Silicones in watch maintenance.

Thread: Silicones in watch maintenance.

Silicones in watch maintenance.

I am a chemist by education and more specifically I have a concentration in silicone chemistry. My fields of expertise are silicone polymers and copolymers and I am wondering if my field of study and my passion for watches can overlap in any way.

I know that there are some silicone based lubricants in both fluid and grease form used in watch maintenance. From the look of it, these products are simple neat fluids or wax and powder blends. Nothing really exciting but the question is: is there a reason to improve?

Is there a need for silicone products with very specific characteristics such as refractive index, wetting, spreading, compatibility, viscosity etc? Have you ever used these products but found them lacking in any way? I wonder if I can make a better mousetrap and thought it would be a fun project to work with a watchmaker to come up with something extraordinary.

Thoughts?

Re: Silicones in watch maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    I am a chemist by education and more specifically I have a concentration in silicone chemistry. My fields of expertise are silicone polymers and copolymers and I am wondering if my field of study and my passion for watches can overlap in any way.
    I know that there are some silicone based lubricants in both fluid and grease form used in watch maintenance. From the look of it, these products are simple neat fluids or wax and powder blends. Nothing really exciting but the question is: is there a reason to improve?

Is there a need for silicone products with very specific characteristics such as refractive index, wetting, spreading, compatibility, viscosity etc? Have you ever used these products but found them lacking in any way? I wonder if I can make a better mousetrap and thought it would be a fun project to work with a watchmaker to come up with something extraordinary.

Thoughts?
    Tribology much?
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Tribology much?
    That's one of the beauties of silicones in general but interestingly a property that I am often asked to mitigate. Getting silicones to stay put is a real problem in industrial applications.

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post
    That's one of the beauties of silicones in general but interestingly a property that I am often asked to mitigate. Getting silicones to stay put is a real problem in industrial applications.
    Horological tribology has a rich history replete with inovation.

With the exception of leather preservation and case sealing silicone has been tested and been found wanting.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thread Information