Some basic Accutron Questions - Page 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Some basic Accutron Questions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Some basic Accutron Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Put the collet on a smoothing broach and slide it so it is a little loose on the broach, then gently squeeze it to tighten it. This will also prevent it from being closed too much. Please note that this takes a steady, gentle touch and a good pair of tweezers or a good, fine pair of pliers.
    Samantha
    Thanks Samantha,
    I never heard of a smoothing broach but I see my supplier has them so will pick up a set tomorrow .

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    Thanks Samantha,
    I never heard of a smoothing broach but I see my supplier has them so will pick up a set tomorrow .
    Ah, interesting technique. When I had a loose or wobbly collet that wouldn't keep tension I simply replaced it. I bought up a lot of spare movements and original parts. Good to know I can do this to salvage these. Haven't had an Accutron that needed attention for 2 or 3 years, so I'm a little rusty.

Thanks Samantha,
    Bought them ,used them as per Samantha's instruction , PERFECT.
    thank you

You're welcome!
    Samantha

Picked up non working for $50 app. Spent further $120 for hands,signed crystal and new pawl assembly and ended up with below after many hours lining up those damm jewels. Tension still not quite right.
    Issue is when cased it takes three or four try's to pull crown out to second position to move hands whereas it's ok when uncased ?
    What have I done wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

...after many hours lining up those damm jewels. Tension still not quite right.*

Issue is when cased it takes three or four try's to pull crown out to second position to move hands whereas it's ok when uncased ? **
    What have I done wrong?
    *Did you use the gage? The ESA 916x (Omega 125x) is probably the easiest tuning fork watch to service...and yields the best and most consistent results. The gage is mounted in the tf module and is a flawless means of setting alignment and tension.
    **Perhaps gunk in the case tube or an alignment issue. Perhaps a description of what you did would help in the determination of what you did wrong? Images might help.

Did you completely service the watch per the service bulletin...?

There are a few quirks in servicing the 916x/125x/f300:
    1. Service bulletin says to remove the tf module before even uncasing the movement...this is a VERY GOOD IDEA. When removing/re-installing the module, the stem should be in the middle position.
    2. Hand removal and installation is done with the tf module not installed...this protects the index wheel/index finger/pawl finger. (Movement hacks electrically but not physically...so only the friction wheel protects the index mechanism).
    3. Be diligent in servicing the friction wheel assembly. Probably the chief culprit in killing index wheels/index finger/pawl fingers. When you advance the hands forward, the ss hand should not jump forward...or worse yet move rapidly forward. When lubricating the friction wheel you must be very careful not to deform the friction spring. Use a moly lubricant and I use a small strip of batter cell insulator to apply it between the wheel and the friction disc which is part of the assembly.

NEVER move the hands CCW!!!! on this caliber.

Use only Renata batteries in this movement. All other manufacturers have changed the cross-sectional profile of their can and the batteries will short against the negative contact unless you fabricate an additional insulator.

Link to service bulletin: http://www.timetrafficker.com/about/...air-manual.pdf

Phasing for silver oxide batteries is covered in same document as Accutrons.

Regards, BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; 2 Days Ago at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchGuy View Post
    *Did you use the gage? The ESA 916x (Omega 125x) is probably the easiest tuning fork watch to service...and yields the best and most consistent results. The gage is mounted in the tf module and is a flawless means of setting alignment and tension.
    Yes ,found it very easy to use and accurate. I left Movement going uncased for four days and it was fine.

**Perhaps gunk in the case tube or an alignment issue. Perhaps a description of what you did would help in the determination of what you did wrong? Images might help.
    I am stripping and starting from scratch ,mainly because of all below.
    Did you completely service the watch per the service bulletin...?
    Unfortunately since my post I find I have totally messed it up. I attached hands etc and cased movement without removing the tf assembly .
    I knew I had to separate but no I knew best and as it was going so well why disturb it.
    The result being erratic rotation of index wheel (slow,very fast,stops .) ss hand spins when rotating hands . Slightly bent index arm at jewel.
    Simply,all you say to avoid I did.
    I do not know if I have damaged the index wheel but luckily I used the original which you previously pointed out was pretty worn . I have a pretty good replacement .

There are a few quirks in servicing the 916x/125x/f300:
    1. Service bulletin says to remove the tf module before even uncasing the movement...this is a VERY GOOD IDEA. When removing/re-installing the module, the stem should be in the middle position. At least I had stem position correct
    2. Hand removal and installation is done with the tf module not installed...this protects the index wheel/index finger/pawl finger. (Movement hacks electrically but not physically...so only the friction wheel protects the index mechanism). I realised this but too late .
    3. Be diligent in servicing the friction wheel assembly. Probably the chief culprit in killing index wheels/index finger/pawl fingers. I was very careful in handling this but now Realise I did not properly lubricate. After lubricating the friction wheel per the manual and without the tf assembly in place the wheel (ss) still turns when rotated by the crown as there is still mild friction.
    Is that about right? By the way I am using a parts piece to practice this before the real thing.
    When you advance the hands forward, the ss hand should not jump forward...or worse yet move rapidly forward. When lubricating the friction wheel you must be very careful not to deform the friction spring. Use a moly lubricant and I use a small strip of batter cell insulator to apply it between the wheel and the friction disc which is part of the assembly.
    Thanks

NEVER move the hands CCW!!!! on this caliber.
    Do not know CCW but am guessing it says winding counter (anti)clockwise . If so that is one thing I got right.
    Use only Renata batteries in this movement. All other manufacturers have changed the cross-sectional profile of their can and the batteries will short against the negative contact unless you fabricate an additional insulator.
    Used Renata

Link to service bulletin: http://www.timetrafficker.com/about/...air-manual.pdf
    I have that and did follow,almost.

Phasing for silver oxide batteries is covered in same document as Accutrons.

Regards, BG
    So I got it all wrong at the end but have not damaged anything beyond repair.
    straightening that arm will get the heart pumping.
    Really love this hobby .

Last edited by Molliedooker; 1 Day Ago at 05:07.

straightening that arm will get the heart pumping...
    It shouldn't. In fact, caffeine, sugar and adrenaline are your enemies in this...

Remove the tf. Place it on your microscope stage (I actually use a piece of paper on the stage as a "matt"). Use #7 curved tweezers to grasp the spring near the point where you wish to bend...with the tweezer points resting on the stage (to steady the tweezer). Make sure the tweezer is gripping the spring such that the edge is perpendicular to the spring. I use a curved oil pip to then manipulate the section I am bending with the section I to not want to disturb steadied as forementioned. Same procedure on the pawl arm...but mercifully the fixture has less mass, so you are less likely to deform elsewhere. If you do this part right, the only adjustments you will need to make once the tf and pawl adjuster are remounted should be near their bases...which can again be accomplished with the bent-pip-oiler and the tool which you made to manipulate the posts (you did make one, didn't you?).

I have a tremor under the microscope...we all do to varying degrees. You resolve this issue by developing techniques to manage it...

Regards, BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; 20 Minutes Ago at 13:53.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information