your sound card/interface only has 3.5mm input jacks. You don't need to worry about the adapter being stereo. You're simply using just one of the two channels and the other one is shorted to ground.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  80.3 KB
    nauz and jisham like this.

OK, so here's my modified cable for the Vibrograf mic. The nice thing about these mics is that you can just unscrew the whole cable and swap it to another similar mic. Anyway, this is the end result:

Name:  1.jpg
Size:  62.0 KB

This is what goes inside the mic. The springy part is just an electrical connector and the spring allows it to bend as you change the position of the clamp. The knurled part is the negative terminal, which is connected to the shielding braid of the cable. In my case, the cable is two pole, and the white lead is not connected to anything. The red lead is connected to the positive terminal, which is the springy bit.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  137.9 KB

This is the other end of the cable. The red lead (positive) is connected to the center pin and the shielding braid (negative) is connected to the other terminal, which is basically the whole larger metal portion of the plug.

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  131.1 KB

And finally, if your mic already happens to have a 1/4" plug, you could just use one of these headphone adapters if your sound card/interface only has 3.5mm input jacks. You don't need to worry about the adapter being stereo. You're simply using just one of the two channels and the other one is shorted to ground.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  80.3 KB
    Perfect, exactly what I had in mind. Vary much appreciated Aku Ankka, I dont think that this has been posted on this page yet so maybe people can get an idea. Awesome

Not a problem. It's a very simple mod and even if one doesn't have much experience with electronics, it's still very much doable on a very limited budget.

Now that I've been playing around with the software a bit, I thought I'd throw a few development suggestions out there:

-Average rate calculation over a period of time, say 1, 5 and 10 minutes for example. This is what the Witschi software does, and it is extremely handy. Ideally you should let the watch stabilize for something like 30 seconds to a minute and only then the software starts measuring. While the Witschi software does this automatically, TG could just have a button that you could click to start the selected measuring period. Once you have measured in 'all' six positions, you can easily read the results and draw your conclusions from them.

-Possibility to print out the results would be nice.

Now that I've been playing around with the software a bit, I thought I'd throw a few development suggestions out there:

-Average rate calculation over a period of time, say 1, 5 and 10 minutes for example. This is what the Witschi software does, and it is extremely handy. Ideally you should let the watch stabilize for something like 30 seconds to a minute and only then the software starts measuring. While the Witschi software does this automatically, TG could just have a button that you could click to start the selected measuring period. Once you have measured in 'all' six positions, you can easily read the results and draw your conclusions from them.

-Possibility to print out the results would be nice.
    Was gonna say printing would be cool.

Hi my friends!

Unfortunately I had very little time to play with tg lately... I would just say thanks to all of you for your feedback.

@linux.author: I'm happy to learn that tg works on ARM!

@Aku Ankka, nauz: Long term averaging and printing are definitely on the to-do list!
    nauz, Coug76 and linux.author like this.

Just to answer my own question and to bring up this thread - this setup works just fine. It doesn't need a preamp and that piezo mic seems to be less prone to ambient noise than a regular iPhone headset.

Name:  tg-pickup-mic.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  71.3 KB

1. Piezo Clip On Microphone Pickup for Acoustic Guitar (~$4)
    2. Mono 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter (~$1)
    3. 3.5mm Male TRRS to 2 Female TRS Audio Connector TRRS Y Splitter Cable Adapter (~$2)
    4. Vintage MacBook Pro (already owned).

The vital part is that TRRS adapter as you can't just plug your mono mic (TS) into the headphones jack, it won't work.

Also there's a neat little software called LineIn (free) that allows you to hear what TG hears, just plug your headphones into the second TRRS adapter jack.
    Last edited by scoff; January 13th, 2017 at 03:56.
    jisham likes this.
    Hidden Content (lost) / Certina DS-1 Auto Chrono / Hidden Content /... / ???

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information