WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 29
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Time marches on and so does the Watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

The tour watch has just arrived safely in Kent, just down the road from the heart of British motor racing at Brands Hatch circuit.
    More to follow soon.
    Mirius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanguero View Post
    The tour watch has just arrived safely in Kent, just down the road from the heart of British motor racing at Brands Hatch circuit. More to follow soon.
    Is this its @ current position?

Yes, that's it.

The watches first outing was to a live studio broadcast of 'Later' with 'Jools Holand' a UK TV music program. This week featuring the Manic Street Preachers, V. V. Brown, Kacey Musgraves, Cécile McLorin Salvant & Poliça as wel as the tour watch. (apologies for the photo quality, the lighting and restriction on photography for most of the session means only a bad phone camera picture.
    Name:  Pics (1).jpg
Views: 587
Size:  62.1 KB

Then off to the true home of world timekeeping at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich

Name:  DSCF1912 (Medium).JPG
Views: 636
Size:  191.6 KB

Here on the original world meridian marker at 0 degrees east and west,

Name:  DSCF1908 (Medium).JPG
Views: 589
Size:  205.5 KB

Looking out over the old Naval College and Canary Wharf (soon to follow a picture form the top of one of those towers looking back this way)
    Name:  DSCF1902 (Medium).JPG
Views: 585
Size:  147.9 KB

The old public Imperial measurement standards
    Name:  DSCF1905 (Medium).JPG
Views: 592
Size:  206.7 KB

Finally the noon ball that was hoisted to the top of the pole and dropped at 12 noon to indicate a set time for the naval ships moored in the Thames at the Naval College. This was the basis of all navigation until the invention of the reliable marine chronometer.
    Name:  DSCF1916 (Medium).JPG
Views: 680
Size:  56.8 KB
    Last edited by Tanguero; October 13th, 2013 at 19:40.
    P. Loatman likes this.

I have just completed some work on the watch.

Name:  DSCF0008.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  107.7 KB
    While not the height of "haute horlogerie" I have managed to get the compass working reliably.
    The needle sits on a broad cone pivot on the lower glass. The brass hub of the needle contains a single 'jewel' with a conical depression that should contact the point of the cone to give a low friction support. The needle wasn't moving freely at all which in the end turned out to be due to the 'jewel' sitting too high in the brass hub, allowing the edge of the hub to rest on the pivot instead of the tip being in contact with the jewel.

A little adjustment of the depth of the jewel within the hub
    Name:  DSCF0001.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  60.0 KB

The needle now balances on the pivot correctly and moves freely. Note that the needle has been demagnetised at some point and the pivot point is intentionally not quite in the middle of the needle. This is to allow for the "dip angle" of the earth's magnetic field which will tend to pull the north pole of the needle down toward the centre of the earth.

Name:  DSCF0004.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  64.4 KB

I then carefully magnetised the needle by stroking it against a strong magnet, at which point it sat level on it's pivot and pointed north!

Name:  DSCF0009.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  79.4 KB

I thoroughly demagnetised the movement however on reassembling the watch the compass needle stopped seeking north. Untill I turned the bezel, when the needle turned with it. Removing the brass bezel and demagnetising the steel spring cured that and the compass now works as it should.

Name:  DSCF0012.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  95.8 KB

Long term I don't know how susceptible the bezel spring or the steel parts of the movement will be to being magnetised by the moving field from the compass needle, but in order to keep everything working as it should it is probably best to remove the movement from the case and demagnetise it separately.
    Last edited by Tanguero; October 19th, 2013 at 02:23.
    trim, Mirius and Dave S like this.

Olé!!

Tanguero takes the bull (and the compasssmith challenge) by the horns.

Bravo and well done!!!

The tour watch is now winging it's way to Finland (tempus fugit?)

I took it "down the pub" by special request of Pithy before sending it on it's way;

Name:  DSCF2106s.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  239.3 KB

Name:  DSCF2108s.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  153.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2109s.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  164.0 KB

The watch has landed to Finland and headed to Ii. A place spelled with 'i' & 'i'. Quite many times the internet shops are giving me hard time not putting enough letters in the city name.

Now it's good time to show you my not-so-long-ago-finished watchtinkering table. I think I was little fortunate. Retiring watchmaker in Kokkola was willing to sell it to me in fair price. Throughout sanding and oak-finish to give a little bit aged look. Table is made of birch. Had to lift it a little bit and now it's very nice. Table height is now 110 cm.
    The table was made in 1952 and has been used by two generations before me, so little bit of finnish watchmaking history comes along.

I am actually working right now a finish watch, "Rudolf Piili", which I just learned, was a small family business in Imatra, they had their custom brand back in 60's. AS cal. 1700 movement and divers case.

On top of staking set there are few russians, Slava alarm clock and Vostok Kormandirskie, ready to ship. These are the only russian watches I've dealt with so don't get wrong impression. I do others too ;)
    More to come..

Becoming WUSF6 trained watchmaker one step at a time Hidden Content

Wheels go 'round in circles . . . . . .

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread Information