Open source timing software. - Page 27
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by jisham View Post
    I see you mentioned alsa, so I assume you're running some version of Linux. I've gotten a bit lost with the march of progress in linux sound systems over the years, but my recent installations seem to be running pulseaudio by default. Any chance you're running pulse? It seems to like to clone interfaces on the fly when a new program is started, so identifying the sound device can be tricky. The best trick I've found so far is to launch pavucontrol. When you launch tg, you should see a new recording device created. If everything is set up right with the audio levels, you should be able to see the ticks as bounces in the volume bar on that device.
    nope, OpenSuse Tumbleweed doesn't install any of the pulse audio cruft. pure alsa. although it may be easier to use the pulseaudio gui's to configure which device is doing what.

Also, sometimes the mic positioning can be a bit ticky. Try moving it around the watch. I think some people have even reported success with the mic right on the crown.
    oh yes. although w/ a clip-on mic the positions are a bit limited, i've tried both the case back and front and 360* around. sometimes i can get TG on linux to start picking up a signal. not as much success w/ TG on Windows. no clue why.

haven't had much time to continue to play w/ this. i was able to regulate the NH35 using the integrated mic from an average of -14.8s/d to +2.2s/d. this movement is VERY position sensitive, so i chose to aim for -2s/d in the 6up and 3up and let the dial up +13s/d help overnight to keep a good "worn" average.
    jisham likes this.

I would like to thank the developer for the lovely software. I tried it with small 27mm piezo sensor (Clip on guitar sensors will be ok as well) and Kemo M040N preamp with 9v battery and I only could say WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by jht3 View Post
    nope, OpenSuse Tumbleweed doesn't install any of the pulse audio cruft. pure alsa. although it may be easier to use the pulseaudio gui's to configure which device is doing what.
    I agree, alsa is much cleaner, even if it doesn't have the pretty configuration gui's.

I had to look up how to change the default sound card in alsa:

linux - How to make Alsa pick a preferred sound device automatically? - Super User

short version:

find the card name,

Code:
    and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

pcm.!default {     
       type hw     
       card 1 
    <closebrace>

ctl.!default { 
        type hw 
        card 1 
    <closebrace>
    [I can't figure out how to keep this site from mapping my closing braces to something else, replace <closebrace> with the single character closing brace]
    Last edited by jisham; February 17th, 2017 at 15:09. Reason: fixed quote formatting

First my compliments on the TG software, it ran straight off the files on a Win7 Thinkpad. I've been having fun for a few days now, with no pick up problems using the onboard mic. I learnt a very long time ago that the less you put in the audio path the better.
    For what my tuppence is worth...

Gridiron

Quote Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
    First my compliments on the TG software, it ran straight off the files on a Win7 Thinkpad. I've been having fun for a few days now, with no pick up problems using the onboard mic. I learnt a very long time ago that the less you put in the audio path the better.
    For what my tuppence is worth...

Gridiron
    actually, it does run decently with the onboard mic. bu t with two small children running around, it can be a challenge to eliminate background noise! i'm also looking for a better solution than holding my watch against the screen with a rubber band so i can check it in multiple positions.

at this point, i'm satisified with this 80% solution. i'll still probably cobble together some parts to build up a pre-amp, but not anytime soon, for the 100% solution.

I agree, alsa is much cleaner, even if it doesn't have the pretty configuration gui's.

I had to look up how to change the default sound card in alsa:

linux - How to make Alsa pick a preferred sound device automatically? - Super User

short version:

find the card name,

Code:
    and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

pcm.!default {     
       type hw     
       card 1 
    <closebrace>

ctl.!default { 
        type hw 
        card 1 
    <closebrace>
    [I can't figure out how to keep this site from mapping my closing braces to something else, replace <closebrace> with the single character closing brace]
    i did use this config to set the default to my usb device. thanks for posting this for others that might be in the same boat.
    jisham likes this.

@jht3, to get rid of the holding problem and eliminate most of the background noise I started with a tiny dod of blutack over one micro and a thin donut on the back, (or the crystal), of the watch to stick it over the the other microphone. Then all I need to do then is rotate my laptop for the positions and take up yoga to see the screen. Traffic and neighbour noises are no longer disturbing. Try it!
    Grid.

Is there anything I need to do to get tg to give me a consistent reading? It keeps changing from between -5 to -30 and it's making regulating a pain. I'm using one of those clip on guitar mics and a usb sound card.

Is there a way to get it to display the AVERAGE reading over 30 seconds instead of constantly fluctuating?

NeoSoul2084, Have a look at the graph on the left side of the display. Is it 'porpoising' (rhythmic changes, repeatedly) ? Do you have a steady 4 green bars for signal strength without interruptions? The bottom graphic should only show beat noises and no noise or spiky bits in between. Can you do a screenshot?

I'm asking because apart from background noise, mains hum, magnetic fields from cables etc will all affect what is being fed into the software.

Grid

Hey friends, I uploaded a video to youtube about the software, please take a look.
    https://youtu.be/ry9O3WyY2as
    1afc and prasitw like this.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread Information