What causes a chonograph hand not to reset at 0

Thread: What causes a chonograph hand not to reset at 0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What causes a chonograph hand not to reset at 0

I'm having some issues with the stopwatch function on this citizen chrono. I find it works and resets perfectly if used for the duration of a few hours but when used for the full 12 hours the second hand does not always reset at 0. I know you can adjust the position of this hand but it's just a pain to keep having to do this. Any ideas what is causing this to happen?

Re: What causes a chonograph hand not to reset at 0

Has this forum really died down or have I depleted all my watchmaking questions for the year?

Ha, ha! Im assuming its a mechanical chrono, and by second hand you mean the chrono hand?
    If so, in my limited experience of chronos, mainly landerons, its generally due to the hammer not pushing the heart on the end of the chrono hand arbor. In essence it needs a service and adjust.

Of course, yours maybe completely different! How about a picture of its innards?

Be aware, they are generally not the easiest things in the world to service....

Snake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    Ha, ha! Im assuming its a mechanical chrono, and by second hand you mean the chrono hand?
    If so, in my limited experience of chronos, mainly landerons, its generally due to the hammer not pushing the heart on the end of the chrono hand arbor. In essence it needs a service and adjust.

Of course, yours maybe completely different! How about a picture of its innards?

Be aware, they are generally not the easiest things in the world to service....

Snake

Quartz unfortunately, belive me I wish it was mechanical. The second hand I'm talking about is the one that shows the stopwatch seconds. I just put new gaskets all around so I can't re-open it or else I'll have to replace the caseback one again, stupid on my part for sealing it up so soon. I'll post a pic of the same movement but from a different watch I just worked on

Ahh, sorry but my knowledge of quartz is very limited. But i think quartz chronos have multiple stepper motors so it is likely that it loses its position after while. So could be as simple as a service....

Reassembly after servicing it may be a little "challenging"!!

@OP
    What caliber? Did you work on the movement?...if so, what service did you perform? Have you used the troubleshooting flow chart for the caliber? What is the battery output? What are the current draws?
    You are likely going to have to re-open the case...have another gasket?...open without damaging new one you just installed?
    Regards, BG

Quote Originally Posted by BenchGuy View Post
    @OP
    What caliber? Did you work on the movement?...if so, what service did you perform? Have you used the troubleshooting flow chart for the caliber? What is the battery output? What are the current draws?
    You are likely going to have to re-open the case...have another gasket?...open without damaging new one you just installed?
    Regards, BG
    Where might one find this troubleshooting flow chart?

If you did rearrange the gears you probably twisted one of vs. the handtrains reference ( if the hand returns every time to the same position ( which is not 12 00))

on some quartz chronos there is the possibility to readjust the single hands by specific pusher combinations ( refer the manual for this)

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMind View Post
    If you did rearrange the gears you probably twisted one of vs. the handtrains reference ( if the hand returns every time to the same position ( which is not 12 00))

on some quartz chronos there is the possibility to readjust the single hands by specific pusher combinations ( refer the manual for this)
    The movement was never fully disassembled, I took It out of the case to replace the crystal and when re-installed I oiled the visible drive gears pinions as well as the stem. When reset normally with the button the hand always returns to its normal position at the 12:00. I had to calibrate this with the buttons of course after the battery change. The problem is very sparatic and seems to only happen when the chrono resets itself after 12 hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information