WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 33
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Well part of the problem is that the needle had two Norths! With the other side of the needle now having the correct polarity, it behaves a bit better but still stutters, acting like there is some mechanical binding. Quick pic:
    Name:  20151031_093311.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  109.4 KB
    Last edited by mars-red; October 31st, 2015 at 20:09.
    Eidian likes this.
    My blog: Hidden Content

The compass module was previously dealt with extensively in the classic, "Tour of the UK" (volume 3, episode 16, "Superoso Tangrene vs. the Evil Doctor Magneto at the GML", ©2013 WUSGN)

WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 29

The good Tanguero and I have been in communication, he suggested I try a crystal lift. I tried, but my lift is not up to the task at all. The jaws are not accurate enough to grip a hard crystal consistently, and are also not accurate enough to grip anything protruding such a small amount. I have one more idea to try. Removal of a crystal seems like such an absurd thing to get hung up on.

Quote Originally Posted by mars-red View Post
    The good Tanguero and I have been in communication, he suggested I try a crystal lift. I tried, but my lift is not up to the task at all. The jaws are not accurate enough to grip a hard crystal consistently, and are also not accurate enough to grip anything protruding such a small amount. I have one more idea to try. Removal of a crystal seems like such an absurd thing to get hung up on.
    just super glue anything to it and clean up with acetone.
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    2009 Omega Seamaster 300

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim View Post
    just super glue anything to it and clean up with acetone.
    I tried that a few nights ago, and the crystal finally let go with an impressive "pow!". I used a piece of 1" brass stock that was faced off, and even after leaving it soaking in acetone for a few evenings the brass was still stuck to it. I tried heat to soften the glue and that freed the crystal but unfortunately the heat cracked it along one edge. So I'm sorry to say I'll have to order a new crystal for it. :( Them's the breaks.

Someone here suggested using super glue and a lug bolt to pull a crystal off a while ago, worked perfectly for me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eidian; November 30th, 2015 at 02:29.

Quote Originally Posted by mars-red View Post
    I tried that a few nights ago, and the crystal finally let go with an impressive "pow!". I used a piece of 1" brass stock that was faced off, and even after leaving it soaking in acetone for a few evenings the brass was still stuck to it. I tried heat to soften the glue and that freed the crystal but unfortunately the heat cracked it along one edge. So I'm sorry to say I'll have to order a new crystal for it. :( Them's the breaks.
    dang, well it's not a perfect science but I've had luck with it. My next thought is use a command strip in the same fashion, next time.
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    2009 Omega Seamaster 300

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

One quick update, I have sent the watch along to the next host. My apologies to the next recipient for sending it still needing that outer crystal. :( I have only recently regained my workshop (new, bigger workshop at least!) but still have my watch bench sealed up and pretty inaccessible, and that's not likely to change in the next few months. Perhaps this winter the watch projects will get some love again.

Anyway, I think the problem with the compass is the needle balance (or lack thereof). The point it rests on is nice and sharp. With the outer crystal removed it was quite apparent that the needle is very much out of balance, like the lume paint on the one side is making that side a lot heavier. The needle always wants to hang out of plane with the crystals, and there is precious little clearance. I really think balancing the needle will take care of the compass problems. I re-polarized the needle while I had the watch, but I would advise the next recipient to verify it is still correct. What seems to me to be the easiest way to balance the needle is probably a dab of paint or something on the extreme opposite end of the needle, but perhaps there's a better way.

I wonder, are there any markings we could put on the box when shipping the tour watch that might lessen the chances of the shipping carrier exposing it to magnetic fields? I recall reading in a previous post that the needle was repolarized once already, but by the time I got it it had to be done again. Especially given how difficult it is to access the needle, it would be great if the hosts didn't have to worry about it.

-Max

The World Watch Tour continues, with the traveler's arrival in Fredericksburg, TX!
    It is conceivable that the delay in arrival may have been, in part, due to disorientation.
    It seems the little Breil may have lost its bearings...as its compass crystal is broken...and the corresponding needle was packed with its baggage...but after reading previous threads, this is old news.
    Perhaps this will be rectified?
    In the next couple of weeks we should arrange a tour of the local sites.
    Will keep in touch.

Update:
    I had expected that Signore Breil was visiting Central Texas for a tour of the local sites and in search of Texas hospitality...perhaps some barbecue...a good beer...and Gemütlichkeit...

I had considered a trail ride by horseback, but it seems he was still very disoriented and incapable of staying in the saddle. So first order of business was to deal with the compass...which arrived in separate packaging with the rest of Breil's luggage (the crystal...see attached).
    Name:  P1000357.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  102.1 KB

The compass is actually oriented N-S correctly. However, it is out of poise...such that when en pointe the north is constantly dipping toward the watch crystal. One possibility: there is more mass in the north needle than the south needle. Okay...what do I have to add to the south needle.
    But wait...Eureka...!!!
    A closer look yields this observation: the setting for the needle jewel (which serves as the fulcrum) is riveted to a SLOT in the needle...and it seems shifted off-center...
    Name:  P1000354.JPG
Size:  140.4 KB
    So maybe no need to add/subtract weight...just move the fulcrum to the center-of-gravity?!?!?

A gingerly shift of the toward the offending North yielded this result:
    Name:  P1000356.JPG
Size:  179.0 KB

There is a very slight East-West issue...but sometimes when "good is good enough"..."better is worse".

Great...lets press that upper crystal in an go on a trail ride! I've scheduled us for 6pm with Hill Country Trailrides.

"Signore Breil...time to get a move on...."
    "What do you mean your not ready because its not time yet...?"
    "Well, according to my watch it is 5:20pm and it takes 30 minutes to get there..."
    "Oh...according you your watch...wait...your watch is stopped! What the....!?!?!"

Anyone like to point out what arrested Signore Breil's forward progress?

Well, I expected Signore Breil was here to tour the sights...but it seems that the little traveler is expecting a spa treatment...

I was actually hoping to not take a peek under the hood, at all. Although unusual, a watch can actually make it across my bench without the need to look inside. But, at least one issue will have to be sorted...and if I'm going to take a look...it may as well be reasonably thorough.

Meanwhile, I have a couple of other folks to satisfy...so Senore Breil is now number 3 in the queue.

Until the next installment,
    BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; October 21st, 2016 at 18:31.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread Information