A Watchmaker's Library - Page 6
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: A Watchmaker's Library

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: A Watchmaker's Library

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    On the subject of hairsprings and adjusting I have found two titles interesting...

1) Practical Course in Adjusting by Theo. Gribi (1901)
    2) Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches by Walter Kleinlein (1920)

Both discuss experiments and experience related to the adjustment of hairsprings. Gribi is primarily concerned with adjusting in relation is isochronism. Kleinlein discusses mainly aspects related to rating a watch to positions. (As I recall, it has been a little while...).

Both books are available as free ebooks from google books.
    Never thought I would see a reference to Theopolis Gribi, in this thread. I have an original copy of his book and also a watch that he made. One of my favorites from the past.
    phoobo likes this.

Never thought I would see a reference to Theopolis Gribi, in this thread. I have an original copy of his book and also a watch that he made. One of my favorites from the past.
    I was really impressed with the ingenuity of his experiments, and by the years of dedication that it clearly took to reach his conclusions. Reading it also taught me a lot.

I bet the watch he made is a real beauty...
    dacattoo likes this.

Gribi is new to me so I was surfing for information and discovered something that appears very valuable. It is a collection of watchmaking books numbering in the hundreds, 545 so far, that can be read on line. And in several languages. the website is HathiTrust Digital Library | Millions of books online

The home page describes it as thus: HathiTrust is a partnership of academic & research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world.

Enter 'watchmaking' in the search box and enter their library. Wow is how I would describe it.
    goatscapeable likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dacattoo View Post
    Gribi is new to me so I was surfing for information and discovered something that appears very valuable. It is a collection of watchmaking books numbering in the hundreds, 545 so far, that can be read on line. And in several languages. the website is HathiTrust Digital Library | Millions of books online The home page describes it as thus: HathiTrust is a partnership of academic & research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world. Enter 'watchmaking' in the search box and enter their library. Wow is how I would describe it.
    Nice find. Probably your best contribution to the forum in the last fifteen minutes.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

If your trying to hurt my feelings it's working. I am out of here. For 15 minutes. Maybe ten. Aw heck, who am I kidding. I am here for the duration. Self flagellation, not just for Woody Allen movies.

I am curious how this became a sticky?

I reported this thread to the Mod team stating that I felt it should be a sticky. I may not have been the only one to do such.
    Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
    Groucho Marx

thanx mate

I tried to download the Gribi book from the source specified above (hathitrust) and found they wouldn't let me, even though the book is in the public domain. Google books on the other hand will let you download their version of the scan:
    Google Books

Practical Course in Adjusting: Comprising a Review of the Laws Governing the ... - Theophilus Gribi - Google Books

Hands down the best introduction to watches I have read, and probably one of the few written in the last 50 years. lol

Amateur Watchmaking by Per Torphammar

Name:  framsida_klar.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  128.7 KBName:  baksida_klar.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  170.8 KB
    Last edited by Halda; January 15th, 2014 at 10:52.
    dacattoo and goatscapeable like this.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information