WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 23
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

I am getting a serious case of jet lag. A heavy dose of bbq at the Rendevous is in order.

Last edited by dacattoo; December 21st, 2012 at 19:34.

According to FedEx, the watch has arrived at its next stop. It was an honor and a pleasure being part of the tour.
    dacattoo likes this.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Albion, MI, USA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

The watch has arrived in sunny Albion, Michigan.
    Name:  IMG_9261a.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  65.7 KB
    If you ever make it to town, be sure to stop in at Cascarelli's for some great food!

Name:  IMG_9269a.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  34.7 KBName:  IMG_9260a.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  61.8 KB
    Last edited by clock40man; December 28th, 2012 at 20:01.
    Need parts? Tech manuals? Serial Number lookup? Hidden Content

I love these old main streets. Albion is one of the few that still has red brick.
    Name:  IMG_9279aJPG.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  54.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by clock40man View Post
    The watch has arrived in sunny Albion, Michigan. . . . . . Name:  IMG_9260a.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  61.8 KB
    Derek, thank you for Hosting the Watch! Would you be willing to answer a few questions about watchmaking in middle America? p

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Derek, thank you for Hosting the Watch! Would you be willing to answer a few questions about watchmaking in middle America? p
    Sure thing!

Quote Originally Posted by clock40man View Post
    Sure thing!
    Excellent, Derek!

This is a long list but a lot of people want to know about the professional lives of watchmakers. This group includes other watchmakers, watchmaking customers, hobbyists and those considering the trade as a vocation.

Can you tell us about:

"Where did you receive your formal training?"

"What is your primary cleaning machine?"

"What is your primary timing machine?"

"How long has Hadfield's downtown location been open?"

"How many watchmakers work in your shop?"

"Do you accept mail in repairs?"

"What is you usual turn around time for mechanical watch service?"

"Are there types of repairs that you generally don't perform?"

"Are there some types of watches that you service that might surprise the average WUS reader?"

"How many hours per week do you spend at the bench?"

"What things are most important to you in creating a good work environment for watch repair?"

"Are you ever surprised at some on the watches that your customers bring in (Albion isn't exactly L.A. or N.Y.C.)?"

"What are the things that you enjoy most about your work?"

Thanks in advance!

p
    Last edited by pithy; January 5th, 2013 at 15:42.

See below.
    Last edited by clock40man; January 7th, 2013 at 16:27. Reason: Double post.

Excellent, Derek!

This is a long list but a lot of people want to know about the professional lives of watchmakers. This group includes other watchmakers, watchmaking customers, hobbyists and those considering the trade as a vocation.

Can you tell us about:

"Where did you receive your formal training?"
    I received my training from the NAWCC's School of Horology. I first took one of the 4 day Introduction to American Pocket Watch Repair workshops, and then started working on my own watches. I then branched out into wristwatch repair, taking what I had learned and using that knowledge to work on ever more complicated watches. Soon after, I started taking in work from local jewelry stores. About a year later, I decided to go down to Columbia, PA and take the NAWCC's School of Horology Watch Repair and Restoration Program. The school did offer an accredited Watch Repair and Restoration program, but has since dropped the program. You can still get the same training I did, but you'll have to get it from individual classes, instead of all at once. The NAWCC school is one of the few that offers training in the repair and restoration of vintage and antique watches. After finishing the Program, I worked an additional 2 1/2 months in the school's service center.

"What is your primary cleaning machine?"
    I've owned and used a L&R (mechanical), a Peerless (mechanical) with "automatic operation" (it has a washing-machine like effect, it turns clockwise, then reverses itself and turns counter-clockwise), a Vari-matic (ultrasonic), and a Watchmaster (ultrasonic). I still own and use the Watchmaster, but I usually use the Peerless. I'm impressed by how clean the Peerless can get those movements, despite the fact it doesn't have an ultrasonic funtion.

"What is your primary timing machine?"
    Microset Watch Timer Pro. I can't say enough good things about this machine. I spent some extra money and got about every option they offer. It's American made by a small businessman. It automatically finds the beat, shows the amplitude, gives a readout like the old Tickoprint or Vibrograph machines (with your laptop), and can also be used to time Accutrons. They also sell an optional device that can be used to vibrate hairsprings (I bought one, but haven't tried it out, yet).

"How long has Hadfield's downtown location been open?"
    I opened the shop November 1st, 2011.

"How many watchmakers work in your shop?
    I hired another NAWCC graduate (he completed the same program I did) in July of 2012, so now there are 2 of us.

"Do you accept mail in repairs?"
    Absolutely!

"What is you usual turn around time for mechanical watch service?"
    1-2 months for a complete service.

"Are there types of repairs that you generally don't perform?"
    Making parts. While I did learn some parts making in school (balance staffs, stems, set bridges, etc.), we've been so busy
    doing work that doesn't require making parts, I haven't gotten around to getting the equipment I need to do the parts making. I have yet to service a repeater of any kind.

"Are there some types of watches that you service that might surprise the average WUS reader?"
    I advertise that we can repair any watch, old or new! I've been very lucky to have gotten a lot of training and experience on a wide variety of watches. I've worked on fusees (we were even taught how to repair the chains), Chinese duplex, Patek Phillipe (antique pocket watches), Vacheron Constantin (antique pocket watches), just about every model of vintage tuning fork Accutron, complicated chronographs (with moonphase, day, date, month, hour recorder, etc.). I also have training and experinece with modern watches, including the ETA 7750, ETA 6498 (my chronometer project watch was good enough to send to the International Chronometre Competition, the 1st for an American student), and modern quartz watches (servicing them, not just replacing movements). A few months ago I serviced a newer Omega Planet Ocean with co-axial escapement.

"How many hours per week do you spend at the bench?"
    I'd say the average over the last year has been 20-30 hours. I'd like to spend more, but I'm also the owner, so it takes time to order parts and supplies, and to do the "behind the scenes" type of things that keep the business going.

"What things are most important to you in creating a good work environment for watch repair?"
    Organization and cleanliness!

"Are you ever surprised at some on the watches that your customers bring in (Albion isn't exactly L.A. or N.Y.C.)?"
    I've serviced so many watches, they start to blur together. We also get a lot of interesting watches through the mail. Some of the most memorable that have come from local customers are a 1960's Heuer GMT Autavia pilot's chronograph, a very rare E. Howard Series III with nickel plates (less than 100 produced), and an antique Rockford in a Rockford marked reversible Muckle case (this relatively rare combination came in just last week). The Omega co-axial mentioned above also came to me from a local jeweler.

"What are the things that you enjoy most about your work?"
    I've always enjoyed working on mechanical devices. I love the satisfaction of taking something that was neglected and turning it back into a beautiful, functional timepiece.
    Last edited by clock40man; January 8th, 2013 at 21:07.
    Mirius likes this.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information