Open source timing software. - Page 7
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Open source timing software.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: Open source timing software.

Quote Originally Posted by contrate_wheel View Post
    Your audio looks very clean!

May it be that the nominal beat rate is not 18000 bph? If you know the correct bph, you can just write it in the bph field, even if it is not among those in the drop-down menu. Tg should be able to work with anything in the range 12000-72000.

I would love if you could send me a 30sec sample of your co-axial to play with...
    Believe it or not, I'm using my never-used iPhone headset mic and just holding it tight against the case. And I'm certain the bph of that pocket watch is 18000. It loses like 5 minutes an hour. It's been non running and I only wound it to get a reading since it's by far my loudest watch. Here is about 45 seconds of my Omega with the calibre 8500 co-axial.
    Name:  AT8500.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  182.3 KB
    Last edited by adamant365; December 3rd, 2015 at 21:46.

I just got to thinking...you probably meant an actual sound recording. I've PM'd you.

By the way, back to my "clean sound." There's actually quite a bit of background noise in my recording. So I have to conclude your program is exceptional at eliminating noise.

I too am having a font issue with OS X. 10.11.0 here.

Is there anything I can do to give you a hand in trying to sort it? I'm used to programming but not a C person I'm afraid.

I'll also have a look at popping together a homebrew formula so people can install a little more easily.

@dom_

Thanks for asking the mic question: I am interested too. I still have to experiment with the electronics. My gut feeling is that, if the signal is not exceedingly weak, no amp is better than a noisy amp. But that's just gut feeling.

@dmnc

Thank you, your offer is very much welcome! I am really keen on getting this thing to work cross-platform. I will probably just go back to the default font and align the figures manually: it's not pretty, but it works. The homebrew formula is an excellent idea. I will write to you as soon as I find the time to do that modification, so we can proceed...

I'm just a casual watch tinkerer, not a professional. I loaded the program and it worked fine on Win10. I didn't have a microphone plugged in at first so the program didn't launch. No error messages, just nothing on screen. Plug in your mic first. Plugged in an earbud headset and launched again. Everything works as advertised. I think the headset was a Motorola brand. I'm not getting the three distinct waves on the bottom screen but it was very noisy in my room. A lot of fan noise from computer and heating system. My computer allows me to adjust the mic input level. I need to play with that some more to get a good input level.

So far, much better and useful than any program I've tried on my tablet. Keep up the good work. I tried this on 2 Seikos with the 4R36 movement. I now that these two watches are quieter than others. The tablet programs can't hear them and they works fine on a 7S26 watch.

Hopefully I can provide some useful feedback from a novice user with few computer skills but full of enthusiasm. I think your stated goal was a useful program for people in my category. You are well on track. IOS version would be nice too. I go both ways on computers.

I cobbled together something to make this a little easier to install for Mac users with homebrew.

If you just run

Code:
    brew install dmnc/horology/tg --HEAD
    You should get all the necessary dependencies and be good to go by just running "tg".
    contrate_wheel and Baillive like this.
    Seiko 6139-7101 | Seiko SARB017 Aplinist | Rodina Small Seconds | Tisell Flieger | Bulova A11 | Vostok Amphibian | A handful of Raketa's | A heap of Timexes, old and new

Update:

The latest version (0.2.3) should complie on OS X. Untested yet.
    Edit: tested. And we have a nice install script. Thanks dmnc!

@bklake

Thanks for your commentary. I suspect that you didn't get any error message because you were not using the very latest version (this program has been updated quite frequently).

Yes, my goal is to make a program that can be used by a novice (a category I belong to) without offering a disappointing first experience, or being an unreliable, dumbed down black box.

Unfortunately I won't make a IOS (iPhone, iPad) version, because to develop for that platform one needs an Apple machine, and an Apple developer account (100$/year), and apps need to be approved by Apple before they can be distributed. In short, it does not make sense to develop for IOS unless you plan to make money out of it. In a distant future, I might attempt to experiment with Android. I guess that I should have used Qt from the get go anyway...
    Last edited by contrate_wheel; December 7th, 2015 at 00:38.

The idea of using a clip-on guitar pickup suggested by Klaus in this thread sounds very very good to me. Unfortunately I didn't have time to experiment with that, but I most probably will. There is even the possibility that it might work without the amplifier: Klaus, did you try?
    Well, I did try but failed getting a poor signal. The reason might be that the piezo is sensitive predominantly for solid-borne sound which is very low.

If anybody else is going to try the pickup the following might be usefull. I removed the foam rubber for better contact and covered the hole with an adhesive tape to reduce sound-pressure of ambient noise. No big effect for the tape, just as a matter of conscience.

Dynamic microphones didn't satisfy my needs completely but the sound processing of timegrapher is such good that the built-in microphone of a laptop will be enough for a rough shot.

Quote Originally Posted by adamant365 View Post
    ...but I can't get the application to run at all. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and when I extract the files from the .ZIP, install the font, and attempt to run the program, nothing happens. I don't see any errors in the Windows error logs. I get a second or two of Windows "spinning wheel" but the program never launches. Could I be doing something wrong?
    I'm experiencing as well the issue with version 0.2.0 and 0.2.2 not starting anymore and "the spinning wheel" causing the explorer to stick. Maybe caused by some windows 10 or antivirus updates? The old version 1.0.0 (nov 5th) is still running perfectly.Restore Auto-Saved Content

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Tickalot View Post

I'm experiencing as well the issue with version 0.2.0 and 0.2.2 not starting anymore and "the spinning wheel" causing the explorer to stick. Maybe caused by some windows 10 or antivirus updates? The old version 1.0.0 (nov 5th) is still running perfectly.Restore Auto-Saved Content
    Thanks for reporting this bug!

Adamant's problem, as it turns out, was caused by his microphone not being plugged in when he started the program, so I don't think that yours is the same issue.

May I ask you to download version 0.2.3 (the very latest one), then try again, and tell me the result. This version differs from the previous one because I got rid of an annoying font issue which killed the OS X build. Your problem might be related to that. (Also the latest version has amplitude and is about 50% faster, so maybe you want to use it.)

I tried it now on a virtual machine with Windows 10 Enterprise (evaluation edition), no antivirus, and it did work.

I would greatly appreciate if other Windows users could give me a feedback on the latest testing version (0.2.3). Something like "Windows version, tg version: works / fails (failure mode, error message if any)." is more than enough.

May I ask you to download version 0.2.3 (the very latest one), then try again, and tell me the result.
    Windows 10 home + tg 0.2.3: spinning wheel, no entry in taskmanager but "tg.exe" in use, no message
    Windows 10 home + tg 0.2.0: spinning wheel, no entry in taskmanager but "tg.exe" in use, no message (has been running perfectly a few days ago)
    Windows 10 home + tg 0.1.0: running without problems (and very smooth on i7 laptop)
    (just realizing that I do not have 0.2.2)

Win XP home SP3 + tg all versions: running without problems (just a bit overstressed :-D from USB-stick on netbook with Intel Atom )

Windows 7 64bit + tg all versions: running without problems (Pentium 4 dualcore)

Seems that the bug is on my Win10 (maybe after KB3116908, Java update, Flash update ...). 12-13-2015 --> some conflict with Avast Free Antivirus
    Last edited by Klaus Tickalot; December 13th, 2015 at 19:57.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information