Questions on how to launch a new brand of watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pithy

Thread: Questions on how to launch a new brand of watch

Question Questions on how to launch a new brand of watch

Hello dear community

I'm a brand new user, and first of all, I apologize in advance if somebody asked those questions already. I searched in the forum but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to create a new watch brand, that would be a swatch-like (so all plastic, but high quality), and I don't really know where to start for manufacturing. I tried to contact suppliers on Alibaba, but they are asking for expensive shipping fees for samples (and I want quality)
    Basically, I would like to be in touch with plastic-watch-producers (preferably in Europe) to be able to compare, pick one and understand what I need to provide to start working with it.

I have several questions, not necessarily in the right order, and I would be very grateful if you could help with my project:
    • Do you know any good watch-manufacturer (in Europe or somewhere else) that would be able to produce high-quality plastic watches? I would like to personalize everything for each model (dial, hands, strap...)
    • Do you know what type of files/info I would need to provide?
    • I already have a designer: where could I find watch-templates to start working on the design?
    • How is the relation with the supplier normally? I give the infos, it produces and ships, and that's it? Or are there other things I should think about
    • Can I personalize everything on the watch, or do you think that some parts could really increase the producing price?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Questions on how to launch a new brand of watch

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by ivan35 View Post
    ...Or are there other things I should think about
    1. Money
    2. More money
    3. An outstanding idea how to make a plastic watch attractive for the public.

Consider that the time of the wristwatch is over. People have plastic pocketwatches with certain additional features and call them phones. And if ever they bind a plastic thingy round their wrist, it is a terminal of the phone in the pocket.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

1. Money
    2. More money
    3. An outstanding idea how to make a plastic watch attractive for the public.

Consider that the time of the wristwatch is over. People have plastic pocketwatches with certain additional features and call them phones. And if ever they bind a plastic thingy round their wrist, it is a terminal of the phone in the pocket.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    That's been done. The iwatch. While it has been what some call a success the reality is it is a failure. As more people realize that it has its own built in obsolescence that cannot be undone sales continue to drop. The V1 is currently sitting in someone's drawer waiting to be thrown out. The future of mechanical watches is reviving the vintage pieces I think.
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1969 Omega Speedmaster

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Hello - Thanks for your replies.
    Indeed, I'm planning to make money out of this project. Because I would like to quit my job to develop that brand, and make this company grow.

Not sure I'm on the right forum though :(

While I'm sure there are people who could help out on this forum, I'm sure the notion of a plastic watch will deter them from doing so. I think Mr. Ranfft and the other replier are on point, but the dismissiveness is likely unhelpful. NAWCC may offer some guidance, but you may find resistance there, too. As you suspect, I imagine this question has been answered before, so a deeper dig in the myriad available fora would likely get you the answers you seek. Best of luck, and please post updates as your project develops!

Quote Originally Posted by ajsthe3 View Post
    While I'm sure there are people who could help out on this forum, I'm sure the notion of a plastic watch will deter them from doing so. I think Mr. Ranfft and the other replier are on point, but the dismissiveness is likely unhelpful. NAWCC may offer some guidance, but you may find resistance there, too. As you suspect, I imagine this question has been answered before, so a deeper dig in the myriad available fora would likely get you the answers you seek. Best of luck, and please post updates as your project develops!
    Thanks a lot Sir, I'll resume my search then.

The most important facts are already said- the market situation is already far over the peak and demand already decreasing again ( do you know someone who still wears a ice watch or swatch for all days .
    There are first staff reduces in the Swiss watch branch in progress.
    Swatch themselves developed the leading trimming and tuning technologies to adjust watches in closed ( through) case and produce plastic watches in higher amounts and cheaper than small amounts ever will be able to be sold ( as soon as you will have to pay for the quality movement). Now the question - how big is the benefit for your (perhaps) customers to decide for your product even if you will do high quality, comparable with other high quality plastic watches ...
    - Sorry, I still do not recognize the point in your idea, from which the idea would become a winning project ( at least for me).

DON

Chinese companies make money by producing a minimum run to offset the start up costs. Making you a few prototypes is the reason for the high sample costs.

Usually most will have a minimum of 500 watches.

Plastic does not = quality. Plastic = cheap and disposable.

Number of companies have a number of pre designed cases to fit certain movements. You come up with the dial design for the type of movement you plan to use.

Lot of small independent companies producing watches, but none with their own movement design (not counting upper end dependents).

You could come up with your own case design, but that will add to the cost. You need someone to design the case and produce in Cad Link or any similar type file. If you use a template. Your just copying another design. Look at different cases and decide what parts you like and incorporate them into the design

Can use Chinese or Japanese movements to keep the cost low. Higher end Sellita or ETA movements, but that increases the prices.

With suppliers. You give them the design to see if it's feasible to produce. A 50% payment and final on completion

Can do anything you like, but changes will cost money if you decide you like a particular aspect. Thats why you need to be sure on everything before you start.

DON

Quote Originally Posted by ivan35 View Post
    . . . . I searched in the forum but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. . . .
    I googled http://forums.watchuseek.com/ for the following arguments. The number of results follows each.

"start a watch company" 529

"start a watch brand" 251

"my own watch company" 190

"my own watch brand" 135

"launch a new brand" 38

"launch a new watch" 63

"start a new watch brand" 5

"start a new watch company" 5
    maillchort likes this.
    Check out the latest Tour installment: "BenchGuy, Watchmaker/Adventurer" Hidden Content Hidden Content

Nothing for bad but it feels that everyone who passed the mid life crisis successfully would have to invest his money in a watch brand ....

But I guess maam google does not count the stranded or brankrupted ones sitting beside the way to desire.

Let me give you my five - call them hints or as you like ( some would say show stoppers some would say liars in the first case and some would say pessimist:

1:
    A good and precise mold for a plastic watch is surely some x0000 bucks ( 30k$ china to 50k$ Swizerland) ... enough to cut more then about 100 watch cases of standard grade from stainless steel stock material... or to cut more than 500 simple watches from brass.

2:
    Is a high quality plastic watch just the case - Now take the Gshock - The movement is specialized and the display adapted to the design.
    the case is special Compound which withstands the environment and additionally coated... seems that you would have to do a lot of homework to play with the heavy guys.

3:
    Where is your target ... you do not have the Bling effect ( Michael Kors) more the cheapish way; you do not have the " I can withstand everything" Gshock look ) and you have not yet any vintage or colletors attration as your brand has no story and no history.

4:
    I do not know about the taxing system where you come from but in Germany the economical value of youe equipment decreases from the day you launch your business..... until you win the trust of your customers and get some money back... first enough to compensate your efforts afterwards enough to have a little benefit..... --- Ever made an NPV calc?

5:
    Do an overall estimation with money and the personal efforts you put into the bucket ... and if you will decide to do it afterwards - go for it- but
    dont hunt your own illusions and ride into the sundown on your dream
    Last edited by MechaMind; 5 Minutes Ago at 20:20.

Thread Information