WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 11
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Laughing Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Remember to leave some work for Seattle!

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Bumpy bumpy, whats happening all?

Would the watch like to come and see some of the sites in New Mexico?....

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

All: Sorry for the delay, but this will be updated shortly. The watch arrived just in front of some vacation, and then I was on the road for business, but the watch got some attention and will be off to the next host in a few days.

I'd like to host the watch here in the UK :)

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

All:

The watch has been packaged back up and is now en route to it's next destination, a place of birds that soar, and also those that are flightless.

I'm somewhat dissapointed: I spent a total of 11 hours paining a custom dial for this watch by hand, and while it may not be of Angular Momentum quality enamelling, it turned out quite nice. The problem is that it contains some raised texture to it, and I could not set the hands back on - there was not sufficient clearance for them to move properly. I checked my boneyard, and I do not have any 2824-sized hands that will work, and I do not have any wheels with higher pinions, so I put the original dial back on and re-set the original hands. I can source the wheels I would need to allow the hands to float higher, but I've already had the watch for too long and did not want to hold this tour up any longer. This dial HAS to make it onto the watch, so the options are this:

1. I source the wheels I need, and then wait until the watch can come back to my shop. This will take some time, as there is a long list of those that want to host, and obviously priority goes to those that have not yet had it.
    2. Someone else sources the wheels ahead of being a host, and I will send them the dial so they can put it on as part of their stay before sending it on. I think this is the best option, as it will put the dial into play much sooner.

Regardless, I also hand-made a new strap for it, and put it on a gold-colour deployment to match the rest of the casing.

If I had more time with it, I would have looked into the following things that I think will make a positive impact:

1. see what is under the gold plating, and if sufficient, take the case to my friends cabinet and sandblast the plating off (it is in rough shape) to give it a nicer steel colour, and then give it some big crown action.
    2. if there is nothing useable under the plating, just re-case the movement into something nicer. Considering the nature of this tour, I think it would be nice to keep the compass needle aspect, although it is still not working properly. I did not look into fixing that at all, I'm not sure what would be involved there.
    3. source a new snap back that has glass on it for movement viewing (highly unlikely, but you never know), or mill most of the existing back off, keeping a proper lip in place so that a crystal can be set into it for the same purpose.
    4. assuming #3 worked out, have the rotor engraved with something cheeky, that fits the nature of this tour.

That's my $0.02.

Here I am with it in my office. It runs like a top, and over 72 hours I can see that it has gained approx 1.5 seconds - pretty awesome considering all the time it spends banging around in postal sorting facilities.

Name:  wusf6 brick.jpg
Views: 5140
Size:  355.1 KB

I almost hate to say it, but it wears too small for me. It's 40mm (ish), so that probably sounds silly, but I think the stark contrast between the compass bezel and the white face make it look smaller than it really is.

Anyway, in this age, 40mm is a size also worn by women. I had a friend over for dinner, so I asked her to try it on. She normally wears a vintage Cartier Vermeil, which is only about 25mm.

Name:  her wusf6.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  51.6 KB

She couldn't give it back to me fast enough (she's wearing a strapless sundress deal, don't worry mods). I guess the leap from 25mm to 40mm is a big one, and she has tiny wrists. Plus, she claims to "hate" my double-double-double strap, saying it is too thick and bulky. Whatever.

I also wore the watch to a Blue jays game and have a picture of it with the game in the backgound, but my camera won't seem to let me take those off of the SD right now. I'm still working on it and will update this again when it plays fair.
    Last edited by Biased&Critical; September 9th, 2011 at 17:12.

Hi all,

I think I'm next on the list and could not be more excited for it's arrival. I'll admit, however, that I am feeling a bit intimidated by the venture. What can I, a mere amateur, bring to the table with this watch? Thankfully it sounds as though the movement is running strong; I do have a spare 2824 sitting around if something needs replaced. I also have a brand new SS watch case that will fit the movement, unfortunately it does not have a bezel. What does everybody think? Maybe I could give it a try, take a pic, and take a vote?

Biased&Critical: I have a spare set of 2824 hands that we could try with your dial. I'm sorry to say they are rather plain, but it may be worth a shot. Or perhaps the spare 2824 movement I have has longer wheels that would work? Either way, I suggest sending the dial. If I can't do anything, I will send everything off to the next recipient.

Also, I like the idea on engraving the rotor. What does everyone think? What should it say?

Banned

No real rules, Mike - no one else asked for permission to do anything, and you are not responsible for it either. If you have the right equipment and expertise to engrave the rotor, then that would be an awesome addition.

I already posted the watch without the new dial. Let's see what you have, and if a fit looks possible, I'll xpress the dial to you for fitting. The current case is pretty small, so make sure the hands you have (plain or not) fit before we make any arrangements. If the 2824 you have is just a normal, run-of-the-mill deal, chances are it will have the same wheels/pinions already present, but we'll see soon I guess.

Good luck,

hi! im looking forward to welcome the watch in austria one day :) just thinking about some great modifications for the watch ;)

I like that hand made strap biased & critical, it goes with the watch well. I dont think there is alot of people out there with the know how to makes straps these days.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information