Reproduction/restoration enamel dials ?

Thread: Reproduction/restoration enamel dials ?

Reproduction/restoration enamel dials ?

Hi
    I've been nosing about on the web about this subject for some time. Enameling the dial doesn't present any problem but just how was the lettering done.

On clocks I've come across 2 types. One seems to be painted on but I can't help wondering what type of paint was used. Other better quality one use enamel for the lettering, patterns and face. No sign of anything to keep the them in place during firing either.

Does anybody know of any info on the web on this subject or any info at all.

I've recently come across references to an "enamel paint" that needs firing too but the web has failed to come up with any suppliers.

The only detailed web info I've managed to find gives information on cleaning dirt out of cracks and using a wax to to hide defects more effectively. I'm more interested in making a new dial from scratch.

Regards
    John

Re: Reproduction/restoration enamel dials ?

That's an excellent link. I must have googled everything except howto. Without that a flood of people who offer the service come up.

On enamel I have bought a cheap book on enameling for beginners. There are several on Amazon that give a run down on all of the main techniques. The one I bought by Cockrell is a bit scant on hard detail about different firing temperatures so some experimentation is needed. It does give an example where HB pencil lead is fired into an enameled disc - seems many things can be.

I've seen several references stating that brass can't be enameled. This strongly suggests that the brass used in pocket watches etc must have been coated with something - but what?

John

I believe copper or bronze

Thread Information