WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 19
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

A little travel log update:

The Tour Watch was sent from beautiful Bad Ischl, Austria to Switzerland where Customs (EZV or "Zoll") personnel in Urdorf wanted to take a closer look at it. With the assistance of the Austrian and Swiss Posts, EZV and our Tour Hosts, a revised customs declaration was submitted and the Watch was ultimately delivered to Grenchen (via Penthalaz). Incredibly enough, much of the communication related to and ultimately submission of the declaration, was transacted by email. Zoll and both Posts responded quickly. There is much to be learned from the efficiency and courtesy of these three agencies.

“Swizz”, the Grenchen Tour Host, and his colleagues are preparing for tests next week at Zeit Zentrum, a preeminent watchmaking school also located in Grenchen. The following message was recieved Tuesday from Stefan (“Swizz”):

“Hey Xxxxxx, my friends Lenny Xxxxxxx, Simon Xx-xxxxx and Cedric Xxxx will help me with the watch. They are in the same watchmaker’s school. Can we make some modifications like a glass bottom?”

Swizz was of course informed that the Tour has no rules and that he (and they) would have to rely on there own discretion and expertise. There has been some previous discussion about this same proposed modification. The concern has been that since the caseback is relatively thin that it might be challenging to cut a substantial enough relief (or step) in it to support the crystal.

Did anyone ever mic the thickness of the caseback? There are a few obvious “work arounds” for this consideration including the addition of another piece of metal to the caseback or even fabricating a new one that would have provision for a crystal in its design.

pithy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Well Pithy my friend, they should try to make a new one. If they are in school they are over under a watchful eye and should have the equipment. But I would say no to the Mod.

I'm looking forward to hosting the watch in Albion, Michigan. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMainspring View Post
    Well Pithy my friend, they should try to make a new one. If they are in school they are over under a watchful eye and should have the equipment. But I would say no to the Mod.
    Whatever the Grenchen crew elects to do - I'm sure it will be just wonderful!

Grenchen - RustyMainspring is the JC in the FB message - so you can have him prepare any tooling or dies required if you guys choose to "stamp" a new back since he seems to like the idea!

pithy

Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hello guys. If there is something special about this watch is that the hardware has been around all the world. I believe mods are ok only if they improve (clockwork part replacement, dial hands replacement, etc.) the functionality of the watch, preserving the core of it (mechanics, casing, dial, etc.). If extensive modding is performed, ie, replacing the case, would kill a big part of the history of the watch. Would be like replacing Mona Lisa's face with a Katy Perry one :P

If you are still seeking a host, then I'd like to volunteer.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Romers View Post
    If you are still seeking a host, then I'd like to volunteer.
    Sir, you are already entered in the pending schedule. Please check your communications and thanks once again your gracious hosting of the official WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour thread.

p

Incredibly enough, from today's issue of the "Grenchener Tagblatt" (Google translation - but you get the idea):

---------------------------------------

"Watchmaker from Grenchen apprentices granted

There were three prizes at the watchmaker Cartier Grenchen competition for the leisure center[Zeit Zentrum]. Stefan Kuhn from Grenchen has won a trip to New York. By Andreas Toggweiler

The Nobel Cartier watch brand since 1993, directed an annual competition for young watchmakers from where each 75-85 "trainees" of the third academic year participate. Also, the center of Grenchen Time [Zeit Zentrum] regularly takes part in the competition, which is primarily concerned with the creative aspects of the watchmaker's craft. "In the last six years we were represented four times in the top three ranks, winning twice the prize of the original work," says center-time Rector Daniel Wegmüller not without pride.

Pocket embellished

"Wrapped" it has solid this year, with three ranked participants of the time center [Zeit Zentrum], including the grand prize. It was won by Stefan Kuhn(20) from Grenchen, with a metal spider with moving legs. This must, however, including "Drive" on a clock face court found: "Making an animation (machine) on the dial side of the factory 6497 (a pocket watch, ed), by replacing the existing time-setting system is used," it says in the formulation of the competition. Here are the original creation, quality of workmanship and reliability equally rated (each with a maximum of 15 points) and the "cleanliness of the work" with 5 points.

A week in New York

Students have one week to be superior to a "project". "The idea with the spider I came during a work placement in the Valais," says Kuhn. His girlfriend - she is also the second in Grenchen Year of training at the School of Watchmaking - it was also original and Roland Wyss she was to be implemented. "I had been at the end of the feeling that the work is well done, but I immediately get the first prize, but then I was surprised," says Stefan Kuhn says. Has he not now a one-week trip to New York won.

Samuel Schmid from Langendorf has also garnered an award for those most original work. His Cadran[dial], adorned with a colorful snake "snake" on pins and eccentric to be taken. For the 18-year-old liver Berger is actually already the second award. Last year he won first place in the Patek Philippe competition, which focuses more on technical aspects of each of the clocks.

Awards ceremony in La Chaux-de-Fonds

Lenny Hohberg (18) from Bern, finally, the five-member jury was impressed with his creation, which is almost a political statement. "Why can not even be inspired by current issues in the newspaper," laughs Hohberg and shows a standing Helvetia, which mauled her spear with a rotating 1 cent Euro coin as soon as you turn on the pointer mechanism. But he got the 7th Price competition. All eight award-winners also received a Cartier Clock.

The three winning Grenchner watchmaker apprentices were awarded their prizes on Saturday afternoon at a celebratory event of the Institute Cartier Horlogerie in La Chaux de Fonds."

-----------------------------------

The Tour always has great Hosts. [Nik Blamauer, out recent Austrian Host, previously won a similar prize in the Glashutte competition.]

p

Thanks p, looking forward to receive the watch.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

I like the idea of a clear back. I recall it was pretty thick metal so I can see it happening without too much trouble. Ernie glad to see you are on board for a hosting look forward to your input.
    pithy likes this.
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1969 Omega Speedmaster

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information