Relatively "cheap" watch - Repair Possible? Worth it?

Thread: Relatively "cheap" watch - Repair Possible? Worth it?

Relatively "cheap" watch - Repair Possible? Worth it?

First off, I apologize if this isn't the appropriate forum for this particular question. I'm new, and this seemed closest to the forum to ask this in.

I have a Callaway Golf watch that I purchased pretty cheap ($70-80) at a TJ Maxx for just a daily/low-key wear. It's the CY2123 automatic watch.

http://www.callawaygolfwatches.com/p...lection_series

I didn't have it long before something went wrong. It just stopped keeping time, would go in fits and starts even with winding/wear.

Fortunately, it was under warranty so I sent it in to be repaired. Not surprisingly they (owned by Fossil) didn't have any interest in actually repairing it and instead gave me a voucher for a new watch of equal value (their msrp of $275 + an allowance to go over a bit, which is a sweet deal given what I paid for it) from any of their brands. So the good news is that I've already ordered a new Zodiac watch that should be coming soon.

However, I was thinking that there's no reason not to look into getting the Callaway repaired too (two for the price of one!). So, was hoping someone could let me know if it's even possible to get this repaired at a local watch repair, and if so, how much $ we'd be talking about (i.e. is it worth the effort/money)?

Thanks!

Re: Relatively "cheap" watch - Repair Possible? Worth it?

Hey man, looks like you got a really good deal. I own few watches and from time to time they all need either a battery, tune up, or quick polish. Unfortunately, it seems all the watch repair centers around me either mail out my watch to someone else or can't get the parts to fix the watch. I have used mail in watch repair companys in the past to fix watches that have had the same problem as yours. Depending on the what is actually wrong with the watch it could cost pry between $30-50. Some of the websites I have used are www.Repairurwatch.com and www.qualitywatchrepair.com.

Its probably a chinese movment. A watchmaker could likely source a new one for under $50, plus installation. Repairing the existing one would probably be over $200, 'cause of the labor involved.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Its probably a chinese movment. A watchmaker could likely source a new one for under $50, plus installation. Repairing the existing one would probably be over $200, 'cause of the labor involved.
    It may not be quite that expensive as you may be able to get a proper service for $100 or so. But, it's sadly probably not worth it. You actually got a great deal with the voucher...

Thanks. Sounds like this one will just be sitting around for looks.

I am looking forward to the Zodiac, not something I would normally get, so I'm pretty excited.

show us a pic of the movement, and we would be able to give you a better idea of what a replacement would cost. In my opinion, it would be far cheaper to swap out a new movement than to do any repair work to your existing one.

Movement says "China 33 Jewels." Here are pics:

Last edited by dkatunc; January 30th, 2010 at 19:26.
    TAG Heuer - Link Calibre S
    TAG Heuer - Aquaracer Calibre 5
    Luminox - 3081

Seiko - Titanium
    Seiko - 5 (Vintage - circa early 70s)
    Zodiac - Sea Dragon

Orient - Planet Orient
    Orient - Blue Mako
    Perpetual - Regulator R-01

Thread Information