Problem with ETA G10.211

Thread: Problem with ETA G10.211

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Problem with ETA G10.211

Hello all,

I purchased a used Tissot prs 516 with the Quartz ETA g10.211 movement.

When I received the watch, I was disappointed to find that it is not operating correctly. The chronograph hands function properly, but the hour, minute, and seconds hands all do not move. Is the movement shot? If I source a new movement, any idea what it would cost a watch repair to replace? I have a set of basic tools but no hand puller.

Thanks for the input.

Re: Problem with ETA G10.211

I have the same movt in my Tissot, and it is also not functioning properly despite being nearly new. The G10 movts are garbage, IMO. One of our guys worked at Swatch, and they just throw them in the trash and put in a new movt. This is not only because the movt is sealed, but also because, as with most quartzes, it is cheaper to replace it than to spend time diagnosing and fixing it. The reason I mention this, is because when mine fails completely, I will NOT be replacing it with another G10 series movt, I will go with something else, although not sure what, exactly. Maybe just a better ETA quartz movt. Anyway, your movt is sealed and can't be repaired, is the short version.

North 36 52' 2.1786", West 76 19' 54.3396"

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    I have the same movt in my Tissot, and it is also not functioning properly despite being nearly new. The G10 movts are garbage, IMO. One of our guys worked at Swatch, and they just throw them in the trash and put in a new movt. This is not only because the movt is sealed, but also because, as with most quartzes, it is cheaper to replace it than to spend time diagnosing and fixing it. The reason I mention this, is because when mine fails completely, I will NOT be replacing it with another G10 series movt, I will go with something else, although not sure what, exactly. Maybe just a better ETA quartz movt. Anyway, your movt is sealed and can't be repaired, is the short version.
    Good luck finding a movement that is a drop in replacement.

I have not had a problem with the G10.211. Had a Mallard chronograph (from Jules Borel) for a few years now (it's on its second battery) and have yet to a problem with it....

The G10.21A, however, is not nearly and good. The major difference bewteen the .211 and .21A is the .21A is assembled "not in Switzerland".

An ETA G10.211 runs 36.95 (date at 4 o'clock) to 38.50 (date at 3 o'clock) from O. Frei...
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; January 31st, 2011 at 15:48.
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Thank you for the input.

Is it possible that the battery is low causing this malfunction? When I received the watch, the chrono timer was activated... would this possibly cause the battery to die during shipping? Should I try a new battery or is this likely not the problem?

Would replacing the movement be something i could accomplish myself? The local watch repair wants $150 to repair including the new movement. I have a basic set of tools, but no hand pullers. If I could do this myself I wouldn't mind saving the $100 and learning a new skill.

Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by KABAROV View Post
    Thank you for the input.

Is it possible that the battery is low causing this malfunction? When I received the watch, the chrono timer was activated... would this possibly cause the battery to die during shipping? Should I try a new battery or is this likely not the problem?

Would replacing the movement be something i could accomplish myself? The local watch repair wants $150 to repair including the new movement. I have a basic set of tools, but no hand pullers. If I could do this myself I wouldn't mind saving the $100 and learning a new skill.

Thanks for all the help!
    Well, changing the battery IS the first step in trouble-shooting any quartz watch. I would go there first.
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius

I haven't seriously looked into it as yet, but my Tissot houses a G10.711, which is Swiss. The 211 and 711 are both 13 and a quarter ligne. A 251.262 chrono should work, with an hour wheel height difference of .10mm between it and the 711. The 211 HW height is quite a bit shorter. There are some movt thickness differences, also. This is just a cursory observation, I'll look into it in more detail, maybe call our guy at Swatch. However, as Lysander says, always check the battery first. A trip with the Chrono running in the cold could very well have pooched your cell.

well i went ahead and changed the battery. still nothing from the h,m,s hands. Looks like it is still the original eta g10.211 inside so I will take it to a watchmaker to have it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by KABAROV View Post
    well i went ahead and changed the battery. still nothing from the h,m,s hands. Looks like it is still the original eta g10.211 inside so I will take it to a watchmaker to have it replaced.
    well last night I reassembled my watch. I reattached the bracelet and replaced the caseback. It is a press fit style so I gave it a good tamp with my plastic mallot to get it seated nicely. After I was finished I inspected the watch and low and behold, the h m and s hand are now working!! Maybe the motor that controls those hands was frozen up somehow? ah well at least it is now workin and I am very happy!

"As my grandmother used to say, anything mechanical, give it a good bash."

The g10 movements are throw away movements they are plastic riveted so they cannot be taken apart. they replaced the 262 caliber which can be cleaned and restored if you wanted too. Rik
    Rik Dietel Century 21 Certified Watchmaker
    Omega Service Provider Trained

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information