Replacement tritium hands for Luminox

Thread: Replacement tritium hands for Luminox

Replacement tritium hands for Luminox

Hi,

Long shot, I have a Luminox 3000/3900 V3 that has a dead tritium tube on the minute hand.

I've been quoted AUD $93.50 by a Luminox service center to get a new set of hands installed (which is half the original cost of the watch). The hands apparently only come in sets (hour/minute), and they will not sell me the hands. They source and must install them, despite that I am more than capable of doing the work myself.

I escalated it to their support and they advised it will cost more than that if they were to post them to be from Switzerland. They also told me to get a service center to just sell me a minute hand, which the only one in Australia refuses to do. Looking around, it appears near impossible to source suitable replacement tritium hands.

I'm thinking if just sticking a pair of standard superluminova hands on and calling it a day...unless someone can point me in the direction of getting tritium hands? This is why I like my Seiko's and Citizens... easy to source everything and replacement parts are cheap.

DON

Re: Replacement tritium hands for Luminox

Cost more to ship from Switzerland? place hands in a baggie and into a padded mailer for a few bucks. These places always seem to find the most expensive way of shipping items.

If under a set price that I'm not going to worry about. I tell them cheap method.

Got some needles on the way. $7.00 order. Ship in a regular letter envelope for $2.00 or fed-ex for $36.00. I took the letter.

Buy regular luminova in place of the pain the ass hands. Less aggravation

DON

All good, just going to source some hands suitable for a Rhonda quartz. Shame, but not other cost-effective alternative

They do sell the tritium tubes on eBay- although I don't know if you could exact size. I was looking on a whim awhile back and saw several sizes, sets, configurations. The actual process, however is a different matter. I wonder if shipping gets into hazmat issues d/ t radiation- they have to be registered as radioactive sources... Do the regs account for " minuscule bits" or just "any rads"? Does a nylons know of a "generic" relume operator that can do tubes, paint on any watch?

DON

Quote Originally Posted by zoobilz View Post
    They do sell the tritium tubes on eBay- although I don't know if you could exact size. I was looking on a whim awhile back and saw several sizes, sets, configurations. The actual process, however is a different matter. I wonder if shipping gets into hazmat issues d/ t radiation- they have to be registered as radioactive sources... Do the regs account for " minuscule bits" or just "any rads"? Does a nylons know of a "generic" relume operator that can do tubes, paint on any watch?
    The tubes are legal to sell and use as they are sealed. It was banned on watch dials as it was applied to the dial surface.

Can't redo a sealed tube. Unless the person on Ebay has one to the size you need. You can't size the tube or you open or damage it.

DON

Thread Information