WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 34
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Quote Originally Posted by BenchGuy View Post
    . . . . A closer look yields this observation: the setting for the needle jewel (which serves as the fulcrum) is riveted to a SLOT in the needle...and it seems shifted off-center . . . .
    Lawzee!

Update:
    the setting for the needle jewel (which serves as the fulcrum) is riveted to a SLOT in the needle...and it seems shifted off-center...
    That's fantastic news. And I'm glad the needle made it there with its polarity intact.

Anyone like to point out what arrested Signore Breil's forward progress?
    That's highly unfortunate. The watch was fully wound and ticking strong when I packaged it up. I hope it's nothing serious.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Okay...f6 is supposed to be a watchmakers forum...I refuse to spoon feed for the "why is it stopped?" question. But maybe a tablespoon sized hint...what time is it?
    There is more to come...Breil is sporting a new compass crystal...and has been on a couple of outings...and there are NEW factoids to share about compass errors...and maybe an improvement in the offing...
    BG

Give me a second...
    Cool project.

...what time is it?
    I think the punch line is "time for a new watch" :D
    My blog: Hidden Content

I should have had the little Breil sent to me a long time ago. Nothing on the bench when I agreed to host...and been covered up since his arrival!

However, we are starting to visit sites together. I live in the Texas Hill Country...where the culture is distinctly rural. Senore Breil and I started out on a country venture...and he at least got to experience Fall with a country flare before the rains set in:
    Name:  Fall1.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  1.63 MB

This is one of my best friends. A very good listener...but doesn't offer much to the conversation...which is just about perfect.

More later, BG

Decided it was time for Senore Breil to experience more of the local culture. Camp Verde, TX is well known...right...what do you mean you've never heard of it?!?!?

In any event there is a nice store and restaurant kind of in the middle of nowhere (although it is the middle of "somewhere" for me). The restaurant and its staff are the main attraction for me...and I usually manage one visit a week or so.

Not to be overlooked, however...is Camp Verde's history...and thus its status as a Historical Landmark...and a failed experiment in "alternative transportation" for the US Army in the 1800s.

This tells the story well: History | Camp Verde General Store - Camp Verde, Texas
    Name:  CV2.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  1.58 MBName:  CV1.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  1.61 MB

Tried to get in on a camel ride...but they have been retired, and Breil showed little interest.

As for another issue: compass
    In the course of evaluating the compass, de-gaussing the watch, and replacing the compass crystal, I noted that the bezel retaining spring affected compass position (Breil seems to have paid less attention to selection of non-ferrous spring wire than Rolex). Actually, the wire was carrying a pretty strong magnetic field...but after thorough de-Gaussing still influenced the little needle due to its ferrous content. Expect to obtain suitable non-ferrous 0.5mm spring wire substitute and form a new retaining spring. Otherwise, the compass now works reasonably well. However, it seems to also be attracted to ferrous elements in the movement, as noted by dipping toward the dial consistently in certain positions.

I expect we will be out and about more throughout December...then it will be time to find a new host...
    Regards, BG
    Justaminute likes this.

Decided it was time for Senore Breil to experience more of the local culture. Camp Verde, TX is well known...right...what do you mean you've never heard of it?!?!?

In any event there is a nice store and restaurant kind of in the middle of nowhere (although it is the middle of "somewhere" for me). The restaurant and its staff are the main attraction for me...and I usually manage one visit a week or so.

Not to be overlooked, however...is Camp Verde's history...and thus its status as a Historical Landmark...and a failed experiment in "alternative transportation" for the US Army in the 1800s.

This tells the story well: History | Camp Verde General Store - Camp Verde, Texas
    Name:  CV2.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  1.58 MBName:  CV1.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  1.61 MB

Tried to get in on a camel ride...but they have been retired, and Breil showed little interest.

As for another issue: compass
    In the course of evaluating the compass, de-gaussing the watch, and replacing the compass crystal, I noted that the bezel retaining spring affected compass position (Breil seems to have paid less attention to selection of non-ferrous spring wire than Rolex). Actually, the wire was carrying a pretty strong magnetic field...but after thorough de-Gaussing still influenced the little needle due to its ferrous content. Expect to obtain suitable non-ferrous 0.5mm spring wire substitute and form a new retaining spring. Otherwise, the compass now works reasonably well. However, it seems to also be attracted to ferrous elements in the movement, as noted by dipping toward the dial consistently in certain positions.

I expect we will be out and about more throughout December...then it will be time to find a new host...
    Regards, BG
    Good to see this still moving around the world. Excellent.
    pithy likes this.
    2016 Sinn EZM3F Mission Timer
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Obligatory tour map(s), with a little perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Thread Information