WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 2
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Thanks. I think it was NOS from the 70s. I had ordered it for another watch, not realizing that it was actually two-tone. It's not a band I would normally wear, but it seemed to fit this watch well enough.

Ok, I've had a chance to have a quick look see at our watch, and so far, it has a bent hairspring, and has suffered a shock of some kind, and a severe one at that. I think there also may be an issue with the pallet fork, it doesn't seem to lock on the exit stone, but I didn't take it apart, and the auto module is obscuring the jewels of the fork. The spring seems unusually stiff, but maybe I'm too used to the really old ones which I've seen a lot of lately. The compass needle is not demagnetized, it follows a piece of steel readily enough, but certainly doesn't work properly. It floats readily enough, so I'm not sure what is up with it, it is beyond my ken. I will take into school tomorrow where the Professeurs can also have a look, and we will straighten the hairspring and examine the pallet fork under high magnification. I'll be able to get some pics hopefully, and we'll proceed with trying to make the thing run. This will involve a proper service and lube, and any additional problems should come to light at that point. The crown, as we have read, is still in Texas where it will probably reside until found by archaeologists.

An interesting day. This watch is a veritable sea of faults. I suspect that some of these were placed deliberately, because there is no way that I can see that a watch in normal service would have so much wrong with it. Is that the idea? So we can all have a repair to do? Anyway, here is what's what and what I did:
    First and foremost, the watch doesn't run because the balance staff is broken. Second, the jewels on the pallet fork are out to lunch. The exit stone doesn't even touch the escape wheel, and I'll get to the train in a moment. The arm of the pallet fork is bent, and we gently tried to straighten it after we re-aligned the jewels. Not happy with the performance after this, so we chucked the pallet fork and it now boasts a gleaming new one. Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed the staff was broken on the balance and I spent some time on the hairspring making it round and flat again. It had gotten bent against the regulator pins. In addition to this, the balance cock was also not flat, and had a distorted screw hole, so we tossed it and installed another one, with the fine tune regulator. The train bridge looks decidedly out of place, as it is discoloured and was once gold plated. The jewels all need adjustment because the end shake is totally out of whack. I did not do this, that is for another stop on its journey. We also decide not to do the clean and lube, also for another time and place. It is still missing a crown, we couldn't find anything really suitable.
    I replaced the missing screw for the pallet fork bridge, and we re-assembled the watch and stuck it on the Witschi for a quick evaluation, as it was now running merrily along. I have included pics of most of this, as well as a shot of our main classroom. The last thing I should mention is that when we closed the case, the watch stopped, and we couldn't readily ascertain why, so this, too is a puzzle waiting to be solved. It runs fine without the caseback on. I also blued (slightly unsuccessfully) the centre rotor screw. Perhaps everybody can blue a screw or two on the journey and it will look very posh when it is all done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a couple more pics of the work in progress, including a shot of the Witschi analysis. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to the watch in her next stop.

Last edited by Outta Time; October 14th, 2010 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Here are a couple more pics of the work in progress, including a shot of the Witschi analysis. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to the watch in her next stop.
    Now that is cool, gotta love seeing it run, Good job
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1969 Omega Speedmaster

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

facts stranger than fiction

Rob, it's not a bench test and this is more or less the condition the watch was sourced in. The bridge is from a Rado 2836 (that also had an interesting life). The original bridge had two broken hole jewels. One of the wheels had a broken pivot. The watch had no apparent contamination despite the lack of a crown, but there was a lot of interesting material under the bezel and the original crystal had plenty of scars. Until REG gives up the "story", we'll just have to theorize. If anyone is near Sarasota stop in and ask him.

That looks like a great classroom/lab and all that light is wonderful. It would be good if someone could share the history and other details of the school - particularly with all the current interest we have in training. Please convey the Tour's special thanks to the staff.

If there are others in Canada interested in "hosting" the Watch - PM pithy ASAP - otherwise it's headed for a long boat ride.

Great job with all the heavy lifting, Rob!

pithy

Re: facts stranger than fiction

It was a rewarding experience, I must say, and I do enjoy a bit of problem solving. This watch would have been an excellent teaching aid and project, as it offered so many interesting little challenges in virtually all areas. Well, I can help promote the school a bit, we are the last surviving watchmaker's school in Canada, located in Trois-Rivičres, Quebec. The schools in Toronto and Montreal closed in 1988. The school dates back to after the second World War, when returning soldiers were offered training in watchmaking as a new career. The course is a two year one split into two sections, with the second one specializing in Complications, like chronographs, repeaters and grandfather clocks. If I remember correctly, the total hours are 2600. Although we are a WOSTEP school, full WOSTEP certification requires 3000 hours, again if memory serves. The school has a website: http://www2.csduroy.qc.ca/Bel-Avenir/horlogerie.htm
    We have a comprehensive library which includes many out of print manuals and documents, and an exhaustive inventory of parts numbering in the millions, and no, they don't sell parts, just to anticipate the inevitable question. Costs for tuition and materials run about 5 grand, roughly, if you are from outside the province. Outside the country is considerably higher, more like 25 grand. (We had a student from Madagascar) Currently there are 5 of us Anglophones at the school attempting to speak broken French, and hilarity usually ensues. Our Chief Horologist, Professeur Robert Plourde speaks excellent English, so no worries there for any one who doesn't speak French. He is the son of one of the founding watchmakers/instructors, Michel Plourde. It is very cheap to live in the town, and we have all had a very enjoyable stay here, as it is really quite beautiful. It is also the oldest industrialized town in North America, founded in 1634. It is the second oldest city in Canada, next to Quebec city. I have included a couple pics.

mitadoc and redfever like this.

about the Tour

in response to recent queries:

What is the "Tour"?

A unique vintage watch is making its way from "watchmaker" to "watchmaker" around the world.

What is the purpose of the Tour?

There is none! It seemed like fun and it was hoped that some higher purpose would evolve. Perhaps the local photos of the watch and the host's experiences with it will give some insights into the lives of those whose usernames appear on the forum. Technically, the ETA mechanical is a movement we should all become well versed in.

Who is a "watchmaker"?

A watchmaker is a regular poster on the watchmaking forum. Those hosting the watch will include professionals, students, skilled hobbyists and those just starting their own self directed exploration of watchmaking.

How do I get involved?

1. Follow the Tour in the forum and provide input. This is important.
    2. Host the watch.

What is involved in "hosting"?

The watch is mailed to you. You can perform a repair on it - but you are not obligated to do anything to the watch other than mail it to the next "watchmaker" in about a week. Most hosts will "time" it, take a few interesting photos of the watch in local settings and post about their experiences with it on the forum. To host - PM pithy.

What ultimately happens to the watch?

When the Tour is concluded, the watch will be disposed of in a manner consistent with the collective wishes of the hosts.

Question beat

The watch showed up in T-Town today for redirection and was still running. The postal service is obviously a direct replacement for a winding machine. Attached is a beat graph (98.4%). Pithy reduced the height of the movement ring, resized the back and closed the case. And the watch is still running.

Pithy likes the:

Rodania strap - particularly the extreme taper between the lug width and the buckle width.

Blued rotor screw - this is perfect. Heat or chemical?

Crystal and fitting. Mineral glass?

The Tour needs forum input. Should the watch attend more school or go on a cruise?

Re: beat

Heat, via alcohol lamp. I must admit I'm a blue crazy fool. What about sending it to Lititz?

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information