A Watchmaker's Library - Page 5
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: A Watchmaker's Library

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: A Watchmaker's Library

All this time I thought you were fluent in nine languages!

The online version is gonna' be very appreciated. I already see a vast number of French, German and Spanish words popping up in forums through out WUS land.
    Muchas gracias, Herr pithy.

It was mentioned in this topic that a library is not solely about books.. i agree.. but i forgot..:)

Youtube is a nice source of information.. just search for "Steffen Pahlow", a german watchmaker, with a passion for Tourbillons...

I found this book packed with useful information.

Name:  1471946_10152067620055196_2143744094_n.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  134.4 KB
    goatscapeable likes this.

I have taken the liberty of reposting Pithy's list of suppliers from another thread, hope that is okay. Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness that ask for permission. Anyway, this is a fairly comprehensive list and represents some work on his part so thank you Pithy.
    This lists most of the suppliers in North America for horological supplies and parts. If you have sources not on the list please feel free to add them.

goatscapeable and soopad00pa like this.

I'll post a few more but these are good .
    Name:  DSCF1351.JPG
Views: 988
Size:  197.7 KB
    pithy, dacattoo and goatscapeable like this.

I have seen the de Carle and Kelly books, both good. I am not familiar with Catalogue Officiel. Could you speak a little about it, vintage, where you found it, maybe some pictures of a couple of pages. thanx, Michael

We seem to be on a tangent taking us to watchmaking in languages other than English. I almost said "foreign languages" but quickly back tracked when I had the sudden realization that they were only foreign to me. Indeed, I had the a similar epiphany about 6 years ago standing in the library of Antonin Simone in Neuchatel. Perusing the shelves I realized most of the books were in a language other than English. Here is an example of a work originally written in French in 1861. Translated into English about 1867, this treatise is at first glance is an academic endeavor best used for falling to sleep by the fire. The author's preface sets one straight right off the bat that "such information , as well as practical results thoroughly established by experiment within the reach of manufacturers and all others interested in the subject" should be placed within the reach of watchmakers.
    This is oldest reference I recall referring to watchmaking as an art rather than a science. If so, then this may be one of the art's greatest achievements. "Treatise on Modern Horology in Theory and Practice" by author and director of the school of horology at Macon, Claudius Saunier. My copy, an English translation by Julien Tripplin and Edward Rigg in 1877. Original wood block and copper plate illustrations.

Name:  DSC00282.JPG
Views: 945
Size:  133.2 KBName:  DSC00283.JPG
Views: 940
Size:  126.9 KBName:  DSC00285.JPG
Size:  131.3 KBName:  DSC00286.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  129.7 KBName:  DSC00287.JPG
Size:  139.4 KBName:  DSC00288.JPG
Size:  140.9 KBName:  DSC00289.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  136.1 KB

One might think this would be like reading about Model T's. One will soon realize horology was very similar then as it is today. Also note that the subject matter was invented long before Saunier wrote about it in 1861.

Name:  Copy of DSCN0141.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  134.5 KB

My wife and I having a wonderful visit with Antoine Simone at Wostep Headquarters in his library, Neuchatel, Switzerland.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paleotime and goatscapeable like this.

On the subject of hairsprings and adjusting I have found two titles interesting...

1) Practical Course in Adjusting by Theo. Gribi (1901)
    2) Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches by Walter Kleinlein (1920)

Both discuss experiments and experience related to the adjustment of hairsprings. Gribi is primarily concerned with adjusting in relation is isochronism. Kleinlein discusses mainly aspects related to rating a watch to positions. (As I recall, it has been a little while...).

Both books are available as free ebooks from google books.
    dacattoo, phoobo and goatscapeable like this.

My wife and I having a wonderful visit with Antoine Simone at Wostep Headquarters in his library, Neuchatel, Switzerland.
    That must have been a great trip !! I haven't seen Simone in years he looks great !!! He is a special man .

I saw him last year and he was looking great considering the years

br
    emso

p.s: sent from my s****y phone so sorry for typing mistakes
    Experience on watch movements repair:

modern swiss movements: 5
    japan movements: 3
    older movements: 2
    chinese movements: 0

According to above experience grades(smallest 0-5 highest) my advice can be incorect or completely out of mind, so beware and take my advices with caution if the grade is low!!!
    Hidden Content
    NOT FOR SALE !!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information