WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 24
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

I love this thread! I'm not a watchmaker, but I'd love to host it in later... It could go on a trip to Atlanta with me, and visit not only the world's most traffic-plagued city, but the world's largest drive in, the world's busiest airport, and the world's largest aquarium.
    If time is the most valuable thing we have, don't watches deserve an important place in our lives?

My collection:
    -Seiko SE-SNA799 Chronograph
    -1967 Omega Seamaster Geneve Automatic (Turler signed)
    -1950s 17J 10k Gold-Filled Longines Manual
    -Fossil Arkitekt FS2095

Well, I thought I heard the rotor rubbing. As you can see it is rubbing on the bridges. The bearing seems to be okay, the rotor itself seems to be bent slightly, so I'm going to bend it back, and check to be sure the automatic winding function works properly.
    Name:  IMG_9604a.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  28.4 KB
    Last edited by clock40man; January 25th, 2013 at 00:03.
    Need parts? Tech manuals? Serial Number lookup? Hidden Content

Here is the trace seen on my Microset when it arrived. I decided before doing anything else, I'd demagnetize it.

Name:  Microset before.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  74.5 KB

And here is what it looks like after demagnetizing. The problem appears to be solved.

Name:  Microset after.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  83.0 KB
    Last edited by clock40man; January 23rd, 2013 at 23:37.

That is a great picture.

The before and afters of demagnetization are dramatic.

Derek, back at

WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 23

there are watches pictured on either side of the Tour Watch. What's the story on them?

Also, would you please tell us about your school watch and the European time trials?

Thanks.

p
    "PLEASE NOTE: No watchmakers were maimed during this filming." Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by clock40man View Post
    Here is the trace seen on my Microset when it arrived. I decided before doing anything else, I'd demagnetize it.

Name:  Microset before.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  74.5 KB

And here is what it looks like after demagnetizing. The problem appears to be solved.

Name:  Microset after.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  83.0 KB
    Here is the latest update. The watch still has problems. The power reserve has dropped to about 6 hours or so. I checked the barrel and the cover had come off, I put it back on, but it still doesn't have much of a power reserve. I suspect an issue with the barrel and/or mainspring.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    The before and afters of demagnetization are dramatic.

Derek, back at

WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 23

there are watches pictured on either side of the Tour Watch. What's the story on them?

Also, would you please tell us about your school watch and the European time trials?

Thanks.

p
    The watch on the left is an example of a watch I marketed through my Kickstarter project. I offered a wide variety of ETA 6498 or 6497 movements (including 2 choices of skeleton movement), dial, hand, and case combinations (all with display backs) so that customers could mix and match what components they would like. The watch on the right uses the case, movement and hands offered through the project, but I found a dial I liked, and had my name added, making my own modern "private label" watch. Any of these watches are still available, in case anyone is interested!

While I was a student at the NAWCC's School of Horology, we were given our own new ETA 6498 movement and after we practiced servicing it over and over and over, we were given upgraded parts. It's been a long time, but I believe the parts were a balance wheel, staff, roller table, hairspring blank, hairspring collet, escape wheel, and pallet. Then we were told to "make a chronometer". We had to install the staff, poise the wheel, and then vibrate the hairspring to the balance. Then we checked the timing of the watch in various positions. If it passed this test, it went on to more controlled testing, the accuracy was checked in a number of different positions (crown down, dial up, dial down, etc.), and at specific temperatures. At the end of the testing, it was determined that my watch was the only one good enough to be sent to the International Chronometre Competition, the first for an American student, and while it's true that I didn't win the competition in my category (student watch), none of the other watches in that category ended up qualifying, either. It is a tough competition! There weren't many watches from any category that passed. I still enjoy going to google and typing in "Derek Hadfield watch competition".
    Last edited by clock40man; January 31st, 2013 at 03:46.

The watch will go in the mail soon. I checked all the endshakes, and found too little endshake in the escape wheel. I merely moved the upper jewel up slightly and the problem was solved. The watch now has about 36 hours or so of power reserve, and the automatic winding feature appears to be working correctly.

To sum up. I demagnetized the watch, corrected a problem with the rotor (it was rubbing), reinstalled the barrel cover, and adjusted the escape wheel end shake.

Name:  IMG_9749a.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  68.7 KB
    Last edited by clock40man; February 5th, 2013 at 16:20.

We like to start them at an early age.

Name:  IMG_9752a.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  103.2 KBName:  IMG_9753a.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  55.3 KBName:  IMG_7277a.JPG
Views: 556
Size:  45.4 KB
    Last edited by clock40man; February 5th, 2013 at 16:18.
    hooligan likes this.

rMs, I thought it was going to Stephensville, WISCONNNNNNSIN.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"PLEASE NOTE: No watchmakers were maimed during this filming." Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information