Revue 59 running slow with new balance

Thread: Revue 59 running slow with new balance

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    71

    Revue 59 running slow with new balance

    Hello,

    I bought recently an old Revue watch with movement 59. It was sold as non-working, and indeed that's what it was. Both balance staff pivots were broken, and also the hairspring was in such a bad shape that I decided to buy a new (NOS) balance complete when I found one.

    OK, I fitted the balance on the cock, adjusted the hairspring so that it runs nicely between the pins, and put the assembly in place. The watch started running fine, the amplitude is good, nearly 300, and after some adjusting the beat error is just a few milliseconds. But the watch runs very slow, the rate is about -300.

    I have cleaned and lubricated the movement carefully. I didn't find any broken jewels, bent pivots or anything else suspicious. The gear train spinned effortlessly without the pallet, and when installed, the pallet ticked nicely from side to side when pushed lightly. So everything up to that point seems to be quite OK.

    Now I'm not sure what I should do next... Try to make the balance wheel lighter? Make the hairspring shorter by moving the point where it's fixed to the stud? No... I would rather get some advice or suggestions before doing anything stupid.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by jsavis; 1 Day Ago at 21:26.

  2. #2
    Member Shikyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,035

    Re: Revue 59 running slow with new balance

    Is it possible to move the regulator arm enough for it to run decently?

    Are there screws on the balance wheel? If there are screws, it'll be rather simple to remove weight to make the balance wheel lighter. There might be some balance screw weights underneath, which you can easily remove. Of course, you can also remove material from the screws themselves.

    I wouldn't touch the hairspring stud as moving it will also effect the terminal curve. Especially if the balance wheel has screws.

    Just remember, when you start removing or adding weight to balance you have to be careful not to create balance error.

  3. #3
    Member pithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,700

    Re: Revue 59 running slow with new balance

    Quote Originally Posted by jsavis View Post
    . . . . I decided to buy a new (NOS) balance complete when I found one. . . . . But the watch runs very slow, the rate is about -300. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikyo View Post
    . . . . If there are screws, it'll be rather simple to remove weight to make the balance wheel lighter. . . .
    The spring was only roughly vibrated.

    What is the interval in degrees from the collet pinning to the stud pinning?
    Check out the latest Tour installment: "BenchGuy, Watchmaker/Adventurer" Hidden Content Hidden Content

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    71

    Re: Revue 59 running slow with new balance

    Terve Shikyo ja kiitos neuvoista.

    No, the the adjusting range of the regulator arm is not big enough.

    Yes, the balance has screws, and actually my first thought was that this would be a good chance to get some practice playing with these screws. I have a small assortment of different balance screws, so it would be easy to replace some of them with lighter ones and see the effect - and go back to the original state if needed. But... the screws on this balance don't have slots. The screw heads are perfectly solid and flat. So how are these screws supposed to be turned? Not with a screwdriver anyway...


    Pithy, thanks for your comments. Do I understand right that you are saying that there is much more to replacing a balance with a new one than just throwing it in and thinking everything should be fine? I should first study, learn and understand how to vibrate the hairspring (and get tools for that) and move on from there?

    To your question: if I understand correctly what you are asking the interval from the collet pinning to the stud pinning is a bit more than 270 degrees. I don't know how to measure this exactly but my rough visual estimate would be somewhere around 280.

  5. #5
    Member pithy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,700

    Re: Revue 59 running slow with new balance

    Quote Originally Posted by jsavis View Post
    Terve Shikyo ja kiitos neuvoista.

    No, the the adjusting range of the regulator arm is not big enough.

    Yes, the balance has screws, and actually my first thought was that this would be a good chance to get some practice playing with these screws. I have a small assortment of different balance screws, so it would be easy to replace some of them with lighter ones and see the effect - and go back to the original state if needed. But... the screws on this balance don't have slots. The screw heads are perfectly solid and flat. So how are these screws supposed to be turned? Not with a screwdriver anyway...


    Pithy, thanks for your comments. Do I understand right that you are saying that there is much more to replacing a balance with a new one than just throwing it in and thinking everything should be fine? I should first study, learn and understand how to vibrate the hairspring (and get tools for that) and move on from there?

    To your question: if I understand correctly what you are asking the interval from the collet pinning to the stud pinning is a bit more than 270 degrees. I don't know how to measure this exactly but my rough visual estimate would be somewhere around 280.
    Has the stud pin been trimmed or is it full length?

    275 is our magic number.

    Place one tweezer jaw on the stud and one on the pointed end if the pin and press ever so lightly.

    Shorten the hairspring length a distance equal to the normal range of the regulating pins arc.
    Check out the latest Tour installment: "BenchGuy, Watchmaker/Adventurer" Hidden Content Hidden Content

  6. #6
    Member Shikyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,035

    Re: Revue 59 running slow with new balance

    Quote Originally Posted by jsavis View Post
    Terve Shikyo ja kiitos neuvoista.

    No, the the adjusting range of the regulator arm is not big enough.

    Yes, the balance has screws, and actually my first thought was that this would be a good chance to get some practice playing with these screws. I have a small assortment of different balance screws, so it would be easy to replace some of them with lighter ones and see the effect - and go back to the original state if needed. But... the screws on this balance don't have slots. The screw heads are perfectly solid and flat. So how are these screws supposed to be turned? Not with a screwdriver anyway...
    Eipä kestä.

    It's always better to ask than to not to. Too bad, it would've been the easiest solution by far.

    You should never use a screwdriver with them. Even those that do have the slit. There's a special tool for operating them: Balance screw holder. You pick the correct size and it clamps around the screw, without causing any damage if the size is correct, and you can remove the screw easily. At the same time it holds it to allow easy insertion of balance weights underneath the screws.
    Just remember, finding a fitting screw is not as easy as it may seem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. jsavis

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 10th, 2016, 05:24
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 9th, 2014, 02:11
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 6th, 2013, 16:59
  4. Running fast seems to be better than running slow...
    By Turnaround in forum Public Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 4th, 2011, 00:46
  5. Running fast better than running slow?
    By Willieboy in forum Seiko & Citizen
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 14th, 2008, 07:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •