Thread: Quality case designers? Best distributors for selection?

Quality case designers? Best distributors for selection?

Hi there

I've recently jumped off the deep-end into this watch-making hobby... I'm loving learning about this stuff, however I find it quite frustrating trying to procure good quality parts. I've got a decent amount of denaro to invest in parts and I don't want to spend it on cheap parts from China or cases/straps that will fall apart.

I thought I'd start a thread on where everyone procures their parts and/or if they've found a really interesting distributor.

I'm asking if anyone knows where I can find good quality case manufacturers. Who are you using or where are you finding these cases?

I realize that many will say Ofrei, however I'm not a big fan of their cases for Unitas 6497/98 cases due to the printed lettering on the back (i.e. should be engraved in the metal) and lack of design options.

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton field officer cases, but I don't want to buy the whole watch ;) Very unique designed cases would be very helpful as well.
    Last edited by M-Lo; February 24th, 2012 at 04:47.

Re: Quality case designers? Best distributors for selection?

I've got a couple helenarou submariner cases with ceramic bezels and I think they're actually pretty good.

It's tough to find good cases though, because the actual number of people who build/assemble their own watches is pretty small.

Thanks Curt - I found a watchuseek forum where this guy was assembling Polish pilot and naval inspired watches. He some how found a company that will do custom tooling and design of his cases. I'm very impressed. I wish I knew who he was using.

Still looking for other places... There's a Bergeron case kit that looks interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by M-Lo View Post
    Hi there

I've recently jumped off the deep-end into this watch-making hobby... I'm loving learning about this stuff, however I find it quite frustrating trying to procure good quality parts. I've got a decent amount of denaro to invest in parts and I don't want to spend it on cheap parts from China or cases/straps that will fall apart.

I thought I'd start a thread on where everyone procures their parts and/or if they've found a really interesting distributor.

I'm asking if anyone knows where I can find good quality case manufacturers. Who are you using or where are you finding these cases?

I realize that many will say Ofrei, however I'm not a big fan of their cases for Unitas 6497/98 cases due to the printed lettering on the back (i.e. should be engraved in the metal) and lack of design options.

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton field officer cases, but I don't want to buy the whole watch ;) Very unique designed cases would be very helpful as well.
    I would like to have this info as well. I've perused the Ofrei website and also could not find a case to my liking. I found some on ebay from European sellers but I guess I'm too picky, nothing to my liking there as well.

So I thought of contacting a local machine shop which leads to the question of are most cases made by forging/casting? It seems that would be a more cost effective way of doing it.

Banned

Roland Kemmner have quality parts his cases are superb same as tourby use in theirs

his ebay erkahund | eBay

Website R.Kemmner

contact him directly if you want to buy loose parts it was some time since i last bought parts from him but as far as i know there should be no problems even tho he only lists complete watches on his website nowdays

Quote Originally Posted by lyxbaever View Post
    Roland Kemmner have quality parts his cases are superb same as tourby use in theirs

his ebay erkahund | eBay

Website R.Kemmner

contact him directly if you want to buy loose parts it was some time since i last bought parts from him but as far as i know there should be no problems even tho he only lists complete watches on his website nowdays
    Thanks for the links. I checked it out and sent him an email, hopefully he'll have something I like.

I checked out your builds in your signature. Very nice! I like your tactical best of all. Amazing lume! How did you separate the original sandwich dial?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ladius View Post
    I checked out your builds in your signature. Very nice! I like your tactical best of all. Amazing lume! How did you separate the original sandwich dial?
    Thanks those are only a selection and i should update that sig with some of my better builds. i do not post most of what i build here [insulting content removed]

And separating the dial i did with a case knife it is only glued togheter
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; February 26th, 2012 at 22:26.

Thread Information