Open source timing software. - Page 32
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by 1afc View Post
    Sounds like quite a challenge so will be interesting to see your solution.

Regarding piezo pickups etc, this thread has a bit of discussion that you might find of use.

What microphone to use with tg Open Source Timing Software?

I think the summary was if one is using a piezo then a pre amp looks necessary.

Always interested to find better ways to use this great software.

Thank you, totally agree with this statement
    Always interested to find better ways to use this great software
    Will look in more details when get back home.. Now I have to prepare for long journey called "driving from vacation"...
    In general, piezo is good for eliminating environmental noise. It is also too weak (I suppose) to produce acceptable signal, so pre-amp is almost mandatory.
    However, it would be good to know what frequency range is needed for TG, so pre-amp can make cut-off of unwanted noise or other type of disturbances.

@contrate_wheel : could you please advise regarding optimal frequency range for TG?

Quote Originally Posted by djolemag View Post
    Hi,
    idea is to have sort of standardized approach to sound pickup, that is why I ask about piezo mic and preamp.
    I've been experimenting with piezo pickup and op amp preamp circuit based on watch o scope schematic with good success. I have a lot of (not healthy) mechanical watches also. :)

Let me know if you want to converse further about the preamp and piezo or if I can help.

I was planning on designing a board with SMT parts designed for a common enclosure. Need to build the case holder / pickup next though.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    1afc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I've been experimenting with piezo pickup and op amp preamp circuit based on watch o scope schematic with good success. I have a lot of (not healthy) mechanical watches also. :)

Let me know if you want to converse further about the preamp and piezo or if I can help.

I was planning on designing a board with SMT parts designed for a common enclosure. Need to build the case holder / pickup next though.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Hi, yes, I would like to converse further about preamp and piezo.
    I think contrate_wheel would have something interesting to tell us about frequency range needed for TG.
    We all know that piezo has high impedance, so preamp should be adjusted according to that.
    In next days I will try to get some guitar pickup with EQ and give it a try with TG.
    Currently, I've just came from vacation, so lot of things are in queue for solving... Hope I will have enough time during the week.
    Will inform you on progress.
    Cheers!
    azkid and alvh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    Just a little message to announce the new version of tg, namely Tg 0.5.0.

New features include:
    - Ability to take and save snapshots
    - The distinction between light and regular version has been eliminated (it is now a setting)
    - Minor improvements to the user interface

Snapshots are just what you think they are. The new version of tg can load and save files, which are basically archives of snapshots.

Windows, debian, and source code distributions are as usual available at:
    https://tg.ciovil.li
    https://github.com/vacaboja/tg

I have been in contact with dmnc, who has already tested the new version on Mac OS X. He will surely produce a homebrew install script for it shortly. (Thanks a lot dmnc for your continued support of Tg on OS X.)

On the technical side (for those interested):
    - Version 3 of GTK+ has replaced version 2 as the widget library for Tg
    - Thanks to an excellent contribution of Stefan Talpalaru, the build system is now based on GNU autotools.

Comments, suggestions, bug reports are as always very welcome!

PS: alvh, Klaus, landk, 1afc: completely agree, thanks for answering djolemag's question!
    alas, this new release breaks support under Raspbian PIXEL under the Raspberry Pi armhf... the sticking point in the ./configure is libportaudio2...

configure: error: Package requirements (portaudio-2.0) were not met:

No package 'portaudio-2.0' found

even though installed:

$ dpkg --list | grep portaudio2
    ii libportaudio2:armhf 19+svn20140130-1 armhf Portable audio I/O - shared library

it appears that the develop libs, libportaudio-dev, are incompatible and there is no supported portaudio package for the build:

$ dpkg --list | grep portaudio-dev
    ii libportaudio-dev 18.1-7.1 armhf Portable audio I/O - development files

(there is no portaudio2-dev package available in the armhf Raspbia repositories)

so... i'll stick with the old version for now and hope for a resolution?

still love Tg! works great! (am now doing a build for my OS X Sierra Macbook Air)

update #1: so i downloaded the latest portaudio release, built and installed, then received:

configure: error: Package requirements (fftw3f) were not met:

No package 'fftw3f' found

(and there is no corresponding pkg 'fftw3f' in the Raspbian repository)

update #2: the brew install under Mac OS X 10.12.5 works! kudos to the wonderful coder across the Pond!

update #3: well, the attempt at a build of the new Tg 0.5.0 for Raspbian PIXEL has failed... after downloading, building and installing fftw3, the ./configure script still reports (even after doing a 'sudo ldconfig'):

configure: error: Package requirements (fftw3f) were not met:

No package 'fftw3f' found

so i'm stuck at this point with 0.4.0 under the armhf Debian release... (well, not really 'stuck,' as i'll keep hacking at this...)

update #4: installing the libfftw3-dev package finally gets through the configure process:

# sudo apt install libfftw3-dev

then the ./configure process results in:

Tg 0.5.0
    =====

prefix: /usr/local

compiler: gcc
    cflags: -g -O2 -Wall -Wextra
    ldflags: -Wl,--as-needed

a quick 'make,' insertion of a cheap CMEDIA US$5 USB sound dongle, and:

so it looks like you must build and install portaudio2 to run Tg 0.5.0 under the latest armhf Debian - thanks to all!

update #5 - the new tg-timer builds fine (after gtk3, glib2, fftw3 package installs) under pre-PIXEL Raspbian - at least on my little RPi3 w/a TFT LCD that also uses Pulseaudio... it was necessary to have an available sound input device available and to start the Pulseaudio server before launch:

$ start-pulseaudio-x11 ; tg-timer &

willie
    on the stinking hot Gulf of Mexico
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by linux.author; July 17th, 2017 at 19:28.
    contrate_wheel likes this.

Hi - thanks contrate_wheel for the great software ! And everyone else who has contributed through feedback....!

I withdrew some watches I had listed on ebay because they were quite a long way off spec (according to the software) . Using the software, I believe I achieved a lot better timing results, so I can relist them now :) Had to adjust the beat lever.

"I am a true believer......!"

Thanks again Stephen
    My Beginners Guide to Watch Repair: One Screw-up at a time - available mid crisis or 2100 Hidden Content

Is it possible (or practicable) to add support for beat rates higher than 72000? I have a couple 360000 and a 108000bph stopwatches that I'd like to graph. I have them adjusted pretty well as it is, but it would still be nice to be able to run them by the timegrapher. No worries, though, if it's a pain in the rear to add such support.

Stumbled across this thread and I am very happy to have found it. Can't wait to try the software with my humble Sennheiser PC 360 mic when I get off work.

Hi all,

sorry for not being very active.

I'm happy that linux.author managed to build Tg 0.5.0 successfully. The fftw3f is, in fact, a bit confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by monax View Post
    Is it possible (or practicable) to add support for beat rates higher than 72000? I have a couple 360000 and a 108000bph stopwatches that I'd like to graph. I have them adjusted pretty well as it is, but it would still be nice to be able to run them by the timegrapher. No worries, though, if it's a pain in the rear to add such support.
    We may try. Can you send me some recordings of your stopwatches? (I will be on vacations until September, but then I will have time to look into it...)

Hello everyone. I'm already enjoying version 5 of Tg. Excellent improvements. Congratulations contrate_wheel, Thanks for new features of the program.
    I have a question: Can I save the screenshots in image format?

Guido

About calibration: Would it be possible to use the internet SNTP Client?

Guido

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread Information