Open source timing software. - Page 3
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Ok, so I can't post links... I will give the title of the relevant articles to search on google.

Thank you very much for this wonderful programm, contrate_wheel, this is how I got it working on OSX:

• Install xcode command line tools (this is the compiler, you can find the instructions ont this article : How to Install Command Line Tools in OS X Mavericks & Yosemite (Without Xcode) (OSX daily)
    • Install Homebrew (this is the modern equivalent of fink) : brew(dot)sh
    • Type in your terminal : brew install gtk+ portaudio fftw
    • Time to compile tg, and here things get a little complicated :
      • You can download the version I compiled using the following link (dropbox(dot)com/s/bqefi53fyxhl6bz/tg-master.zip?dl=0). You can use it by clicking on the tg executable. Your mac will probably complain that the executable come from an unknown source (the solution is here : OS X Mavericks: Open an app from an unidentified developer (apple)).
      • Alternatively, you can download the latest source version and compile it. But this will result in an error and contrat_wheel help is needed : the OSX compiler treat any flag he doesn't know as error and abord the make process. Turn out he doesn't know the flag "-fcx-limited-range" and I was only able to compile the programm after removing this flag for the makefile. I don't know what this flag mean, but the programm seems to run fine without it. Can you remove it, or deactivate it somehow when compiling on OSX ?

For a primer on how to use the Terminal :
    Introduction to the Mac OS X Command Line (teamthreehouse)

looking good. just need to have the microphone/amplifer opensourced and we are all gonna be happy.

If your looking for ideas, heres some suggestions

1. export/import to file so you can share it with someone
    2. export to report file (pdf/jpg) so you can store it with the watch in your records
    3. as someone has said, needs instructions or a what is this saying section for noobs like myself

Thanks so much for your time on this already
    Disruptive Elgin Collector
    Hidden Content

@Baillive

Thanks a lot! The flag -fcx-limited-range enables an optimazation on complex division: it has completely no impact, not even on performance. So I removed it. Actually I don't even remember why it was there, probably left over from some previous version of the algorithm. It's great that you managed to compile on OS X! As soon as I'm satisfied with this testing phase, if you agree, I will ask your help to make a mac binary to distribute. Maybe you could not post links because that was your first post? Some sort of anti-spam countermeasure? It seems strange because I am sure that I posted links on my first post.

@Diveboy

Thanks. There are many schematics for microphones and ampifiers on the internet, and also on this very forum, I believe. However, my program has been designed to work with bad microphones, at least a little, and, in fact, it is the first program out there made specifically for this goal, as far as I know. The idea of using a clip-on guitar pickup suggested by Klaus in this thread sounds very very good to me. Unfortunately I didn't have time to experiment with that, but I most probably will. There is even the possibility that it might work without the amplifier: Klaus, did you try?

Now I am debugging (thanks to Ocram for a lot of support and some pretty good testing) and working to add an amplitude display. The import and export to file is definitely a good idea, actually I had this capability in place in a much older version of the program, but I removed it because it became messy to maintain. To analyze a sound file, if you want a workaround, you can just redirect digitally the sound output of your system to a virtual input device, set this as default input, and play the sound file with just any player. This is how I test the program on known samples. On linux/pulseaudio, this can be done in just a couple of clicks using pavucontrol. There must be a way to do it on Windows as well, but I don't know it.

A couple of pages of manual will definitely come as soon as we are at version 1.0. At least if there is enough interest.

This looks great! Looking forward to future development.

I'm also on OS X, and can confirm it working on OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

The instructions posted above by Baillive does work, but note that you have to first install the required libraries via Brew before you can run the pre-compiled app. If we want a full stand-alone OS X app, it needs packaging together with GTK+ etc.

Some feedback on the amplitude discussion: I think it should be displayed like most other Timegraphers do. Check the Witschi technical paper. Their description of the amplitude makes it seem that they only measure the tic OR the toc pulses. I.e. the 1st and 3rd pulse OR 2nd and 4th. It's not entirely clear if the value they display is the average, but it does look like that. They also display the standard deviation, which is a nice extra.

BTW: If the amplitude measurements are different between tics/tocs that would mean the watch is out of beat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by diveboy View Post
    looking good. just need to have the microphone/amplifer opensourced and we are all gonna be happy.
    A contact mic is not too hard to make, just scavenged one together out of junk yesterday with a piezo disc and an old pair of headphones, but the preamp is a bit trickier. I've ordered some components last night to try and make one, and if I get it working I'll see if I can put together some pictures and instructions etc. to post here for everyone else.

Just curious ... has anyone tried compiling on any Linux distro?

Quote Originally Posted by ocram View Post
    See this
    Attachment 5912778

Now this
    Attachment 5912786

and this
    Attachment 5912802

Wow. Just, wow.
    Never had such accurate read using the microphone integrated in my cheap logitech webcam.
    Your idea to use instantaneous frequency is a game changer. Fantastic job
    // ocram
    P.S. Windows binaries OK on all versions except WinXP and below.
    05:00 - when I wake up, I have something to look forward to trying!
    Wife: Don't you have enough watches?
    Me: Don't you have enough earrings?
    Wife: So, you're saying that watches are jewelry for Men?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm saying.
    Wife: Let's go shopping.

And that's how I got my last watch...

Several people have mentioned microphones and amplifiers; There's another DIY Timegrapher software that has instructions for constructing both a mic and amp. Website here.

(The drawback with that software is that it's Windows only, so I have never tried it out myself.)

@consum3r
    - Linux: yes, I developed on Debian Jessie. Should compile under any common distro. You need gtk+2, portaudio, and fftw3 (on Debian or Ubuntu you need to install the -dev version of these libraries, don't know other distros).

@Halda
    - Yes, a statically linked OS X binary would be better. To make one, it might be enough to modity the Makefile adding -static to the LDFLAGS and also --static to the pkg-config command in there.
    - Out of beat means that the beat error is (significantly) different from zero. An asymmetry in the tic's and the toc's waveforms is something different. How to interpret it, in a horological sense, was already asked by Klaus and by me. I am no watchmaker, so I don't know, and unfortunately no one answered.
    - Watch-O-Scope is a very nice commercial program, it comes for free in restricted form for non commercial use, and its author is also a member of this forum. It's much superior to biburo, in my personal opinion, which is also for free proprietary software. Another very complete program is Watch Escapement Analyzer, unfortunately the interactive version comes at a fee. All of these programs take a similar approach (as far as I can tell) and the algorithm of tg is radically different. I had fun comparing them together and with tg.

I hope to find the time to put out a tentative amplitude display this weekend.
    Last edited by contrate_wheel; November 26th, 2015 at 05:35.

had a play tonight for a little. This is using a piezo as a microphone

Elgin Grade 760

and this is a Elgin Grade 69 first run from 1867

it had trouble with a high beat movement, kept jumping between 18,000 and 36,000.
    Disruptive Elgin Collector
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information