Thread: Seiko 7009A date won't advance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seiko 7009A date won't advance

Help! I tried to service my Seiko 7009-4030 automatic with a 7009A movement and somehow disabled the date from advancing. This first happened when I removed the winding stem and inserted it back without depressing the release lever. Did that have something to do with it (i.e. messing up the clutch)? Or, would I need to open the movement again and see if the problem is with the date dial/finger/dial guard?

I've managed to work on the winding mechanism side, but not on the dial side yet. After reassembling the winding mechanism and setting the time only, I noticed that the date won't advance but the day does after crossing 12 o'clock. The date does advance when I turn the stem though.

Any advice?

PS. The hardest part of the winding mechanism reassembly was getting the balance wheel back to the pallet fork with the wheel still attached to the balance cock via the spring. Getting it in there was just prayers and luck.
    Last edited by gregoron; March 1st, 2010 at 13:08.

Re: Seiko 7009A date won't advance

With most Seiko and sitizen movements you should pull the stem (crown) out first, before removing stem!
    If not done so, there is a chance that you have to remove the hands, dial and put it right again.

succes!
    RJ van Melle.

Quote Originally Posted by rmelle View Post
    With most Seiko and sitizen movements you should pull the stem (crown) out first, before removing stem!
    If not done so, there is a chance that you have to remove the hands, dial and put it right again.

succes!
    RJ van Melle.
    Thanks. I did that. With the 7009A, you need to have the crown out in order to press the release lever, which only protrudes when the crown is in the hour adjusting position.

It could be that I messed this up when I inserted the crown/stem in and adjusted the date with the time in between 9pm and 3am. If so, is there a quick fix to this?

I am afraid that you need to remove hands, dial.
    and start all over again, and again, and again.....
    It is possible that the lever is not working correctly, the spring lever etc.
    start all over again, with just a little patience in your butt.
    As I am working as a professional I advise you:
    If something is not working correctly in what way doesn't matter.
    Always start over remove all the parts, inspect each part on it's functioning or mallfunctioning.
    and:
    When building, check each step wether it works, most amateurs make that mistake: they just put the watch together and hoping it does work but then: it just doesn't work. And then you do not know where to look at thirst in problem searching....

for the date system:
    first the keyless parts, check, check it again.
    setting time: check
    setting date position: check
    functioning of all levers: check
    build date module complete and when advancing time by hand date should shange
    and so on and so on......

Succes!
    RJ van melle.

datasheet:
    http://www.seiko.de/mediadatabase/7009A.pdf
    Last edited by rmelle; March 6th, 2010 at 12:22. Reason: adding datasheet

Thank you for your reply and advice. Well, I did just that. I disassembled the movement's dial side step by step carefully following the parts diagram. I had already serviced the winding side earlier.

I discovered that the problem was with the intermediate date wheel. There are two gear sets in that wheel, which should turn as one. It relays power from the hour wheel to the date wheel. The intermediate date wheel's two gears have come loose. I had to crimp the larger gear so that the smaller gear fit tightly inside. I think that Seiko did this in order to protect the movement from quicksetting the date outside the forbidden hours. I posted this at the Seiko forum too.

After doing that, I re-assembled the movement after testing the date and day mechanisms. I had to go back a couple of times after already installing the hands. In the end, it paid off as the date and day are now working properly.

This also gave me the opportunity to clean and lube the watch, which had a stiff cannon pinion. I noticed that his gave the watch a longer power reserve and better accuracy too.

Another job well done!

succes,
    RJ van Melle.

Looks like I spoke too soon on this watch's accuracy after "fixing" it. After a week, I've observed that I lose around 4 minutes per day when I wear the watch, but it keeps good time when I leave it fully wound on my dresser with dial up. Is there something I should look at again in the dial and/or winding mechanism?

Remove balance wheel again, check on the lower jewels where may have excess amount of oil or was not clean.

In your initial post you said that placing the balance back was with just luck.
    I hope you did't damage the hairspring.
    there might be a problem there, hope not for you!

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

Help! After servicing it last night, it's now gaining 5 minutes per HOUR.

I did clean and lubricate the winding mechanism side from mainspring to the balance wheel jewel. I did not find anything wrong with the hairspring. It's still between the regulator studs and I don't see any kinks. The balance wheel was easier to install this time as it just slid right in and started turning after I gave it some power.

I wonder if I magnetized the hairspring, or other parts, as I found out later that the tweezers I used to install the balance assembly actually attracts small screws.

Could this fast movement be due to magnetism, or should I just let the watch settle in first? I mean, five minutes per hour is way too fast.

If it's magnetized, could I just have a store clerk at Borders bookstore demagnetize it with one of their security demagnetization devices?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information