Strange problem with the quartz movement
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Strange problem with the quartz movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange problem with the quartz movement

Hello,

there is an old quartz movement that stopped working few years ago. I can not find the name of the manufacturer, but since it is put in a toy (which is by the way very important to my wife), I would say it is some chinese no-name movement.

Although I replaced the old battery and put a new Renata 377, the watch does not work properly. First, it does not work at all. After loosening the screws, the watch starts ticking as it should and the hands start moving. After maybe half an hour, the hands stop moving again, but now I can hear very strange fast ticking (similar to the ticking of a mechanical watch).

I have no idea that is the problem exactly. The last thing would be to replace the whole movement with the one from eBay, but I afraid that I can not find the similar one (the dial and the hands have to stay as they are). I managed to take out the crown, but not sure if it will work with the new quartz movement.

Thanks.

Re: Strange problem with the quartz movement

some pix may helps.
    Like me ! Like me !

Visit my BLOG.

Without images or better information, I would offer that replacement/repair should not be difficult for a competent watchmaker...
    Regards, BG

Hello,

here is the photo I managed to take:

Name:  20171012_173647.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  1.51 MB

Hi blackarrow,
    as you mentioned screws I thought it couldn't be one of the cheapest :-D but now I see that the trainwheelbridge is smelted.
    I'd say loosening the three screws shown is pointing rather to an electrical contact issue than a mechanical issue.

The following is just a suggestion. According to battery size 377 I suggest rather a 6 3/4x8 than a 5 1/2x6 3/4 movement looking a bit like a "swiss parts" movement (Thailand, Phillipines, China etc.) comparable to ETA 802.104 etc

measure, check and compare to images on e.g. startimesupply, esslinger etc:
    - ligne size 6 3/4 x 8''' (15,3x17,8mm)
    - thickness 2,95mm?
    - two or three hands?
    - hands 1,20x0,70x0,20 (btw. same as ETA 2671 )?
    - dial feet position (for 802.104 at a rough estimate 5min and 27min)?
    - nothing written underneath the cell?

In my experience hour and minute hands are identical size for those cheap small movement (eventually not the seconds hand).
    If you are able to solder the feet to the correct position of the dial you could use one of those big colourful plastic watches that come for $2, free international shipping, new battery and silicone strap :-D
    Sometimes they even do not have dial feet but adhesive tape dial stickers.

good luck in finding the one of a hundred

br Klaus

As Klaus says, that looks like an ETA802.104. They're available, but they're horrible movements and massively over-priced compared to better built, cheaper, and more reliable alternatives from non-Swatch Group companies.

Hour and minute hand sizes are the same as (in personal preference order) Miyota 2035, Ronda 763, and Hattori PC21. Seconds hand sizes are different but replacement seconds hands for all of the above are also easily and cheaply available.

Given the application, moving the dial feet to fit is probably over-kill. Assuming you have the plastic casing ring (which is missing in the photo), this is one of those cases where cutting the feet off and using dial spots to attach the dial to an alternative movement is a valid option - it's not like it's going to have to deal with the knocks and bumps that a wristwatch suffers!

In fact, taking any of the above movements and gluing it in with chewing gum would probably still result in a better overall product than that ETA movement :D

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horner View Post
    ... In fact, taking any of the above movements and gluing it in with chewing gum would probably still result in a better overall product than that ETA movement :D
    great, that's a good one. Maybe the reason for not having any brand or reference number on it?

I agree upon the Miyota 2035

Heck-- find a few $1 Valu Village/Goodwill/pawnshop cheap quartz watches that measure just about the right diameter. See if it fits. Then just use the seconds hand from it.

Probably cheaper and faster than sourcing a new one from the web. At this point it is broken, so the worst case is what- the toy clock still does not work?
    And the collection, by age:
    —Seiko SNK805 (green dial), —Seiko SMKM95 (red dial), —Hamilton Pan Europe in blue, —Seiko Alpinist, —Tissot Lady Open Heart, & Burei white skeleton (for my Wife), —Vostok Signal watch (w/ alarm), —Bertucci A-2T (white dial), —HMT Janata, —Certina C-Sport Chrono, orange , —Timex indiglo w/alarm, —Omega Dynamic III (circa 2001), —1990 Vostok Kmandirskie, —Seiko H557 square digital-analog (mine, new in 1984), —Victorinox "ascent", circa 1980, —1971 Timex Marlin (searching for M25 mvmt), —1912 Concord Pocket Watch (w/engraved dial)

Two things that are essential to life are WD 40 and duct tape.
    If it moves and it isn't supposed to, use the duct tape.
    If it doesn't move and it's supposed to use the WD 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Tickalot View Post
    great, that's a good one. Maybe the reason for not having any brand or reference number on it?

I agree upon the Miyota 2035

I'm really not a fan of these cheap ETA movements.

I assume they developed them to try and take on the Japanese in the low / mid-range market but they just got it completely wrong in every respect. Not least being that they charge "Swiss premium" prices for them despite them being sealed lumps of moulded plastic - I've just replaced an 805 in a Tissot (so probably £200+ watch) and the cost price was roughly 9 times what a (reliable, fully repairable, and mostly metal) 2105 would have cost!

I checked it again, it looks like ETA 802.104, but does not have the ETA logo on it. I managed to find the new movement on eBay, however, the stem is much shorter. Not sure if I could buy this new movement and put the old stem in? It is basically the same movement.
    Last edited by blackarrow; 1 Week Ago at 08:38.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information