Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

@Apollonaught

Thanks for your review.

The figures on page 3 of this manual
    http://www.witschi.com/assets/files/...%20watches.pdf
    show how the noises produced by an escapement are supposed to look if recorded with a perfect mic. The amplitude is determined by the timing between the first and the third of the three events. The first watch of your screenshots is perfectly fine, however, as one can see from the graphs, the first pulse is too weak to stand out above the noise, so tg is unable to compute the amplitude. This happens only because you are using the internal mic of your computer, and, you might try, but I believe that no other publicly available program would perform better than tg in this situation. I would venture to say that here one can not extract the amplitude from the audio data, because this information has been completely destroyed by noise.

So, strictly speaking, it is not volume, rather it is signal-to-noise ratio. In your other watch, the first pulse is just about visible above the noise level, so tg can, and in fact does, pick it up.
    Apollonaught likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    @Apollonaught

Thanks for your review.

The figures on page 3 of this manual
    http://www.witschi.com/assets/files/...%20watches.pdf
    show how the noises produced by an escapement are supposed to look if recorded with a perfect mic. The amplitude is determined by the timing between the first and the third of the three events. The first watch of your screenshots is perfectly fine, however, as one can see from the graphs, the first pulse is too weak to stand out above the noise, so tg is unable to compute the amplitude. This happens only because you are using the internal mic of your computer, and, you might try, but I believe that no other publicly available program would perform better than tg in this situation. I would venture to say that here one can not extract the amplitude from the audio data, because this information has been completely destroyed by noise.

So, strictly speaking, it is not volume, rather it is signal-to-noise ratio. In your other watch, the first pulse is just about visible above the noise level, so tg can, and in fact does, pick it up.
    Excellent,thank you.
    That link explains everything.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

I might be a little slow, but I'm definitely not computer illiterate...but I can't get the application to run at all. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and when I extract the files from the .ZIP, install the font, and attempt to run the program, nothing happens. I don't see any errors in the Windows error logs. I get a second or two of Windows "spinning wheel" but the program never launches. Could I be doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by adamant365 View Post
    I might be a little slow, but I'm definitely not computer illiterate...but I can't get the application to run at all. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and when I extract the files from the .ZIP, install the font, and attempt to run the program, nothing happens. I don't see any errors in the Windows error logs. I get a second or two of Windows "spinning wheel" but the program never launches. Could I be doing something wrong?
    Do not install the font: leave it where it is. Extract the zip archive to a folder. Do not move anything. Double click.

Weird, I don't get it. I have it up and running on a very old Toshiba "test" laptop running Windows 10 and my work laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and it's working just fine. My powerhouse desktop PC won't even launch it. Go figure.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, it is a brilliant program. A million kudos to you contrate_wheel. My Omega Speedy Pro shows beautifully. When I switch to my Omega AT8500, I get everything but balance amplitude, but I expected this due to the co-axial escapement.

Does anyone know why the CoAx amplitude can’t be derived with the standard timing algorithms?

Last edited by adamant365; December 3rd, 2015 at 19:19.

Weird, I don't get it. I have it up and running on a very old Toshiba "test" laptop running Windows 10 and my work laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and it's working just fine. My powerhouse desktop PC won't even launch it. Go figure.
    Thanks. So there is a bug! It might be this font thing: I will get rid of that, as it is producing nothing but annoyance. I made a Windows build with the latest version, which has a little of error reporting. May I ask you to try again with the new version (just re-downoad, version number should be 0.2.2) on that desktop computer and tell me the error message?

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    Thanks. So there is a bug! It might be this font thing: I will get rid of that, as it is producing nothing but annoyance. I made a Windows build with the latest version, which has a little of error reporting. May I ask you to try again with the new version (just re-downoad, version number should be 0.2.2) on that desktop computer and tell me the error message?
    I’m pretty sure the issue was that I didn’t have a mic plugged in. Duh…your error reporting spotted this fact immediately and forced me to exit. I plugged in a mic and tried again and off she went. Brilliant! I don’t think it was the font thing after all.

Oh, and here's an obligatory screen shot. You think this 1860's pocket watch needs a service??
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  137.2 KB

EDIT: I had the lift angle set at 38 previously to time my Co-Axial Omega. I think this old pocket watch is 50 degrees. Either way, 140 amplitude isn't very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by adamant365; December 3rd, 2015 at 20:41.

Oh, and here's an obligatory screen shot. You think this 1860's pocket watch needs a service??
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  137.2 KB
    Your audio looks very clean!

May it be that the nominal beat rate is not 18000 bph? If you know the correct bph, you can just write it in the bph field, even if it is not among those in the drop-down menu. Tg should be able to work with anything in the range 12000-72000.

I would love if you could send me a 30sec sample of your co-axial to play with...

I am late to this thread, mic wise are people using amplifiers or straight in?

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information