A Watchmaker's Library - Page 4
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: A Watchmaker's Library

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: A Watchmaker's Library

And while I am at it, I use this every 9 out of 10 or so watch services.

The GR mainspring catalogue:

Last edited by trim; November 21st, 2013 at 10:16.
    goatscapeable likes this.

Have not seen this before. What about it works for you? Where does one attain the catalog? Have any pictures of the table of contents?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Since we are derailing and I guess that nowadays libraries have more than books.

<a href="http://youtu.be/MS_G8Vm1gyQ" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Yes, I agree. The library in the US is no longer only about books. All types of information sources may be found at the most quaint of libraries. Cds, dvds, computers, and tapes to name some of them. Any source of information should be included in a Library for Watchmakers in my opinion.

For the person that is not familiar with Mr. Smith, he was the protege of George Daniels and is very accomplished in his own right.

Engine turning is the means of applying the guilloche. Zuzudaddy is apparently the resident expert and offered a book in a previous page on the subject by an author Matthews.
    Last edited by dacattoo; November 21st, 2013 at 15:10.

OK back on the rails :). This is my favorite book on watch adjusting. This guy is a master for sure. If your looking to understand the effects of timing, balance composition, temperature compensation, poising, all things related to hairsprings, and positional error. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better book in my opinion.

Name:  IMG_4216.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4217.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4218.JPG
Views: 1046
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4219.JPG
Views: 1033
Size:  81.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dacattoo View Post
    Have not seen this before. What about it works for you? Where does one attain the catalog? Have any pictures of the table of contents?
    Can you please clarify which book you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Can you please clarify which book you are talking about.
    Sorry, I was referring your entry, GR2 mainspring catalog.

The GR catalogue is about 16500 calibre's worth of mainspring entries, including specifications - indexed by calibre. The second half is interchange information. What makes it useful is its completeness and of course finding generics to match the watch in hand. It is Swiss, so I can't recall how much US stuff is in there, but tend to use Marshall for those anyway.

I've seen then on ebay, the company is still trading, and I think they still print these. I was last offered one for free in Biel, which I wish I had accepted as mine is suffering in the binding and is a bit old.

The next reading suggestion is one I alluded to when posting the first book to the "Watchmaker's Library", Longitude. Recall John Harrison's efforts took place the the early 17 hundreds. Fast forward a couple of centuries to meet a British Naval Officer on board one of Her Majesties ships. The gentleman is transferred to a desk job and upon exploring his office discovers several boxes stashed in the closet. Further examination reveals these are H1, H2, H3 and H4. So begins a lifetime journey of restoration of the Harrison timepieces which reside and are running today at the Maritime Museum in London. I can personally recommend a visit. This is not only historical but author Betts weaves a wonderful story around the man than knows (almost) everything. Thank you Rupert Gould for your service to our craft. 400 plus pages with many photos. Recommend reading Longitude first.

Name:  DSC00186.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  133.2 KBName:  DSC00190.JPG
Views: 979
Size:  137.4 KBName:  DSC00191.JPG
Views: 975
Size:  128.0 KBName:  DSC00188.JPG
Views: 970
Size:  129.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by dacattoo; November 25th, 2013 at 19:05.

I've just recently started Watchmaking.. so i consider myself an absolute beginner.. but!.. i did purchase some books..

the one i most frequently pick up, is this one:
    Name:  DSC_0828.JPG
Views: 993
Size:  147.3 KB

I don't know if it is available in english, but.. being dutch.. i don't mind reading German..
    Good points: clear pictures, good descriptions
    throughout the book, all reparations are described in chronological order.. from opening the case, and taking out the movement, to examining the parts, refurbishing, and putting back together.. with adjusting in the final chapter.. not a really thick book.. but that makes it more like a book you will pick up easy.. because it does'nt look that intimidating..
    dacattoo and goatscapeable like this.

Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology with French, English, German and Spanish equivilents - the de facto standard for translations. Not perfect but since the online version is free - a best value. The limitations are obvious - you'll have to search (dig) for some of the nomenclature as certain terms are grouped (and not individually indexed) and most descriptions aren't presented in depth but since we have a large non-English-first-language contingent [who by the way - make the forum much more interesting/better] this should be saved as a favorite on everyone's computer.

"In 1961, the Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology, compiled by G.-A. Berner and published by the Société du Journal La Suisse Horlogère SA, was offered to the Swiss watch industry and its clients around the world.

Published in French, German, English and Spanish, containing more than four thousand terms and richly illustrated, the Berner dictionary as it is most commonly known today quickly became an indispensable tool for manufacturers, importers and distributors on all five continents.

Growth of the clock and watch industry over the decades saw the publication in 1995 of a supplement catering in particular for the advent of electronics in the watch industry at the end of the 1960s. Thanks to the valuable support of numerous experts, all of whom gave freely of their time, around a thousand terms and their translations were added as a supplement to the original work.

The electronic version available here includes all definitions, translations and illustrations together with navigation tools such as hypertext links and semi-automatic entries.

The consolidated version of the dictionary and its supplement is of course available in a paper version. It can be ordered from our online shop.

© Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry FH 1961 - 2013"

Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology
    Attached Images Attached Images

"PLEASE NOTE: No watchmakers were maimed during this filming." Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information