Open source timing software. - Page 25
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Should be a sticky

Quote Originally Posted by scoff View Post
    Just to answer my own question and to bring up this thread - this setup works just fine. It doesn't need a preamp and that piezo mic seems to be less prone to ambient noise than a regular iPhone headset.

Attachment 10501418

1. Piezo Clip On Microphone Pickup for Acoustic Guitar (~$4)
    2. Mono 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter (~$1)
    3. 3.5mm Male TRRS to 2 Female TRS Audio Connector TRRS Y Splitter Cable Adapter (~$2)
    4. Vintage MacBook Pro (already owned).

The vital part is that TRRS adapter as you can't just plug your mono mic (TS) into the headphones jack, it won't work.

Also there's a neat little software called LineIn (free) that allows you to hear what TG hears, just plug your headphones into the second TRRS adapter jack.
    Thanks for the detail scoff.
    The software is great but the pickup is a problem for me and this illustration is what I needed to identify a working part.

I also changed parts 2 and 3 to one of these because I wanted to go to USB.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  79.3 KB
    Last edited by 1afc; January 13th, 2017 at 05:21.

Many thanks to the developers and contributors for great TG software

Name:  image_NEW.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  381.1 KB
    Last edited by EATT_VN; January 16th, 2017 at 02:52.
    jisham likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EATT_VN View Post
    Many thank to the developers and contributors for great TG software
    How did you attach the piezo pickup to the ball head on that mini tripod? Is it just tape/gum/blue-tack, or something else?

Looks like a nice simple setup for measuring the watch in multiple positions.

Quote Originally Posted by jisham View Post
    How did you attach the piezo pickup to the ball head on that mini tripod? Is it just tape/gum/blue-tack, or something else?

Looks like a nice simple setup for measuring the watch in multiple positions.
    Hi @jisham
    I used an adhesive tape pictured below (sorry I don't know the word for that). Yes I do use this setup for measuring the watch in multiple positions.

Name:  image_a.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  207.4 KB
    jisham likes this.

First of all I want to congratulate you on this brilliant software, it is so simple, and easy to use.

I would like to know what kind of calibration is this in the upper right corner?
    Also, you said something about samplerate, would it be better to use 192khz instead of 44.1khz?

Quote Originally Posted by quadrifoglio View Post
    First of all I want to congratulate you on this brilliant software, it is so simple, and easy to use.

I would like to know what kind of calibration is this in the upper right corner?
    Also, you said something about samplerate, would it be better to use 192khz instead of 44.1khz?
    I think post #169 should be able to help you here. (June 3 2016)

Thanks for this awesome software, seems to work nicely with my Samson Go Mic microphone (the sec/day matches with the average time deviation I measured during 24 hours for one of my watch). I got some question though :

- What are the top indicators in plain language for the layman ? The s/d indicator is simple but what about the others ?
    - What is lift angle, how important is it to set it properly and how its value can be obtained ? (my only interested is measuring accuracy in seconds per day)

Thanks in advance :)

A good source to start exploring how to interpret timegrapher data is the Witschi training course, Measuring Technology and Troubleshooting for Watches, the PDF is freely available on the internet.

A lift angle is a fixed value, determined by the design of the movement. All these, the lift angle, the amplitude and the beat error, are explained in the PDF above.

Anyway, a lift angle setting of 52 degrees is a somewhat safe assumption for modern movements, although far from all have a lift angle of 52 degrees. If a movement, for example, has a lift angle of 54.5 degrees, wrongly presetting it to 52 degrees would affect the amplitude reading on a timegrapher.

For the above example (52 instead of the 54.5 degrees), if a timegrapher shows an amplitude of:
    - 300 degrees, the real amplitude is 314.6 degrees
    - 200 degrees, the real amplitude is 209.6 degrees.

So, an error of roughly 4 to 6 degrees of amplitude for each degree of the lift angle delta.

If you're just interested in the daily rate, the lift angle isn't important. But the amplitude value is one of the most tell-telling indicators of the watch movement's health. The amplitude when fully wound, the difference in amplitude between positions and the difference in amplitude 24h later tell you a lot about the condition your watch is in.

I have packaged TG for Arch Linux. As of today, it is available in AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tg/

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll do the same for Fedora and perhaps CentOS (EPEL) in the future.
    jdrichard and contrate_wheel like this.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread Information