Vostok parts questions
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vostok parts questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vostok parts questions

Hi,

I bought recently a Vostok Komandirskie Cadet/Mini/Junior. It's a nice little watch but its crystal is quite badly scratched. I have searched through the Bay and other sources, but seem to find replacement crystals only for the bigger Komandirskies. Is there any possibility to find a new original crystal for this small model (glass diameter is about 25.7 mm)?
    Or could some generic tension ring crystal be suitable for this? I guess not, as the edge of this original crystal is quite high, about 3 mm, so any crystal with a lower edge will sink too deep in the bezel, wich will look stupid. Any ideas?

And then another thing... I'm ashamed to say, but during servicing this 2409 movement I managed to lose the balance shock spring (don't know when or how, but the damn spring is not on the parts tray where it should be.).
    Where can I find a new one? Cousins sells this assortment of 25 shockproof springs: www.cousinsuk.com/product/shockproof-springs-wristwatch which seems to include some springs of the correct type. Could these be OK? Or would it be better to try to find some "sold for spare parts" movement or a set of movements like this one: VOSTOK Movement Watches WOSTOK Mechanisms Watches 52 | eBay ? That way I would at least be sure that the spring is perfectly correct for this movement, and would also have a nice bunch of other spare parts for future replacements. Do you think this would be a better plan than the generic spring assortment?

Thanks a lot for any help!

J

Name:  Cadet1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  93.8 KB

Re: Vostok parts questions

Ok, to start with the crystal.

What is currently fitted? Plastic, mineral glass?, mineral glass with tension ring?

From what you said I assume it's plastic? Why not either polish it or just replace it with a generic crystal?
    If the height is 3mm then I doubt a mineral glass is available that thick.

Regarding the shock spring, what type is it? Inca, trior or the type that other Russian watches use, like inca but not fixed at one end. Not sure of the correct name for them.
    I'd have a really good hunt with a magnet and try to find it. I noticed a selection of shock springs in eBay uk the other day which looked as if they may be handy.
    But, a scrap movement never goes amiss if it's cheap enough.
    How about a picture of the movement and a close up of the balance cock Jewel hole?

Snake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    pithy and jsavis like this.

Just to clarify the Russian inca type shock, when I said it's not fixed at one end, I mean not permanently fixed. With Inca, one end is fixed in but allows the spring to hinge up. With the Russian type you have to fit one end in the spring the other end in place.
    Can be a bit fiddly.
    Snake

pithy and jsavis like this.

Thanks Snake, and sorry for not being precise enough in my first post.

The crystal: yes, it's plastic. It has one dent so deep that it will require serious sanding before polishing, which will somewhat affect the dome shape. I will leave that as the last option, if all else fails.
    About fitting a generic acrylic crystal... I don't have much experience with many different crystal types and brands, so far I have only bought Sternkreuz ones (ATC and ATCH) and they have much lower stright edge than this Vostok crystal. I just don't believe it will look nice and right if the crystal edge is much lower than the bezel edge, leaving some of the inside surface of the bezel visible. But if anyone knows some generic tension ring crystal type that does have a high edge (min. 3 mm), please tell me.
    I have also sent a message to two Vostok sellers on eBay (zenitar and asap31) asking about an original replacememt crystal, but have not received replies yet.

The shock spring: I'm not at home now so I can't take photos, but below is a picture of a similar 2409, from christophlorenz's web site. So I believe this shock protection is called Trishock type, right?

Name:  Vostok_2409.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  130.3 KB

Yes, it can be confusing given the number of different types of crystal.
    What you likely need is a high dome crystal.
    Go to the cousins website and down load the Sternkrauz PDFs.
    I'd take the old crystal it, measure it carefully and find an equivalent unless you want total originality

Yeah, those shocks are little buggers! Fiddly to refit without the right tool, although I have had some success with Kif fitting tools.
    I'd get a selection pack as you may need more than one😁

snake

Thanks again Snake,

Yes, the Sternkreuz catalog is very comprehensive, but the difficult thing in it is that although it gives exact dimensions and profile images for all the Special Form crystals, it doesn't give any such information for the basic form crystals, like HW, ATCH and so on.

However, I think I might have found what I need, the
    Sternkreuz ATCT, especially meant for divers watches. Again, the Sternkreuz catalog doesn't help at all when trying to find out the profile of this glass type, but I found a very good photo of it from another watch forum. In the image below I have put this found photo (right) beside a photo of my Vostok glass (left) and scaled them so that the sizes (315 and 257) should be quite correct relative to each other. Judging from this compiled image I would say that although Sternkreuz's dome is somewhat higher, the edge hight seems to be quite fine for my need. I guess I have to buy one and try.

Name:  IMG_1289.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  51.0 KB

Ahhh, I see, it has a square deep edge. Now, if you had posted that picture in your first post.....!
    Trial and error then. I guess they're not too expnsove.

Good luck,
    Snake

Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    . . . Now, if you had posted that picture in your first post. . . .
    doh.

When are you going to invest in the requisite BurgerOne shop equipment necessary to fully participate in forum diagnosis?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    Now, if you had posted that picture in your first post.....!
    Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    doh.

When are you going to invest in the requisite BurgerOne shop equipment necessary to fully participate in forum diagnosis?

Well, just a little update to the Vostok crystal issue: I got a reply from the eBay seller zenitar/Victor, and it turned out that the small Komandirskie is still in production (not exactly this same case model, but the size should be identical), and a new original crystal can be bought from him! Which I of course did immediately.
    The only a bit odd thing is that the new glass doesn't come with the tension ring, so it must be taken from the old glass and fitted in the new one. I can only hope that the dimensions of this model have remained exactly the same over the years, so that the old ring wil fit the new glass, and the new glass in the old case...

Great guy this zenitar/Victor. Extremely helpful, as I have afterwards read from many other threads too.
    Last edited by jsavis; November 12th, 2015 at 20:41.

Favinov is also very good. Glad you got your Crystal!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information