Thread: stripped caseback screws

stripped caseback screws

hi
    i have an old casio quartz watch whose case-back is held onto the watch with 4 screws. When a younger me attempted to change the battery i stripped 2 of the screws so that for the past couple years the watch has just been a paperweight.
    is there a way of removing these screws and the caseback and maybe finding new screws to replace them?

Thanks

Re: stripped caseback screws

If you can't find replacement screws, you could try to rethread them with a die or screw plate, and then use the non-permanent loctite (blue?) to hold them in until the next battery change. Or maybe just the loctite.

Did you strip the threads or the screwslots?

sorry when i said screws i ment the screw head where the screwdriver goes, its become mangled and wont turn with a screwdriver anymore
    does anyone have any idea where i can get new screws from without paying a fortune?
    sorry not sure what loctite is, havent heard of it before

Loctite is a compound that stops things such as screws shaking loose once tightened hope that helps :)
    He who judge others shall be judged to their own judgement for there in none such as perfection

Quote Originally Posted by drmctroll View Post
    hi
    i have an old casio quartz watch whose case-back is held onto the watch with 4 screws. When a younger me attempted to change the battery i stripped 2 of the screws so that for the past couple years the watch has just been a paperweight.
    is there a way of removing these screws and the caseback and maybe finding new screws to replace them?

Thanks
    If the screws are sunken down into the caseback, then your only option may be to use a small grinding bit (like for a dremel) to carefully grind the heads off. Then once the case back is off hopefully enough of the screws will be protruding so you can grip them with good tweezers and turn them out. If the screws sit above the caseback you could possibly cut some usable slots to remove the screws by using a fine screwhead slitting file (Enco sells Nicholson slitting files, but I am unsure if they would be fine enough for screws this small).

Either way, there is pretty high risk for damaging something here, and the screws should be replaced once they are removed. Depending on your experience and skill level you may want to consider taking it to a watchmaker.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Thread Information