Trouble with dd sapphire for my seiko sumo

Thread: Trouble with dd sapphire for my seiko sumo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trouble with dd sapphire for my seiko sumo

Greetings!

Well I swapped my skx007 crystal for a double domed blue AR sapphire 6 months ago.. All went well... But now I tried doing the same for my seiko sumo and I'm having trouble getting the new sapphire to seat perfectly. I have tried several times with negative results.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    The original gasket was still pristine so I don't think that's an issue. I have not applied any silicone grease to the gasket... Most everything I have read say no grease but of course I have found a few who have advised to lightly grease the gasket.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Re: Trouble with dd sapphire for my seiko sumo

Quote Originally Posted by Derkdiggler View Post
    Greetings!

Well I swapped my skx007 crystal for a double domed blue AR sapphire 6 months ago.. All went well... But now I tried doing the same for my seiko sumo and I'm having trouble getting the new sapphire to seat perfectly. I have tried several times with negative results.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    The original gasket was still pristine so I don't think that's an issue. I have not applied any silicone grease to the gasket... Most everything I have read say no grease but of course I have found a few who have advised to lightly grease the gasket.

The 6 o'clock seams to be where it's not seated as deeply as the 12 o'clock.

Did you measure the crystals and compare?. Also r you using a crystal press to ensure the crystal is seating evenly?

The 6 o'clock seams to be where it's not seated as deeply as the 12 o'clock.

Agreed, when you go to use the glass press move the watch in different positions over the bottom die to ensure all sides of the glass are evenly pressed into the gasket. It may also help to remove the bezel to better see the alignment.
    Last edited by matt1415; January 22nd, 2017 at 19:45.

I ended up ordering the crystal from crystal times and it was the one for the sumo. I lined up the original with the new after I removed the original.. Everything appeared good to go.

I am using a press and have been rotating as I go. I just know how much pressure to apply... I probably looked like I was diffusing a bomb or something. I was sweating and stressed that I was going to screw up my sumo. Lol. Only the second time I have had the caseback and movement out of my seiko divers.

I it will probably be hard to convey but how much pressure should I be applying?

Ohhhhh, and thanks for the responses.

I ended up ordering the crystal from crystal times and it was the one for the sumo. I lined up the original with the new after I removed the original.. Everything appeared good to go.

I am using a press and have been rotating as I go. I just know how much pressure to apply... I probably looked like I was diffusing a bomb or something. I was sweating and stressed that I was going to screw up my sumo. Lol. Only the second time I have had the caseback and movement out of my seiko divers.

I it will probably be hard to convey but how much pressure should I be applying?

I belive it depends on the type of crystal as well as the press. I've never broken an original seiko crystal in my press, there usually pretty thick for the divers but I don't know what the aftermarket is like. Your probably applying too little pressure is my guess, make sure your die sits on the very edge of the glass and try giving it some more pressure.

Don't know if this will be of any help to you but this guy's good

https://youtu.be/eiPX1I7hh1E
    Last edited by matt1415; January 22nd, 2017 at 22:24.

Thanks for all the help. As it turns out, I'm a huge whimp and apparently I wasn't pressing hard enough. So the good news is that it made it in... Bad news is that I decided I like the stock crystal better.

I purchased a double domed blue AR sapphire from Crystal times. The sapphire looks great but for some reason it tended to double the reflections and it darkened the blue dial (blumo) just enough to make it appear almost black. I'm assuming because of the blue AR.

This was a total surprise because a double domed blue AR sapphire in my skx turned out wonderful. They were 2 different manufacturers though. Ohhhhh well, Back to more research.

Thanks for all the help. As it turns out, I'm a huge whimp and apparently I wasn't pressing hard enough. . . .
    This is the place for a soft touch.

Mineral glass is noticeably tougher (more flexible) than sapphire.

Nice thread...Any pics of the final result?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information