Rolex oyster perpetual 1991 watch parts
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Samantha
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan
  • 1 Post By Snakepottery

Thread: Rolex oyster perpetual 1991 watch parts

Rolex oyster perpetual 1991 watch parts

I have recently acquired some watch parts from my friends 1991 Rolex Oyster solid gold watch, it was water damaged whilst he was on holiday and he has had it repaired. The watch repairer told him he should be able to sell the returned parts.

Just wondered if anybody can give me some advice and information on the watch parts so I know roughly what I have?

Here's some images of the watch and the parts I have:

The watch

The parts

I have these now listed on Ebay for my friend and have already been asked how much I'll take? I don't have any idea lol.
    I started the bidding at 80.

Any help/info would be very much appreciated

Cheers in advance

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dkennyken; 15 Hours Ago at 23:55.

Re: Rolex oyster perpetual 1991 watch parts

Hi,
    They are worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay and that the seller is willing to accept. Being as they were replaced due to water damage, they may not be worth much to anybody.
    Samantha
    dkennyken likes this.

Hello! Anyone who is able to use these parts, will know what they're looking at, & bid accordingly. Speaking personally, I'm looking for a few Rolex parts, myself--another Caliber, alas!--and would be very interested in bidding on them in this condition: some pieces are very difficult to find, and one is wise to acquire them when available...if they're not usable, oops: more parts to go in the 'maybe tomorrow...' drawer!
    dkennyken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maddan View Post
    Hello! Anyone who is able to use these parts, will know what they're looking at, & bid accordingly. Speaking personally, I'm looking for a few Rolex parts, myself--another Caliber, alas!--and would be very interested in bidding on them in this condition: some pieces are very difficult to find, and one is wise to acquire them when available...if they're not usable, oops: more parts to go in the 'maybe tomorrow...' drawer!
    Thanks for the advice ;)

They are in good condition as you mension, as soon as his watch was damaged he took it straight to his watch repairers (a nice 2000 fix lol).
    It was his watch repairer that advised him to sell the parts.

Hi,
    I hate to ask this, but if the parts are perfectly good then why were the replaced in the first place? If they are not serviceable, then who would want them?
    Without looking at them under a loupe its impossible to comment on the condition.
    Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BenchGuy likes this.

Sometimes parts are replaced because it is what the client wants...especially with a watch which has experienced water penetration. Used parts are...at the very least...worn. In this case you don't know which parts were replaced because of wear/function and which were "elective" or "preemptive". You are not a watchmaker and are likely in no position to represent the condition of the parts...any representation on your part is delicate and likely to be troublesome.
    As for the parts:
    -crystal: likely has chips on edges...better images might give a better indication of condition. May or may not be genuine (look for laser-etched Rolex logo). Most folks are unaware of the logo...and often when fitted with a light dial background is difficult to see...even under magnification. Most folks would rather have a new condition generic than a chipped original.
    -crystal gasket: dispose of this...should not ever be re-used.
    -case back gasket: dispose of this...should not be re-used...and indistinguishable from generic.
    -escape wheel: probably trash...these don't like water...I would expect to see damage to the polished pivots and/or teeth...(BTW...it probably arrived in the clam shell).
    -ss wheel: likely has rust on the arbor...especially upper pivot and where it engages with the center pinion.
    -3rd wheel: likely has rust on the pinion and/or pivots
    -case tube: replaced at every service interval...generics are cheap, indistinguishable...threads are usually worn.
    -balance stop: has visible rust...can be cleaned...will suffer further oxidation...reputable watchmakers would not re-use this item.
    -calendar plate: issue is probably rust on permanently mounted steel parts which are inaccessible for cleaning...if you cloud clean, surfaces will have damage and be susceptible to further deterioration ....otherwise, visible stains could be removed.
    -mainspring: even if okay, not worth servicing with quality/price of generics.
    -barrel: likely worn...and/or broken teeth...don't know what current RolxSC replacement policy is, but ADs are not required to replace unless worn. Barrel arbor is likely rusty and/or worn.
    -Autoweight/axle: curious that an axle is loose and there is also one staked into the autoweight. The loose one is trash...you don't re-stake these. If the axle has been replaced in the autoweight, there is probably no reason not to use it.
    -date indicator: probably irrevocably stained with rust.

But for the fact these came from a "Rolex"...no one would look twice at any of these.

Unless you are prepared to make representations (and I wouldn't), start at GBP 1.00 and see where it goes...what do you have to loose? Alternatively...bin them...what is your reputation worth?

Regards, BG

Thanks for the in depth answers, this is what I wanted when I put up my post :)
    I am no expert so was just going off the advice given by the watch repairer, he said they are worth 100+ so I thought 80 was a fair starting price.
    As I said they look in good condition, can't see any rust but obviously under magnification that may be a different story as mensioned.
    Obviously with the watch being from 1991 there may be Wear that I can't see.

Once again thanks for the advice and information it's very much appreciated.

Thread Information