WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour - Page 6
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Re: setting issues

Very cool kid indeed, that expression is "next time bring me something challenging, all done" now go get help I think I have soiled myself!
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    2009 Omega Seamaster 300

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Biased&Critical View Post
    That look on his face giving it back to you is priceless.
    He is more discerning than his father

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    I don't know . . . He looks like a future sales manager for an AD practicing his sales pitch (and close)!

Great looking kid! Thanks for sharing.

pithy

p.s. There's still "room" on the tour.
    I would be delighted if he ends up doing something watch related!

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    The caption for this photo should simply be "Meh."
    Just the word I was groping for

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim View Post
    Very cool kid indeed, that expression is "next time bring me something challenging, all done" now go get help I think I have soiled myself!
    That would be me
    My blog: Hidden Content

Rob ('Outta Time' on WUS) has asked me the following question,

Hi Aditya

I am a watchmaking student in Quebec, Canada, and pithy has told us if we have some questions, we can email you. Thanks for letting us pick your brain!

My question is regarding pin pallet watches. I was told that they are still very popular in India, because quartz watches don't do well in the climate, and batteries in general are seen as wasteful and expensive. Can you comment on this? It is interesting to think that pin pallet watches have found a real comeback market, and are cheap and easy to repair. I have never seen an HMT watch in person, but I must say, they do look like good watches. Most of these are swiss lever, though, is that correct?

Thanks again for letting us irritate you with emails.

First of all, thank YOU for the question. Nice of you to take interest in the Indian watch scene.
    Your question is interesting because I have never come across an Indian made watch with a pin pallet escapement. Even in the heyday of the mechanical watch, to the best of my knowledge, Indian companies (HMT, Allwyn, Ricoh-India etc.) all used the swiss lever.

I rediscovered HMT only a few years ago. I had assumed that they were long gone. Little did I know that they had an outlet just 2 kilometres from my house . Most of their watches are quartz but there still is a sizeable mechanical presence.

I had a long chat with the person in charge and he said that in rural India people look at the watch as a utilitarian product. One buys a watch to know the time and then one does not wish to spend too much effort or money looking after it. Perhaps battery changes would be a bit of a bother if one had to travel to the next town to have it done.

The HMTs that my father has passed down to me all kept great time even before I serviced them. And this was after about 20 years of regular use and 10 in a drawer! This speaks volumes about the original Citizen movement design (most mechanical HMTs have license built Citizen movements).

I hope this explains, to some extent, why an affordable mechanical watch still has some demand in certain parts of India.

Aditya

These questions are from pithy

What's your favorite caliber to work on?
    I love working of old English fusee-levers.
    I also like the Molnija 3603. My skeleton wrist watch is based on this movement. I have some pocket watches from the 60s & 70s with much abused 3602 movements & they still keep great time!

What power loupe(s) do you use?
    10X. 15X when I need to take a close look.

Do you ever "switch" eyes?
    No, I invariably use my right eye. A great tip I came across on another forum is to leave the other eye open.

What you favorite place to hunt for old watches?
    Evilbay
    Last edited by aditya; February 24th, 2011 at 20:20.

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    Do you ever "switch" eyes?
    No, I invariably use my right eye. A great tip I came across on another forum is to leave the other eye open.
    Interesting. I'll give that a shot. As a very right-handed person, when I started coming up in this hobby I automatically stuck the loupe in the right eye and closed the left. I eventually learned that casual eyeball movement was much easier than consiously closing a single eye, and I could "wink", much easier with my right eye, so the loupe went into the left and I've been much more comfortable ever since.

I have some work to do this weekend, so I will certainly be approaching the job with both eyes open.

spin the compass

Where to now?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Re: spin the compass

Looks like we need volunteers in the UK/Europe, Russia, Africa, and South America to complete the full globetrotting experience.

Re: WUSF6 Watchmakers of the World Watch Tour

Hi,

I am very happy to give this nice watch a tour through the Netherlands and show him off in the one and only watch and clockmaking school left in the Netherlands.

Ronald

Well, the watch is on it's way to the next host. I had intended to give it a tour of historical Pune. That was not possible since I live in the outskirts and most of the interesting sights are quite a distance from here.

I was about to send it off when my wife asked why I didnt do what was possible for me to do? (she truly is the better half!) So here we are!

As it happens, Pune is an important hub for the Indian automobile industry. Two very important home grown players have their bases here. Most important, they are located within a few kilometres of where I live. So that's where I took our little watch before I sent it off.

1) TATA MOTORS

Tata Motors is a four wheeler manufacturer. They started out making Mercedes-Benz commercial vehicles under license but have also been making cars for many years now. They are probably best known as the makers of the Tata Nano, the most affordable car in the world. here's a picture (borrowed from the net)...

They were also in the news for buying JLR (Jaguar, Land-Rover) from Ford a few years ago.

Will write about the other company tomorrow.

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; March 12th, 2011 at 19:52.

2) BAJAJ AUTO

Bajaj Auto is a two and three wheeler manufacturer (the fourth largest in the world, according to their website!) They used to make vespa scooters under license but have dropped scooters since the last many years. They also make auto-rickshaws, three wheeled open cabs.

Their best known product is the Bajaj Pulsar (pic below, borrowed from the internet.)

The Pulsar was faked by the 'you-know-who's and sold as the 'Gulsar' in some markets a few years ago, if that is any measure of it's success .

I believe Bajaj Auto also has about 30% stake in KTM, the Austrian motorcycle makers.

So that's my little bit for our watch, not the tour I wanted to give it but something different.

Aditya

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information