Very simple question regarding Ultrasonic cleaning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hoakin1981

Thread: Very simple question regarding Ultrasonic cleaning

Very simple question regarding Ultrasonic cleaning

Hi to all. I just got an older Citizen which badly needs some serious cleaning. So my question is, can I put the case in the ultrasonic cleaner with the crystal attached??

Reason I am asking is because If i manage to remove the crystal without breaking it using my crystal press i am not sure if I will be able to put it back on. I do not have one of those crystal lift tools.

So I was thinking of putting the case by itself alone in the cleaner to avoid contact with other parts and leave the crystal on.

Can I do that?

Thank you.

Re: Very simple question regarding Ultrasonic cleaning

Pics.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Pics.
    If you need photos I am sorry but I do not have the right yet to post any pictures, not even links in order to re-direct to an external site...

I had that question as well, however, I would think that the micro vibration might loosen the seal around the bezel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jdrichard View Post
    I had that question as well, however, I would think that the micro vibration might loosen the seal around the bezel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There is no bezel. It is an older model with a steel bracelet, think Seiko 5

Ultrasonic cleaning should not loosen a friction fit crystal. If the crystal is acrylic, choose a cleaning solution which does not affect the plastic. If the crystal is glued in with other than UV (cyanoacrylate based) cement...it will probably come out during us cleaning. Then there is the matter of case material...plating (if any and thickness)...condition.
    Choice of solutions...my favorite is aqua regia...thoroughly dissolves EVERYTHING... (just kidding...you don't want to use aqua regia for anything unless you are trained in its use and have a suitable environment and materials for handling and disposal).

Without further information, no one can really answer your question. Post the complete Citizen reference number...
    Regards, BG

Quote Originally Posted by BenchGuy View Post
    Ultrasonic cleaning should not loosen a friction fit crystal. If the crystal is acrylic, choose a cleaning solution which does not affect the plastic. If the crystal is glued in with other than UV (cyanoacrylate based) cement...it will probably come out during us cleaning. Then there is the matter of case material...plating (if any and thickness)...condition.
    Choice of solutions...my favorite is aqua regia...thoroughly dissolves EVERYTHING... (just kidding...you don't want to use aqua regia for anything unless you are trained in its use and have a suitable environment and materials for handling and disposal).

Without further information, no one can really answer your question. Post the complete Citizen reference number...
    Regards, BG
    Thanks for the input. The Citizen reference is 4-063139 K, if you Google it the first watch you will see is similar but with a different kind of bracelet which is not the issue anyway.

As for the solution I plan on using, nothing fancy. Either cooking soda or dish soap.
    jdrichard likes this.

Thread Information