Replacing hands
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BenchGuy
  • 1 Post By BenchGuy

Thread: Replacing hands

Replacing hands

I am planning to mod an SKX and have a question about replacing the hands. I have all the tools I need, but when I put the hands back on, how to I ensure that they are correct? Meaning, if I set the time to 12 and pull the hands off and it takes me 5 minutes to replace the face and get ready to put the hands back on...if I put the hands on at 12, won't I be 5 minutes off (at least for the date change)? Or will the watch stop when I pull the crown out? This is my first watch mod, so the hands and dial might take 2 minutes or 2 hours...I don't know yet. Or does this even matter? I've watched several videos and they all just press the hands back on in random arrangement. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your tips.
    Never try to install spring bars in a hurry. -lvt

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

Re: Replacing hands

Set the hour and min hands with no power on the watch (since the 7S26 does not hack). With the crown in the setting position, advance the time until the date changes. Set the hour hand at 12...don't press fully into position at first. Advance through a couple of 24 hour periods to verify that you have it set so that the date changes exactly at 12 making small adjustments if necessary. Then press the hand into its final position. Make sure it is level and pressed completely onto the hour wheel. Advance the time through another 12 hours to make sure the hand does not touch the dial and remains level. With the hour hand on any hour marker, set the minute hand at 12 (again, don't set fully...just enough to stay in place). Advance the time until the date changes...minute hand and hour hand should be at 12...adjust the minute hand as necessary...advance the time through another day or two to verify position, then finish pushing the hand on. Now check through at least 12 hours that the minute hand is level and does not hit the hour hand in any position. Now put some power on the movement (couple of turns of the ratchet wheel screw should do). Set the ss hand...make sure it is level...adjust as necessary...then fully press the hand into position. Verify that the ss hand is level and does not touch the minute hand in any position. Put a very thin film of watch oil on the tip of the ss hand. Case the watch up and let it run several minutes, dial down. Uncase the watch and verify that no oil transferred to the crystal (indicating that the ss hand is not touching the crystal). Verify clearance on all hands. Remove oil from ss hand. Inspect crystal and dial for dust and remove as necessary. Case up movement complete. Test for water resistance.

Be certain that you use good technique so as not to scratch/mar the dial/hands and use only non-marring tools designed for setting hands. Be prepared for the likelihood that hands will require broaching to fit correctly.

So you see, there is really not much to it.
    Regards, BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; April 19th, 2017 at 13:25.
    Everett464 and Michael Maddan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchGuy View Post
    Set the hour and min hands with no power on the watch (since the 7S26 does not hack). With the crown in the setting position, advance the time until the date changes. Set the hour hand at 12...don't press fully into position at first. Advance through a couple of 24 hour periods to verify that you have it set so that the date changes exactly at 12 making small adjustments if necessary. Then press the hand into its final position. Make sure it is level and pressed completely onto the hour wheel. Advance the time through another 12 hours to make sure the hand does not touch the dial and remains level. With the hour hand on any hour marker, set the minute hand at 12 (again, don't set fully...just enough to stay in place). Advance the time until the date changes...minute hand and hour hand should be at 12...adjust the minute hand as necessary...advance the time through another day or two to verify position, then finish pushing the hand on. Now check through at least 12 hours that the minute hand is level and does not hit the hour hand in any position. Now put some power on the movement (couple of turns of the ratchet wheel screw should do). Set the ss hand...make sure it is level...adjust as necessary...then fully press the hand into position. Verify that the ss hand is level and does not touch the minute hand in any position. Put a very thin film of watch oil on the tip of the ss hand. Case the watch up and let it run several minutes, dial down. Uncase the watch and verify that no oil transferred to the crystal (indicating that the ss hand is not touching the crystal). Verify clearance on all hands. Remove oil from ss hand. Inspect crystal and dial for dust and remove as necessary. Case up movement complete. Test for water resistance.

Be certain that you use good technique so as not to scratch/mar the dial/hands and use only non-marring tools designed for setting hands. Be prepared for the likelihood that hands will require broaching to fit correctly.

So you see, there is really not much to it.
    Regards, BG
    Good gravy. Every video just shows the guy mashing in the hands. That's a lot to digest. Thanks.

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

What's the secret to the second hand? I destroyed mine tonight. Does the nub go down or up?

The nub, or tube, goes down.
    Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by Minorcollector View Post
    . . . . I destroyed mine tonight. . . .
    Please post a high resolution photo.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Please post a high resolution photo.
    In order to better able the diagnosis...or because you like to SEE the carnage...?
    (;
    staggerb likes this.

Thread Information