Waltham Lathe
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Outta Time

Thread: Waltham Lathe

Waltham Lathe

This is for all you Waltham experts out there, a bit of the factory history. I recently acquired a Waltham Lathe complete with many accessories, including the cutter and threader to do case threads. It has a full set of collets and a variety of chucks. I'm guessing that it is from the early twentieth century? Maybe around 1920, but I'm not sure how to go about confirming this. I have included a few pics here, and if anyone recognizes this, I'd be grateful for any information. It currently is in use in my shop, and I have to say it is one of the best lathes I have ever worked with. I haven't tried anything really tiny on it, but the collets go right down to the smallest watchmaking sizes.
    Anyway, here she is, enjoy!

Name:  Walthamlathe1.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  2.18 MB

Name:  Walthamlathe2.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  Walthamlathe3.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  1.51 MB
    JP71624, nauz and Dadistic like this.

Waltham Lathe

Machine Porrn. Just beautiful!

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    Last edited by webicons; June 14th, 2017 at 19:28.

Re: Waltham Lathe

You should post it at Practical Machinist (.com) in the antique machine section. There are some guys there who know a lot about these machines.

Out of curiosity would you measure the collet body diameter and thread pitch?

Mmm that is a beautiful machine...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The collet body is just under 15mm, not sure what that would be in inches, the caliper says .590''. Pitch is 20 according to my American pitch gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    The collet body is just under 15mm, not sure what that would be in inches, the caliper says .590''. Pitch is 20 according to my American pitch gauge.
    Thanks- the story I've heard is AWT's lathe design was essentially copied by Schaublin some years later as the 102 and 90 models. The thread on their w20 collets is 1.667mm, which is pretty weird, and equals 15.24tpi which is the same as some AWT collets (and is also really weird in inch). But the AWT collets were 19mm, Schaublin 20mm. I always wondered if AWT actually made any in 20mm and if they came before or after Schaublin started their version.

Really nice machine there.

Wonderful machine! I do love a good plain turning lathe. :)

I believe there is quite a difference between the Waltham lathes and the American Watch Tool Co. lathes. AWT / Derbyshire have threaded spindle nose, and the large end of the headstock cone pulley toward the rear of the headstock. The Waltham lathes did not come with a threaded spindle nose (though I suppose it's possible they could have been special ordered with spindle nose threads), and have the large end of the headstock cone pulley toward the front of the headstock (which is unusual for precision bench lathes). If you are looking for information online, make sure you're looking for info on American Watch Tool Co. machines, and not Waltham machines.

The Derbyshire page over at Tony Griffiths' site also covers the AWTCo. machines: Derbyshire & Webster Whitcombe Watcmakers' Lathes

As far as collets... what you have shown in the photos there, and the dimensions you give, certainly seem quite different from the w20 collets. I've gone over all the collet dimension charts I can find, and cannot find anything that matches that body diameter and thread pitch. You may want to get in touch with Tony (from the site above) to see if he can help you identify the collets and the age of the machine.

Beautiful machine, thanks for sharing it with us!
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks for the info everybody! I'll see what I can find at the link you gave.

Thread Information